Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Wild Burro Audio DIY full range speakers from Wild Burro Audio Labs

Old 19th January 2021, 12:59 AM   #1
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Excellent Cheap Redbook CD Player: Sony BDP-S2000ES

Hi All,

Knowing that Burro fans tend to luddites and budget conscious, I figured I'd share a tip. I recently found a BDP-S2000ES on Facebook for $40. It looks like these aren't super common, and they don't command much over $100 on Ebay, by contrast to some of the better known earlier ES SACD and CD players. It sounds EXTRAORDINARY. It destroys my CS4398 dac. Less grainy, better tonal balance, much more revealing (but not tonally forward), and great imaging. The biggest surprise is pace/timing/acceleration. This thing sounds incredibly musical!

There are other perks, too. It has a thick cast aluminum top and a really cool sapphire colored glass front that folds down. Way cooler than the BDP-S5000ES that immediately followed. (I think all ES units are nice, but some are fancier than others!) And, at only 10 years old, most should live a good long time.

If I had to guess, I'd say they aren't bringing more only because they are A) rare, and B) first gen blu-ray doesn't seem as sexy as a dedicated audio unit. But don't let that dissuade you! The only real downside is shelf space!

Happy hunting,

Paul
Old 24th February 2021, 04:22 PM   #2
Zero Cool is offline Zero Cool  United States
diyAudio Member

I have been looking for a replacement for my aging Sony 508ES that i use in my shop and just can't justify spending thousands for a shop CD player. Have been looking for something decent sounding and affordable. My Friend Doug pointed me to this post so I took your recommendation and bought one of these off eBay for $119 with remote. will take a listen when it arrives. One thing that caught my eye looking at the internal photos of this unit, is that it appears to use a standard Computer type drive unit. which hopefully is replaceable with other units should you need to repair it. I thought that alone was interesting enough to buy it and give it a go!

Zc
Old 25th February 2021, 02:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I think I saw that one go up shortly after the post and I wondered if somebody would grab it. I hope you like it!

Paul
Old 26th February 2021, 06:08 AM   #4
Zero Cool is offline Zero Cool  United States
diyAudio Member

it arrived today and yeah its pretty awesome sounding. the low level details are amazing. puts my old 508ES to shame for sure! Thank you for the recommendation!
Old 28th February 2021, 02:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Glad it's working for you! I'd be curious to know how it compares to the dedicated ES audio players. I had Ebay searches set for months on a couple of them, in addition to the Philips 963 that I wish I hadn't sold. I don't know how the S2000 would compare to other Sonys, but the price is right and it sounds good enough to me!

BTW Zero Cool, as I work on my first tube amp in awhile, I'm pining for the choke input dual chassis El Cheapo 6V6 amp I built so long ago with some rag tag chassis I got from you. I recall passing it off to some guy not terribly far from where I live now (before I lived in CO). But then, I never did get that giant power supply to stop buzzing mechanically, even after various attempts with different transformers and chokes!

Paul
Old 28th February 2021, 02:54 AM   #6
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

I was lucky to get sony xa20es, i am impressed. Unfortunately, no remote. I hope to be able to find some universal.
Old 28th February 2021, 02:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Nice! My S2000 didn't have a remote, but the remote for my newer Sony blu ray player works just fine (aside from lacking the build and bulk of the original).

Paul
  Reply to this post

Excellent Cheap Redbook CD Player: Sony BDP-S2000ESHide this!Advertise here!