• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Caintuck Audio Fest Redux

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Several years ago, I hosted a gathering of audio buffs and music lovers at my home in Pendleton County Kentucky. There were about 35 attendees from several states all across the country ….. many of them brought some of their audio equipment to share. We had a nice variety of amplifiers and loudspeakers and used my CEC top loading belt drive CD transport and Camelot Uther DAC for a front end.

Several of the attendees were well known members of the “cottage” audio industry and audio forums.

Several attendees brought food and beverages and it was a highly enjoyable long weekend of listening to music and discussing things audio related.

In February of this year, I opened a small storefront in Alexandria, Kentucky featuring my line of custom built open baffle loudspeakers, digital and analog front end equipment and several lines of amplifiers as well as some of the superb Stockfisch CDs and LPs.

I had modest expectations for the success of this venture since brick and mortar audio stores have fallen out of favor in most areas of the United States ….. but, this was something that was on my “bucket list” of things to do after retiring from the IT industry in December of 2015.

My expectations have pretty much been dead on. The vast majority of folks who poke their heads through the door of my storefront have been looking for car audio, home theater, electronics repair and one very nice lady who asked if I gave music lessons. I explained to her that I play guitar just well enough to know that I can’t do it for a living ….. :D

I guess the flashing “Music” sign in the front window was misinterpreted …..

Interestingly enough, the internet sales of my open baffle speakers have been brisk ….. most of my customers being on the east and west coasts of the US, a few of the western states and internationally.

So ….. it appears that January 31st of 2016 will be the last day of operation at the storefront unless things take a major and unexpected turnaround in the next five months.

As a last hurrah, it seems like a good idea to have a get together to commemorate the original Caintuck Audio Fest ….. and to have the event at my storefront location.

The early part of the month of November is usually pretty pleasant for travel in this part of the country and I plan to have the event the first weekend of November.
Friday through Sunday ….. November 4th, 5th and 6th.

It will be a good opportunity to hear the Betsy based open baffle speakers in a decent listening room with a variety of front end equipment and amplifiers.

Amplifiers on hand will be Flea Watt (chip), the Spud (pentode) and the Decware SE84UFO and Rachael.

Light refreshments will be provided …..

I will have the doors open at 9:00 AM on Friday and they will remain open until the last straggler makes his or her exit on Sunday …..

Discounts will be given on all of the products on hand at the storefront.

A list of some of the items available can be found here.

There will also be a nice selection of the Betsy open baffle speakers in various finishes.

I just LOVE audio road trips and hope that others share my enthusiasm.
Hoping to see as many folks as possible on one or all of the days of the Fest …..

Lodging accommodations are available within a few miles of the storefront.

The storefront address and contact information can be found on my website.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Happy listening,

Randy

GM

Joined 2003
Interestingly enough, the internet sales of my open baffle speakers have been brisk …..

So ….. it appears that January 31st of 2016 will be the last day of operation at the storefront

I just LOVE audio road trips and hope that others share my enthusiasm.
Hoping to see as many folks as possible on one or all of the days of the Fest …..

Bummer about the storefront, but can't say as I'm surprised as the only ones that seem to make it in my locale are clothing stores, especially the ultra cheap 'throwaway' kind and even then only if they have regular 'going out of business sales', then re-open under another name after taking a vacation......

Yeah, most 'native' folks around here are very on-line sales centric, especially for stuff available for same day pick-up or free shipping to store. Factor in the 'graying' of America and it's just going to increase at a similar rate. Ditto cyber crime if folks don't swap their bankcard for a protected credit one. Better yet, outlaw them. Sadly, this type of list of needed reform just goes on n' on........

I resemble that remark! Until my health went [further] South than I already am, I'd traveled extensively to all manner of events plus trips to races, etc., with dad and/or other adults from before I can remember and really miss it, but odds are I'm going to be limited to just reading about them since as large a metropolis as Hotlanta is, outside the Hispanic community it's pretty much a vast wasteland for diyers/hobbyists beyond yard, house maintenance/rehabs; even hotrodding/vehicle restoration is mostly dead as best I can tell.

Just really glad I didn't put off till retirement to do all the things I've done like I was strongly encouraged to do.

GM

Very cool ..... looking forward to hearing that and whatever else you are bringing ..... :cool:

So, for anyone who would like to meet Mr. Flea Watt himself in person ..... this will be a perfect opportunity.

At this point, I still have no idea how many folks will be in attendance over the three days of the Fest, but any time a group of music lovers and audio buffs get together to share audio goodies it makes for a good time.

To everyone planning to attend ..... have a safe trip,

Randy

Well ..... the Caintuck Audio Fest has come and gone and I would have to consider it a rousing success. Over the three days, there were about 25 visitors and a good time was had by all ..... :D

It was a real treat for me to have Steve and DeVon Deckert from Decware High Fidelity Engineering, Derek who builds the Flea Watt chip amplifiers and Jerry who builds the Spud amplifiers all under one roof at the same time.

The Betsy baffles were partnered with a nice variety of amplifiers and front end equipment and the visitors shared some great music that was enjoyed by everyone.

CaintuckFest_201601_small.JPG

CaintuckFest_201602_small.JPG

CaintuckFest_201603_small.JPG

CaintuckFest_201604_small.JPG

CaintuckFest_201605_small.JPG

My heartfelt thanks to everyone who made the Fest a special event for me.

Despite the fact that the storefront will be closing at the end of January 2017, anyone who is passing through the Cincinnati Ohio / northern Kentucky area is welcome to visit me at my home which is just a few minutes from the storefront location.
Just email me to let me know you are coming .....

The website will continue to be in place as well as online sales of the speakers I'm building.

I'm adding new finishes for the Betsy baffles on a regular basis, so check the "available speakers" link once in a while to see what's new.

Long live the Wild Burro Audio Betsy drivers ..... :cool:

Happy listening,

Randy

Yep ..... everyone said that they had a great time and wished that we could do this once a month ..... :D

Unfortunately, I was too busy playing host and enjoying myself to take more than 5 photos.

Larger versions of these photos can be found here :

http://www.randallrash.com/web_images/CaintuckFest_201601_medium.JPG

http://www.randallrash.com/web_images/CaintuckFest_201602_medium.JPG

http://www.randallrash.com/web_images/CaintuckFest_201603_medium.JPG

http://www.randallrash.com/web_images/CaintuckFest_201604_medium.JPG

http://www.randallrash.com/web_images/CaintuckFest_201605_medium.JPG

After January 2017, anyone who is passing through the northern Kentucky area is welcome to visit me at my home to hear the Betsy baffles or to just stop in for a chat .....:cool:

Just email me with your plans and we will make it happen .....

Happy listening,

Randy

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.