• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Flat-Pack speaker kits by Big Wood Studio

Hi, I am making Frugel-Horn kits following Planet 10's model. Everything except the driver is included and kits are in stock, or if not quickly made to order. Also available is a wood only kit for Curt Campbell's Halcyon. Not yet added to my website are the Onken series and coming soon are Scottmoose's Woden loudspeakers. I am just finishing up Paul Carmody's Isetta with a built in ampler as an option. Watch for that very soon.

My website, Big Wood Studio is hosted by Shopify and I can offer very reasonable UPS shipping rates thru them. If you want to get an estimate on the shipping cost, you can put a kit in your cart and enter your shipping info. It will provide you with the cost before you enter your credit card info. If you don't want to order just empty your cart.

I've been doing this about a year so far and have sold a few kits to members of this most excellent forum. Hopefully they will leave some feedback with ringing endorsements in this thread. I am happy to custom cut any set of speaker enclosures you Amy be interested in, just send me an email with details.

Big News Everyone!!

Big wood Studio made their first international shipment last month!!! Emmidio emailed me and asked if I could send a flat pack to him in Cyprus. After a little research on my end he decided to go with a FH Lite due to the shipping cost of the kit. For reference, the Lite kit shipping was about $230 (including crating fee) and the FH3 would have been about $100 more.

Till it was all said and done it took just under two weeks to get from Eastern PA to the island in the mediterranean. So if you don't live in the US and you want to pay the freight, I'll be happy to send you a flat pack!

Hi all,

Customer testimonial here. Ordered a Halcyon flatpack kit from Bob @ Big Wood Studio. Worth the price of admission. Cuts were top notch, fit is tight. Packing was phenomenal. 130 lb. and it showed up unharmed. No idea about the UPS driver though. Now I just have to make room to glue these cabinets up and order the driver kit.

Bob was great to work with. He even took the time to get the dimensions from Madisound for the input cups I am using. As in, went out of his way to contact them beyond just perusing their website. Definitely would order again. Way cheaper and less headache than buying my own table saw, blades, router, bits, etc. and a pleasure to communicate with.

Apologies if this is unabashedly pro for Bob but I'm thrilled about the whole transaction and the quality of the kit.

Attachments

• IMG_2042.jpg
    IMG_2042.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 416
  • IMG_2043.jpg
    IMG_2043.jpg
    977.9 KB · Views: 389
A brief update for those following along at home. I've cut a few new kits that have not yet made it to my website, and one or two designs are waiting to be cut. Added to my catalog will be a Voigt Pipe for a Fostex driver, similar to the Cain Abby, and an updated Windermere cabinet for two Mark Audio Pluvia 7.2 drivers. On deck is a revised and beefed up version of the Dynaco A-26 (still in the design phase but will be ready soon) and a Fonken or 2.

Updating this thread since I got the Halcyons finished. Bob's flat pack kit made the cabinet so much easier. I was able to get them assembled with $40 worth of ratchet straps, wood glue and cardboard instead of a few grand worth of tools, blades and bits. The ol' trusty knuckle rap test shows no voids in the plywood and solid glue joints thanks to tight tolerances. Amazed at how stiff and solid they are, which ensures Curt Campbell's design shines. Since I find myself sitting in the listening chair more often and later and later, I'd do it all the same if I had to do it again.

Attachments

• IMG_2286.jpg
    IMG_2286.jpg
    894.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2574.jpg
    IMG_2574.jpg
    887 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_2766.jpg
    IMG_2766.jpg
    920.5 KB · Views: 184
I built these a few years back but I am enjoying them in my office being driven with a F4 amp and ASKA Lender preamp. Veneered in mahogany they have an amazing bass I have tossed adding a subwoofer but I prefer the simplicity as it is.

5CFD6133-79BC-467B-8038-2D0EE0CCC867.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users