• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

DUAL Merus MA12070 fully balanced Amplifier pictures inside

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Please use the triangle traffic sign at the left lower corner to report posts or requests regarding the thread etc.

Attachments

• report.gif
    report.gif
    1,014 bytes · Views: 338
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Yes you are right, we can not click on the triangle of each message which has no connection with this thread.

You see it absolutely wrong. One can use the triangle also for requests regarding the thread. Just as I wrote. No one would report every single post unless one wants to look like a fool or wants the mods irritated.

It 100% does not work like in post #42: "Hey moderator, move all posts not related to this thread to the appropriate one !!!". That is shouting in public space and expecting results. As if moderators read every single post.

Question: what other means would there be besides the triangle to have a thread cleaned up/changed etc. ? Exactly, so use the triangle (usually the thread starter does this) and report the post numbers that need to be (re)moved with the reason why.

Last edited:
A simple reason why you hear what you heard!

The MA12070 has a very different sound signature than the TPA325X. To my ears it is much closer to a class AB while keeping the precision of a good class D.
On the other hand, I noticed that the MA12070 requires a big break-in before taking advantage of its exceptional performance.(I presume that on my Sabaj the components needed to polarize). Check also my ASR review, you will find some other comments )

I used to do some work for SPEC Corp of Japan.
They use the International Rectifier Company Chipset with extensive mods.
They're amps are designed to bring you a triode like sound from Class D amplification and I know they're secrets and why it works. You can check them out here.

SPEC CORPORATION

They have multiple awards for making amplifiers that "measure poorly", but sound fantastic. The amplifiers they measured are some of their early models and todays models have rectified the "problem" area's. They are the sole reason why I use IRC-Infineon-Merus amplifiers. IRC was bought out by Infineon, they then created the Merus brand. The sound signature remains much the same. They do not sound like any of the other Class D amplifiers on the market, full-stop!.

Your ears are not playing tricks on you. You are hearing what you have heard. They are just a smaller company with less lofty goals (Infineon/Merus). I suspect that we will see much more from them in the very near future!

I used to do some work for SPEC Corp of Japan.
They use the International Rectifier Company Chipset with extensive mods.
They're amps are designed to bring you a triode like sound from Class D amplification and I know they're secrets and why it works. You can check them out here.

SPEC CORPORATION

They have multiple awards for making amplifiers that "measure poorly", but sound fantastic. The amplifiers they measured are some of their early models and todays models have rectified the "problem" area's. They are the sole reason why I use IRC-Infineon-Merus amplifiers. IRC was bought out by Infineon, they then created the Merus brand. The sound signature remains much the same. They do not sound like any of the other Class D amplifiers on the market, full-stop!.

Your ears are not playing tricks on you. You are hearing what you have heard. They are just a smaller company with less lofty goals (Infineon/Merus). I suspect that we will see much more from them in the very near future!

Really interesting ) I took a look to the SPEC CORPORATION amps, they seem to be very well made. I have to understand that the SPEC amps use Infineon chips? But at what cost ).... would you tell us more about the RSA-V10 for example ?

That being said, the MA12070 has a totally different "grain" than the TPA3255 but just like the latter, it will sound very different depending on its implementation and the components around it .... this is not a scoop)

For example, this below amp I mounted sounds different than my Sabaj A20A and yet uses the same MA12070 ... I find the same grain of the "chip" but the Sabaj sounds much better)

Really interesting ) I took a look to the SPEC CORPORATION amps, they seem to be very well made. I have to understand that the SPEC amps use Infineon chips? But at what cost ).... would you tell us more about the RSA-V10 for example ?

That being said, the MA12070 has a totally different "grain" than the TPA3255 but just like the latter, it will sound very different depending on its implementation and the components around it .... this is not a scoop)

For example, this below amp I mounted sounds different than my Sabaj A20A and yet uses the same MA12070 ... I find the same grain of the "chip" but the Sabaj sounds much better)

https://ibb.co/SQqxKTQ

SPEC Corp wanted to use their knowledge of audio, in the Japanese "Takumi" Google that term, to make a Class-D amplifier that can compete and surpass a conventional Triode Amplifier. They utilise chips that are the original International Rectifier Company chips. Some are not available to the public.

