• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Kubelik NOS DAC kits

Finally completed the dac. There was a long delay due to the taobao seller sending me wrong parts of the chassis i ordered.

Interesting finding when i changed to Bourn inductors from the default one in the package. The inductors that came in the kit sounded more 'airy', the string notes has a 'hanging in the air' effect. The Bourn ones made things sound focused and warmer in the mids. I cannot decide which one i like.

The dac sounds amazingly good, does not sound nervous with complex music at all. In my opinion, sounded better than some cheap implementation of Chinese the ES9038pro dac.

Attachments

• kubilik.jpg
    kubilik.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 352
Picture looks great! Fine job. I think the Bourns inductors may have a slightly different inductance which could account for some difference in the SQ. They're 5% whereas ours are normally better than 2%. But that's a bit of a longshot.

The lack of muddle in complex music is I think largely due to using a classA output stage with the opamps. In course of prototyping Kubelik I built one without those transistors and yes, the 'nervousness' appeared on orchestral music with lots going on.

Good to hear they arrived eventually. Sometimes ePacket is frustratingly slow.

That capacitor is a 22uF X5R 0805 so its value is very voltage-sensitive. Meaning how you measure it will strongly affect the value indicated. The value isn't critical as its used for noise reduction from the TL431 DAC power supply.

I just received my Kubelik kit and found everything in impeccable order. All items were carefully packed and all components were clearly marked for easy assembly.

I had near zero smd-experience from before so when I unpacked the first 805-resistor I really thought: This is never going to work!:)
However, I watched a youtube smd soldering-tutorial and practice-soldered a few resistors to a stripboard and then started with the Kubelik. When a third of the components were soldered to the PCB I realized that smd is not bad at all, it's actually really fast to work with and there is no need to flip the board over all the time.

When finished, the power supply and accessories were hooked up, and out came the sweet music!

Unfortunately, I am unable to compare it to any exclusive DAC, have just played it in the garage through my old damaged Jamo garage-speakers.
I am looking forward to box it up and test it with better speakers.

Just want to say that this is an excellent kit to build and for 20$ it does not really belong in the commercial section, in my opinion, it is more of a welfare project.

Dear Abraxalito, Thank you for your work! I have built my first DAC and my smd-fear is cured.
You will probably hear from me soon again because I really have a strong urge to build another DAC:)

I guess cost effectiveness would be dependent on the performance haha. Sorry, just a few very newbie questions:

1) Can this be used as a pi hat dac without additional components?
2) Would this outperform the audiophonics pi hat nos dac now out of stock?
3) Would you recommend this over a pre built pi hat nos dac?
4) Do you have cases for these components?

Thank you!

Sure, the performance to price ratio is far better for the kits than for a built-up DAC. I have in mind a design optimized to be hand-built but so far not much demand for built-up Kubeliks.

1) I believe so though obviously its not mechanically compatible with a Pi for sitting on top. But yes the I2S feed from Pi is compatible with Kubelik without any additional parts being required.

2) If the NOS DAC you mean is their 8*TDA1387 then certainly yes.

3) I'd recommend Kubelik over any commercially available TDA1387 DACs, yes. Assuming the mechanical issues aren't problematic.

4) No, no cases so far for Kubelik.

You're welcome.

Out of sheer frustration in trying to coax Taobao-sourced LM317 boards into reliable action in the service of Kubelik, we decided to create our own LM317 PSU.

This is almost a text-book LM317 implementation just with a couple of differences. First there's a common-mode choke on the input to suppress mains-borne noise. Second its using zener diodes with a low value R in series to set the output voltage which defaults to 20V.

Price in ready-built up and tested form is 50RMB.

Sorry again for the stupid question. I noticed the board said input is 24-35 Volts. Does this thing take AC 120 Volt current on the other end or do I still need to feed it with a 24-35 Volt PSU?

You need to feed it (the AC PSU module) with a transformer with 18-20VAC output. Here's an example : Page Not Found - Aliexpress.com

The version with 0-9V, 0-9V is the one you need and you wire those two secondaries in series to give 18V.

The text you quoted is referring to the DC version of the power supply but you'll need the AC version if you don't already have a DC output PSU (for example an EI wall-wart with DC output). Here's the AC PSU : Kubelik NOS DAC kits

Don't worry about 'stupid' questions :p

Last edited:
Sorry again for the stupid question. I noticed the board said input is 24-35 Volts. Does this thing take AC 120 Volt current on the other end or do I still need to feed it with a 24-35 Volt PSU?
I appreciate you asking stupid questions.
I am a noob as well.
I also have stupid questions :)

I am using the kubelik as a great excuse to build up some knowledge and skills.

Slowly slowly one step at a time.
I couldn't solder a year or two ago.

I was reading about (and not understanding a word) abrax's projects with mouth agape.

Then when the kublik came out, I could work out (sort of ) what it is :)

Incredible value, in a great kit form, wonderfully labelled, great diagram, great support, good fun, amazing value.
(I bought three in case i mess up (hopefully I won't as I would like to use them all))

I am hoping to get back to it this week (I had a bit of a time issue). Then I will be on to the next stage which is understanding how to wire it up :D

As I am gaining knowledge and skills (such as they are) it is opening up more doors.
I would encourage you to have a go and use this as a target to work towards perhaps?

I have just worked out that tweezers become magnetized, which is a nuisance :)