• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Whizzerless Betsy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Paul and Douglas, I just got caught up on Wild Burro and wish you both the best of luck in your adventures!

As for me, I was fortunate enough to purchase a pair of Betsy's years ago. Other than a quick listen in medium sized sealed boxes I haven't really put them thru their paces. I just remember they had a dynamic sound.

I am planning a new open baffle project and have had excellent results using 18" x 18" square baffles on top of H-frames. My next project is the Betsy's!

What made my purchase unique was that I purchased whizzerless Betsy's. Paul had a small number made and I wanted to try them. He was nice enough to send whizzers for me but I never attached them.

Question 1
The dustcap on the whizzerless Betsy is covered in a nice fabric. When attaching the whizzer, do I just glue it onto the fabric?

Question 2
Since I may leave the drivers as is - sans whizzer, I was wondering if you still had the frequency response measurement. Paul emailed it to me years ago but I no longer have access to that email account.

I'm looking forward to finally enjoying my Betsy's on open baffle.

Godzilla

The Betsy WOW sounds excellent on an open baffle (18" x 18") sitting on top of H-frames (with Eminence Alpha 15). An inexpensive lemon squeezer piezo with an 8ohm resistor and a .47uf cap (I will try .33 to reduce its contribution a little) adds texture and air. Overall, this system sounds excellent! I'm using a Topping TP21 digital amp and it's more than powerful enough to fill my apartment with sound.

Godzilla, Thanks for posting this and linking to your blog. I just sent WB some cash to get a set of these for use over an h frame alpha 15. Would you mind posting a picture of your resistor set up? I'm so new to this and that part of the equation is still completely foreign to me. Googling lemon squeezer piezo comes up with nothing useful. haha
I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks so much, Mike

Last edited:
No problem Mike! I hope you enjoy the Betsy's. They have been my 'go to' speaker for several months and I think I'll keep it this way for a while. Did you get the drivers without whizzers?

See the illustration I made for you. I actually ended up using a different piezo than the 'lemon squeezer' but they all sound about the same and would all require tweaking the 'crossover'. I'd recommend using an 8 or 10 ohm resistor (they both will sound the same) and trying a few different capacitors to see which sounds best to you. Try .33uf, .47uf, .67uf and 1uf. One of those should give you a nice blend. It depends on how much treble you want to add to the Betsy.

Keep us posted and enjoy!

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/ho...eca:matches(.,"P_Searchable","1")]&PortalID=1

Attachments

• wiring-piezo.jpg
    wiring-piezo.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 117
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.