There is no grain that you are referring to with Infineon/Merus chips. The only "grain" you might hear would come from either your speakers, or you're not used to the extended frequency response of the amplifiers (Just my opinion, and of course it is entirely dependent on the speakers you use). They have as close to a Class AB sound as you can find from what I would consider an ultra, ultra cheap amplifier. They certainly should be priced several times higher retail that they are being offered at. They are not your Hypex/NCore, Puri-Fi, or other Bruno Putzeys type of sound. They sound very very good, but they are also much, much more expensive. MUCH. They also don't sound like PASCAL amps or the heavily modified PASCAL amps by Mytek Brooklyn AMP+, or any of the modern or older ICEPower amplifiers.

Those are all Class-D. Chip-amps are another thing all together. Though the Infineon/Merus amplifier is chip based, it is not a chip amp. It is a Class-D amplifier. The architecture is different.

I have a 3116 amp, mono for a subwoofer, I also a TDA7498E by Indeed. Something that was excessively over-built for the time.

Those are both chip-amps through and through. They can be called Class-D, but they are glorified Chip-amps at the end of the day. I still have both of the amplifiers and the Indeed TDA7498E serves as a back-up amp. It is definitely harsh to the ear over prolonged periods. The 3116 is far newer and I've heard some that sound fantastic, but do eventually cause me ear fatigue. As a subwoofer amp, it's perfect.

SPEC Corp wanted to use their knowledge of audio, in the Japanese "Takumi" Google that term, to make a Class-D amplifier that can compete and surpass a conventional Triode Amplifier. They utilise chips that are the original International Rectifier Company chips. Some are not available to the public.

There is no grain that you are referring to with Infineon/Merus chips. The only "grain" you might hear would come from either your speakers, or you're not used to the extended frequency response of the amplifiers (Just my opinion, and of course it is entirely dependent on the speakers you use). They have as close to a Class AB sound as you can find from what I would consider an ultra, ultra cheap amplifier. They certainly should be priced several times higher retail that they are being offered at. They are not your Hypex/NCore, Puri-Fi, or other Bruno Putzeys type of sound. They sound very very good, but they are also much, much more expensive. MUCH. They also don't sound like PASCAL amps or the heavily modified PASCAL amps by Mytek Brooklyn AMP+, or any of the modern or older ICEPower amplifiers.

Those are all Class-D. Chip-amps are another thing all together. Though the Infineon/Merus amplifier is chip based, it is not a chip amp. It is a Class-D amplifier. The architecture is different.

I have a 3116 amp, mono for a subwoofer, I also a TDA7498E by Indeed. Something that was excessively over-built for the time.

Those are both chip-amps through and through. They can be called Class-D, but they are glorified Chip-amps at the end of the day. I still have both of the amplifiers and the Indeed TDA7498E serves as a back-up amp. It is definitely harsh to the ear over prolonged periods. The 3116 is far newer and I've heard some that sound fantastic, but do eventually cause me ear fatigue. As a subwoofer amp, it's perfect.

I took a look this review :

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2019/...KtzFq9nmVSsm2VgIKIk_YKH4c2RvJ5Q6EFZMHB0SxbrOM

Seems to be a great amplifier ) Very expensive About $10000
In terms of amp I learned one thing with the D class ... the price is not always synonymous with performance...

It seems their amps are using small FETs by Infineon Technologies indeed. I would be very curious to hear it ) I will try to do it @ Lyon, we have many shops there.

I am currently interested in GAN amps and I should be able to share my impressions very soon) I could therefore, with my experience and my hindsight, to compare with all the class D that I have been able to test (Purifi, TPA32XX, Merus, Pascal, Tripath, Ncore etc ).

Thanks for your feedback )

Based on Danibouns positive review I purchased a Sabaj a28a. And I totally agree, it sounds really different from all other class d I know. Not only different, but better in a very surprising way, absolutely smooth and almost tube like, but with clarity and a silent background. I would say, it's the bargain of the decade. It sounds better than my tube amp, tpa3255 and my F5 class a. And it stays absolutely cool.
Speakers are very demanding IMF TLS 80 right now, which are demanding lots of current.
20 years ago you would sell an amp sounding like this for $10,000...

Based on Danibouns positive review I purchased a Sabaj a28a. And I totally agree, it sounds really different from all other class d I know. Not only different, but better in a very surprising way, absolutely smooth and almost tube like, but with clarity and a silent background. I would say, it's the bargain of the decade. It sounds better than my tube amp, tpa3255 and my F5 class a. And it stays absolutely cool.
Speakers are very demanding IMF TLS 80 right now, which are demanding lots of current.
20 years ago you would sell an amp sounding like this for $10,000...

