• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Neurochrome HP-22: A high-performance DIY headphone amp for less than $100

Yeah. I bought one a few years ago when the OPA1622 first came out and immediately saw it as an excellent DIY platform. I hope Mouser/TI can keep up with demand for the eval boards. :)

Also, with the small form factor, I bet there's a small Hammond aluminum chassis that'll fit. I'll draw up a drill template for folks to use for the front panel.

Tom

The Silent Switcher can be configured to supply 250mA @ +/- 8v, would that be a better option?
I guess it won't help that my Grado's impedance is only 32 ohms.

It should be able to do more anyways. The linear audio website (The SilentSwitcher | Linear Audio NL under "supplying the supply") says the following:

The current limits (150mA at the +/-15V and 0.5A at the 6/5/3.3V simultaneously) are such that they can be used with a standard 5V/2.1A USB charger. However, if you use for instance batteries or a wallwart delivering 9V at 2A, the available output currents are doubled.

Edit: Sorry Tom for the off-topic in your vensor's thread.

Last edited:
just bought the combo, hopefully it will arrive before christmas.

If you chose FedEx or UPS for the shipping method and you live in the US or Canada, it'll most likely arrive before Christmas. If you chose Canada Post, delivery will likely be in the new year (probably mid-January).
If you need to upgrade your chosen shipping method, contact me by email and I'll get you going. FedEx/UPS shipping shouldn't set you back more than ~$20 (Canada), ~$25 (US), ~$30 (EU).

I won't have the boards on hand until the 21st (assuming UPS delivers overnight as they're supposed to). Unfortunately, I can't ship until I have the boards.

if the eval board and the neurochrome board spacing fit the slots of Extruded Aluminum case from hammond, it will be perfect, all we need is some hot glue to fix them in place.

The board is 2.15 inches wide. I doubt it fits anything, but you may get lucky. My intent was for you to mount the board by the volume pot. To minimize the stresses associated with plugging/unplugging the headphones, I'd use some contact cement to glue the rubber feet of the OPA1622EVM to the bottom of the chassis.

Tom

hammond 1455Q1601 (160x125x52) will probably fit the preamp power supply + amp + iec inlet w/ fuse.

Yep. That should work. You may have to put the power supply and the HP-22 side-by-side, which would push the volume control off-centre, but there is enough room in the box for everything as far as I can tell.

One option for those who won't need or want the 3.5 mm output is to cut off the part of the connector that extends past the edge of the EVM. This would allow you to mount the HP-22 by the nut on the volume pot. Then solder wires to the EVM output for the off-board output connector.

I may buy one of those boxes and provide drill templates for it. That'd be neat.

Tom

Can it accept AC power or just DC?

I see Mouser has an AC-AC power brick for around 10 dollars which can make powering it with a split supply easily.

Is there any modifications that can be done to run off a single DC power supply without hindering performance too much?

Awesome work as always,

Kaden

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 11.41.14.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 11.41.14.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 249
Can it accept AC power or just DC?

It needs a split/bipolar (+/-) DC supply. I recommend ±7 – ±15 V. ±12 V seems to be a good spot if you're using an external supply.

I see Mouser has an AC-AC power brick for around 10 dollars which can make powering it with a split supply easily.

Yeah. That plus a voltage doubler would get you there. Maybe add a pair of LM317/337 or LM7812/LM7912 for regulation.

Is there any modifications that can be done to run off a single DC power supply without hindering performance too much?

You'd have to hack both the TI EVM and the HP-22 board to make it run on a single supply. I'd rather not go there. You also get a significant pop in the headphones on startup with a single supply. That output cap has to charge somehow...

Tom

Hello Members

I am new to this forum. I just bought the HP-22 from Tom.
For the start I plan to use 2 x 3 18650 batteries to power this and Tom confirmed already that will work fine.

Maybe I will replace this later with a power supply. Tom writes on his HP-22 website "The HP-22 is intended for use with the Neurochrome Preamp Power Supply, but can be powered by any power supply in the range of ±7 – ±17 V. It can even be powered by a pair of 9 V batteries in a portable headphone amp."

The recommended Neurochrome Preamp Power Supply cost 159 USD which is obviously a lot for a headphone amp with parts for 50USD.

Now I am wondering how good a such a power supply has to be. Will any ripple on the power supply be audible in the headphones? Is there a circuit on the HP-22 board to smooth the input voltage? Does the power supply has to be "perfect" to be sure the sound of the HP-22 is as good as it can be? How to select one?

Thanks

Edgar

Your batteries will be fine.

The HP-22 does not contain any regulator on the power supply, so the supply does need to be reasonably quiet. But the power supply rejection of the OPA1622 and LME49720 is substantial, so you do have quite a bit of wiggle room there.

Maybe I need to go through the wording on my website. The Preamp Power Supply was designed for use with preamps and headphone amps, such as the HP-22. The Preamp Power Supply is a good match for the HP-22, but other supplies will work well as well, including your batteries.

Tom