• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tweeter for betsyK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Paul and Everyone -

It's been a while since I last posted. A sudden change in living conditions means that I will be able to set up a listening space in a basement. I will finally be able to put my BetsyKs in big sealed boxes.

The question now is what tweeter to choose. I'm thinking of the Morel Horn-loaded dome. It's sensitivity matches that of the BetsyK. I am looking for suggestions for a tweeter and a crossover frequency. I am thinking of 1st Order.

Regards,

Karl

Karl,

I'm not sure the Morel (are you looking at the 378?) would do much of anything for you. Look at the response chart here: http://www.morelhifi.com/products/pdf/Tweeters/CAT/Specs sheet CAT378.pdf
The efficiency spec relies a great deal on the effects of the horn around 3-4K. At 10K, you've got what, 92.5 db? It is neither terribly extended nor will it have wide dispersion. I'm not sure you'd be able to tell whether or not it was playing if you placed it with a BetsyK.

I'd advise that you give the BetsyK a listen by itself first. You might be surprised. Second, remember that your basically talking about a super tweeter. Something to add "air" and "sparkle". The Morel looks like a great performer when used as intended, from 2-3K up. You don't need a bunch of dynamic range at 3k. You do need high efficiency, and preferably, wide dispersion. Otherwise you aren't gaining much, in my opinion.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

Karl,

The prices go up and down a bit, but if you are thinking of top mounting, you might look for a pair of the old Radio Shack/Realistic pod super tweeters that are very similar to the FT17H. They look a little cheesy, but unlike the new one, they faceplate is metal. And they come in a pod! If you really want something nice, I'd consider ribbons. But like I said, you should consider listening first. You might find you don't need anything. Or, if you just need a little sparkle, cheap piezos might be enough.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

Paul -

I might try it with the BetsyK alone at first to see how it sounds.

Yes, the RS super tweeter pod always looked very cheesy. I remember those. I think I would try the Fostex drivers over the RS pods. Actually, I could build the Fostex units into rigid food containers and make my own pods.

Regarding ribbons, which ones do you like?

Regards,

Karl

I just boxed (baffled?) my BetsyK's today. Open baffle, not ideal I know, but the only shop in town I can get power resistors to fix it is closed. I'm super excited by how they sound so far. They're a biT ragged around 6k (at a guess, it's just a touch lower than sibilance) so I hope that'll calm down with time (or with baffle changes maybe) but they're crisp like I've never heard so I wouldn't think they *need* a tweeter. That's my 2 cents. I'm going to try a 3-way with these handling 200-6000 and will put a tweeter in, but that's a long time away yet.

Last edited:
Just for kicks I hooked-up these yesterday.

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_236&products_id=8818

Crossed over with a simple cap at various frequencies I could hardly tell they were there. I'm going to dink around trying to pull-down the peaks of the Ks response after measuring them and then the Neo 3.5 might serve a purpose.

Very impressive do it all driver Paul!

Wouldn't you want a tweeter with a narrower, controlled dispersion to match the Ks? Doesn't it start to beam at higher frequencies?

Next week a professional carpenter is going to build a pair of cabinets for me. I'm considering your TL but if the only advantage is better bass I'll go with a "transient-perfect" sealed box.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.