• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

500W (4ohm) GaN Class D Modules - Starkrimson Ultra

My modules will have better measurable performance.

Also, my modules have the latest state of the art GaN technology. GaN brings a lot of benefits to class-d amplifiers. For one the efficiency is much higher so my modules will be smaller and lighter. There are others you can find many articles online about the benefits of GaN over silicon MOSFETs.

There are multiple people on this forum who have my other modules and have also owned ice, hypex, etc. Maybe they will chime in.

I found the 500ASP measurements on their website here.

Here is a comparison between their module at 8ohm and my existing Starkrimson modules at 8ohms. As you can see at all frequencies the distortion of Starkrimson is much lower especially at 6.67kHz. The new modules will have either identical or better performance.

Attachments

• ICE_500ASP.JPG
    ICE_500ASP.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 636
  • OA_Starkrimson.jpg
    OA_Starkrimson.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 634
Last edited:
Final pricing is as follows:
2 x Starkrimson Ultra assembled and tested board --> $849.95 USD
2 x Starkrimson Ultra bare board w/BOM --> $99.95 USD (NDA Required)

To place your orders go here:
https://orchardaudio.com/shop/ols/products/strk-ltr-mdl

The discounted pricing will end on January 31st.

Delivery will take place in March/April 2021.

If you have any questions please contact me through this link:
Contact Us | Orchard Audio

If you would like to see the preliminary BOM I have that available now, you will just need to sign NDA.

Last edited:
How hard to solder the board? Are parts easy to source? total costs?

I'm interested but too early to be convinced.

All the parts are readily available from Digikey/mouser. If you want to figure out the BOM costs please send me a pm or message through the website to ask for NDA.

You will not be able to solder this by hand unless you have special equipment to do the SMT part with hidden pads. The smallest parts on the board are 0402.

If needed, I will also provide you the stencil drawing so you can have one made.

You will want to review this too:
https://gansystems.com/wp-content/u...ns-for-GaNPX®-Packaged-Devices-Rev-190806.pdf

Last edited:
The completed modules require no soldering. All connections are on terminal blocks/headers.

J1, J2, J3 are all for different power supplies.
X1, X3 – Amplifier output
J6 – balanced input
J4 – Single-ended input

Attachments

• Output.jpg
    Output.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 432
  • Power.jpg
    Power.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 423
  • Input.jpg
    Input.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
Update 01/10/2021:
Updated specifications list:
  • Gain (balanced input): 19.3dB
  • Gain (single-ended input): 25.3dB
  • Power output into 8Ω/4Ω: 250W/500W
  • Input Impedance balanced/single-ended: 44k/22k
  • Sensitivity (balanced input): 5Vin for 250W into 8Ω
  • Sensitivity (single-ended input): 2.5Vin for 250W into 8Ω
  • Size: 4.85" (123.2mm) x 3.75" (95.3mm) x 1.45" (36.8mm)
    • 6 x 4-40 mounting holes
  • Required Power Supplies for Module
    • +/-36V (+/-30 to 42.5V) - Amplifier Power Rails
    • +15V (9 to 16V) - Mosfet Driver Supply - Referenced to -36V rail - 100mA minimum
    • +/-12V (+/-10 to 22V) - Analog Supplies - 100mA per supply minimum.

Last edited:
For those of you that like op-amp rolling and are purchasing the bare board option, op-amps U1 and U2 can be changed to something else that you may prefer. They are just used as buffer stages for the XLR and RCA inputs. So changing these op-amps to something else is low risk.

However, since the amplifier is DC coupled make sure your opamp has a very low input offset voltage (Vos)

The package is SOIC-8 with a thermal pad. However, the thermal pad is not needed for all op-amps and can be left unconnected.

Attachments

• Op-Amp.PNG
    Op-Amp.PNG
    60.3 KB · Views: 478