• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

500W (4ohm) GaN Class D Modules - Starkrimson Ultra

Hi,

I am currently developing a GaN Class-D module which will do 250W into 8ohms and 500W into 4 ohms.

The module will be 4.75" (120.65mm) by 3.75" (95.25mm). See the attached image.

The modulator will be very similar to my Starkrimson (formerly BOSC) modules
you can read more about them here:
BOSC - HiFi Monoblock Class-D GaN Amp
and here
BOSC - HiFi Monoblock Class-D Amp | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
and here:
Fresh From the Bench: A Tale of Two Class-D Amplifiers Orchard Audio BOSC and Purifi Audio Eigentakt EVAL1 | audioXpress
and on my website of course:
Orchard Audio - Audio Power Amplifer, Monoblock Module | Orchard Audio

I expect the performance of these modules to be at least as good if not better than the Starkrimson modules.

These modules will be designed to specifically work with the Hypex SMPS1200A100 power supplies. Two modules can connect to one power supply to create a stereo system.

The modules will support both fully balanced and unbalanced connections. The gain will be ~19dB (balanced) and ~25db (unbalanced). The unbalanced connection has 6dB more gain because it will be converted to a balanced connection.

I am expecting the switching frequency to be in the 750kHz to 1.2MHz range. This will be determined by final tuning/testing.

All connections use headers and terminal blocks so that no soldering will be required.

The purpose of this post is to gauge interest to see how many here would be interested in purchasing these modules when they are completed in about 2-3 months. I expect the price of the final modules to be around $500 per module, those who do a group by for the initial builds will get at least a 20% discount.

The are multiple users here who have my BOSC/Stakrimson modules

Update 12/29/2020
The layout is finished...

I had to make the board 4.85 by 3.75 inches to add some additional circuity, due to feedback that I received for the other board.
Added LED to indicate over current
Added LED to indicate overvoltage
Added LED to indicate that board is powered up

Still need to do final checks before manufacturing the boards. However, the layout is at a good point to start getting quotes. So please let me know if you would be interested in getting one or two of these.

The board will need the following power supplies:
+/-36 to 42.5V for power stages
+9 to +15V for Driver (referenced to -36V)
+/- 12 to 22V for analog sections

A single Hypex / SMPS1200A100 provides all of the required power supplies. and can power two modules to make a stereo system.

In simulations, this amplifier achieves over 98.5% efficiency at 500W.

906006d1609280179-500w-4ohm-gan-class-modules-starkrimson-ultra-capture-jpg

Update 01/10/2021:
Updated specifications list:
  • Gain (balanced input): 19.3dB
  • Gain (single-ended input): 25.3dB
  • Power output into 8Ω/4Ω: 250W/500W
  • Input Impedance balanced/single-ended: 44k/22k
  • Sensitivity (balanced input): 5Vin for 250W into 8Ω
  • Sensitivity (single-ended input): 2.5Vin for 250W into 8Ω
  • Size: 4.85" (123.2mm) x 3.75" (95.3mm) x 1.45" (36.8mm)
    • 6 x 4-40 mounting holes
  • Required Power Supplies for Module
    • +/-36V (+/-30 to 42.5V) - Amplifier Power Rails
    • +15V (9 to 16V) - Mosfet Driver Supply - Referenced to -36V rail - 100mA minimum
    • +/-12V (+/-10 to 22V) - Analog Supplies - 100mA per supply minimum.
Here is a document on how to wire the SMPS1200 and modules together:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15WSmoonjk5Gu6yQutwwNLtkNgqelcvpL/view?usp=sharing

Attachments

• New_Amp.JPG
    New_Amp.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 1,868
Last edited:
The layout is finished...

I had to make the board 4.85 by 3.75 inches to add some additional circuity, due to feedback that I received for the other board.
  • Added LED to indicate over current
  • Added LED to indicate overvoltage
  • Added LED to indicate that board is powered up

Still need to do final checks before manufacturing the boards. However, the layout is at a good point to start getting quotes. So please let me know if you would be interested in getting one or two of these.

The board will need the following power supplies:
+/-36 to 42.5V for power stages
+9 to +15V for Driver (referenced to -36V)
+/- 12 to 22V for analog sections

A single Hypex / SMPS1200A100 provides all of the required power supplies. and can power two modules to make a stereo system.

In simulations, this amplifier achieves over 98.5% efficiency at 500W.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 3,481
I'm interested. will you be selling an entire kit with the board/parts/power supply and case or just the bare board or possibly just the populated board?
Thanks.

Hi,

There will be two options:
1. Bare boards and I provide the BOM (you have to sign NDA)
2. Fully populated boards.

You will have to source the power supply enclosure and everything else yourself. Going with the Hypex power supply will the easiest solution.

Why would I opt for these rather than the much less costly 500ASP/500A?

My modules will have better measurable performance.

Also, my modules have the latest state of the art GaN technology. GaN brings a lot of benefits to class-d amplifiers. For one the efficiency is much higher so my modules will be smaller and lighter. There are others you can find many articles online about the benefits of GaN over silicon MOSFETs.

There are multiple people on this forum who have my other modules and have also owned ice, hypex, etc. Maybe they will chime in.

Coult it be used for a 3 way active? Is there need to synchronise clocks of amplifiers?

Yes. I have a customer who is doing this with my current amps. I believe they use the dspNexus 2x8 to do the active crossover.

The modules will take in analog audio-only so your active crossover will need to put out an analog signal. The crossover would need to take care of synchronizing any clocks.