I very much appreciate your return. Reviews help us a lot on this forum and allow us to appreciate new products with a human feeling even if the measurements are important

Keep in mind that the Sabaj A20A needs a very long break-in. At least 40H, I am not the only one to say this.. I gained a lot of dynamism and I had to lower the amp from at least -3 to 4DB one morning when I got up)

I have a friend who came to my house the least last to test it ... he was hyper skeptical and owns an Accuphase E650 with some high ends Klipsch speakers and he confirmed to me that listening to the Sabaj A20A had surprised him. so he bought it, he came to me with the following :

"I am pleasantly surprised by this Sabaj. The value for money is amazing! He doesn't blush at my accuphase and what's more, he's super silent and powerful. Frankly for 200 euros I still can't believe it)"

I still use it as a reference amp because it looks great! I am going to stick my future Gan amp to his "***" to confirm my listening and my appreciations. :)

here a quick video of the Sabaj

Sabaj test 1

I wish you could enjoy )

Last edited:
Yes, in the beginning it sounded a little bit closed in. But it opened up after one day and now after one week it seems to be by finally broken in. Normally I open up a device after receiving it, this one is still untouched. Very rarely I don't have the urge to to change something for the better, for example better regulators and so on. Just sounds right to my aging ears... In the beginning I was thinking: does it add some thing to the sound? now I'm more or less thinking, that all the other amps do add something, some coloration or interpretation. And this one just sounds natural. There are so many amps which measure very good, but sound like crap. This one measures good and sounds good.

Using two Sabaj as mono blocks in tri amped active system.

I bought a pair of these as they have balanced input and my DBX PA2 crossover has balanced outputs. I run the Sabaj stereo amps as mono blocks, each one driving a single Beyma TPL 200 AMT tweeter.
They sound superb on the high frequencies and also I like them driving the full range RED drivers covering 300Hz to 2.5KHz.
But forget the bass/low midrange, covering 20Hz to 400Hz they have no dynamics, slam and just dont sound real on drums/percussion orchestral crescendos etc.
Compared to my two Belles REF 150 A (modified and upgraded transformer and power supplies) which kick out 500 watts as monobloc's into 8 Ohms weigh 22Kg each and cost me £6,500 for the pair, they lack bass/low midrange, covering 20Hz to 400Hz... They have no dynamics, slam and just dont sound real on drums/percussion orchestral crescendos etc.
But I wasnt expecting them to compete in this area/frequency/high SPL.

As midrange / high frequency amps in an active system they are easily the best value for money I have ever heard. Full stop.
As a rough estimate I would say they offer 75% of the mid and top sound quality of my Belles amps... All the good Hi Fi stuff like detail, soundstage, decay etc. But they lack that last 25% or so... Just not as solid and believable on vocals, piano or strings.
But value for money... 20 out of 10!!

Attachments

• System pics sept 2021.pdf
    674.9 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
I bought a pair of these as they have balanced input and my DBX PA2 crossover has balanced outputs. I run the Sabaj stereo amps as mono blocks, each one driving a single Beyma TPL 200 AMT tweeter.
They sound superb on the high frequencies and also I like them driving the full range RED drivers covering 300Hz to 2.5KHz.
But forget the bass/low midrange, covering 20Hz to 400Hz they have no dynamics, slam and just dont sound real on drums/percussion orchestral crescendos etc.
Compared to my two Belles REF 150 A (modified and upgraded transformer and power supplies) which kick out 500 watts as monobloc's into 8 Ohms weigh 22Kg each and cost me £6,500 for the pair, they lack bass/low midrange, covering 20Hz to 400Hz... They have no dynamics, slam and just dont sound real on drums/percussion orchestral crescendos etc.
But I wasnt expecting them to compete in this area/frequency/high SPL.

As midrange / high frequency amps in an active system they are easily the best value for money I have ever heard. Full stop.
As a rough estimate I would say they offer 75% of the mid and top sound quality of my Belles amps... All the good Hi Fi stuff like detail, soundstage, decay etc. But they lack that last 25% or so... Just not as solid and believable on vocals, piano or strings.
But value for money... 20 out of 10!!

Saw your pictures... You are using some very huge speakers and they probably need a big amount of power. Even if you use the Sabaj A20a in a dual Mono configuration, keep in mind that the Belles REF 150 A are about 125W / 8R vs about the half for the Sabaj... and as you said : the price makes all the difference )

The Sabaj would be better suited to smaller speakers in any case) You should give a try and you will see that it sounds fantastic when reproducing drums / orcherstral etc don't forget the long break in as well )