• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Free Starkrimson Mono Bare PCBs

Hello,

I have some Starkrimson Mono Amp Module bare PCBs that I will give away for free, you just have to cover the cost of shipping.

Please note that to receive the BOM for these boards you need to sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA).

Since I am giving these away for free, I request that all people who receive them and end up making amps write a review of the amp modules on the website.

If you are interested please contact me though this link only. Do no send me private messages though the forum.

First come first serve, there is a limited quantity available.

Regards;
Leo

Attachments

• Phillip_S.JPG
    Phillip_S.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 291
  • Phillip_S_1.jpg
    Phillip_S_1.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 301
A little warning to possible users: These are bare pcbs and cannot be completed without an automated smd machine. There is no possibility for individual "handmade" solutions, since there is neither a schematic nor a pcb plan provided.
I am not able to do that, and installing this process at a local electronic manufacturing plant would cost me much more than the ready-made boards themselves. (And - if overseas - you will also have to pay taxes for the pcbs.)

A little warning to possible users: These are bare pcbs and cannot be completed without an automated smd machine. There is no possibility for individual "handmade" solutions, since there is neither a schematic nor a pcb plan provided.

This is not true as there are multiple members here who have assembled these boards by hand, you just need the right equipment. They can chime in on how they did it. I provided all of the files needed to complete the by hand.

@poseidonsvoice has had these boards from way back when they went under a different name, his write is here:
https://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=7264.msg91698#msg91698
Here are some quotes from it:
The noise floor is very low, and you hear tiny details into the background on many recordings. The amplifier is very similar sounding to the Modulus 286 which is a major compliment! Big, bombastic dynamics, excellent tight very well delineated bass and yes, ethereal high end. Sound staging was wide, and performers were well placed, such that you could easily distinguish the differences between them.
the sonics of this amplifier are truly excellent to spectacular. I put the BOSC amps in the league of other greats like the Modulus 186, 286, 686 series, the Benchmark AHB2, Hypex NCore designs, etc...

I populated my Starkrimson boards by hand. It was challenging, for sure. For me, the challenge is part of the fun and adds to my sense of fulfillment. I used a board heater and hot air station to install the GaN fets and flip chip parts. The other parts were installed with a hand soldering iron using normal solder wire and flux, and an HDMI microscope, A visual aid is 100% necessary in my opinion.

Here is my method:

First, I liberally applied flux to the area (Amtech 559 flux, strongly recommended!) I tinned 1 pad.

I added more flux. (Ensure flux is always present in the working area.) I heated the tinned pad and placed the part.

Then, I added more flux (if needed) and soldered the other pad.

Lastly, I heated the first pad again and applied slight pressure with my iron to verify the 2nd pad is strongly connected.

I used extreme care while populating the board, because it would be extremely difficult to troubleshoot a soldering or parts placement error.

Phillip,

Very nice advice and great build. The most challenging parts are the GaN fets and flip chip parts - where a stencil is very helpful as well as a board heater and hot air station as you say. Others can be hand soldered, since there are soldering trace leads on the board itself. Of course some parts are 0603 or smaller but that's part of the fun.

Patience and flux! For the advanced diy hobbyists ;)

If you find that challenging, just buy his fully built and tested boards. I actually finished my amp, mailed it to him and then had him measure it specifically so I could get some reassurance that I didn't screw it up:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ganfet-class-d-vs-hypex-co.15980/#post-514626
Which reminds me, I should get another blank board just in case I need to replace for some reason. Thanks Leo.

Best,
Anand.