• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Betsy-K: Big & Sealed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After emailing Douglas regarding cabs for a pair, he recommended two cubic foot sealed boxes. I prefer a sealed alignment. I have dimensions for such boxes. Has anyone tried this? If so, what about off-setting the driver? If so, how much? BSC correction? How wide the baffle?

I’ve built several pairs of speakers, but this is a new one to me in that it’s a “large” single driver in a large sealed box. I have also never dealt with BSC.

Regards,

Karl

here's a simple sim of Betsy K in a sealed box of 2 cubic feet

nmw8uQV.jpg

Big sealed boxes were the first thing I tried with the speakers that later became the BetsyK. (To be honest, the first cabs for them were an old pair of CL Sansuis with the drivers pulled out and a piece of MDF screwed right over the top of the original baffle.) If you don't want to use BSC, you definitely want something like that Altec box placed close to boundaries.

If you can tolerate some size and width but want something simple, GM posted a big triangular TL for them quite a long time ago. I'm not sure anyone has ever built it, but it promises more bass than a sealed box.

Paul

hornresp only considers power response - not what can happen with narrowing dispersion or breakup region. On, axis the published graph is pretty much what I saw my Betsy-k mounted in a 28 inch tall by 12 inch wide Karlson - box - imo, BetsyK has a nice sound on vocals in general.

freq_chart.jpg

David - how does one select that option to show the axial frequency response?

Hi freddi,

Calculate the standard power response then select Tools > Directivity > Response, and specify the desired off-axis angle. The default value is zero, which gives the on-axis pressure response. There are five directivity tools that you can play with - have fun :).

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 221
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 228
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.