• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

PhiDAC hex kits with pre-built filters

Hi Ben - those TP6 and TP8 voltages are for when no filter has been plugged in. I wanted to know what you get with the filter in-circuit. For the resistors, on mine I get 16mV for R50 and 12mV for R31. Yours sound close enough.

<afterthought> If you're getting the voltages you just reported with the filter in it means the filter isn't being connected correctly - check its not misaligned with the 20way sockets (not too hard to do) and also that the 20way sockets are fully soldered.

It was indeed a filter issue. I did check TP6 with the filter in. Had I compared it to TP5 I might have realized something was off sooner. Turns out one of the inductor wire had come loose. I soldered it up and it's back in business.

I didn't get much listening time in yet and not on my main system, but so far I am loving it. Thanks again for your help!

For a noob like me who has never SMD before, would it be possible to buy prebuilt boards?
Also, to make this a USB DAC to connect to a PC, I'd a need a USB interface, correct?

Hi chocoman - sorry I didn't catch your post earlier, seems I'm missing notifications on this thread. Yes pre-built DAC boards are available, at 200rmb over the price of a kit (i.e. 680rmb).

To make it connect to a PC a USB interface is the most common way of doing it. But PCs are rather noisy brutes and sometimes there's a Toslink (optical SPDIF) output on the motherboard, if you have one it would be better to use that because of the isolation it brings about.

Pleased to hear you're loving it, a little bit perturbed that the inductor wire got loose though. Any more details on that (not urgent, when you can drag yourself away from the music) ? I'm just curious to see if there's any way to prevent that issue recurring.

Looked like it was just a cold solder joint where one of the wires attached, so nothing major.

Hi Ktks - sorry for the delay, I didn't get notification of your post.

The variations are - you can order a kit or fully built & tested. You can choose between 3rd and 7th order filter. That's it - no options between SMD/TH.

The ordering procedure is PM me with which options you want plus your location and preferred way to pay. Then I can quote you a price including delivery.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello abraxalito,
My PhiDac Step 1 is done.
Would you be so kind to advise on how to hook it up to the Whammy headphone amplifier for power?
Whammy is in the standard LED config with transformer 15vx2.
I have received from you PhiDeca DAC kit with S/PDIF board and 2 regulators - one (15.2V) for the DAC and the other (10V) for the S/PDIF board.
Thank you in advance!

Hi Youri, sorry for the delay, still no notifications.

Looking at the schematic here : https://d17kynu4zpq5hy.cloudfront.net/igi/diyaudio/vDsfwJs1hewo2gis.huge the +ve rail power output is across C9. So you can power the Phi DecaDAC by running wires from C9, the +ve to the +ve side of the cap and GND to the -ve side.

Using the LED version the output voltage should be around 17V so no need for the regulator board I included.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Thanks to Richard I am now in the Phidecadac club! I ordered a built board but now realise that the majority of the smd are presoldered in the fab house so maybe I could have managed the rest of the components!

Looking forward to hooking it up. I have a cheap DIR9001 board, an AK4118 board and also I have one of Miros design pcbs to populate which is a WM8804. A few options there. Generally I use optical spdif input from a chromecast audio. I'm not really a USB man but in my main dac for now the source is Rpi and Ians Fifo.

Will be comparing this to Ians dual ess dac and also my Miro AD1862. I have high hopes from what I've read on here and also I think I do like a good implementation of these early chips.

I have a spare single Salas Ubib and also recently built up a denoiser LM317 psu so I have a couple options.

Attachments

• 20210812_163300.jpg
    20210812_163300.jpg
    1,021.3 KB · Views: 342
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Indeed Debra look forward to seeing it.

Richard.....I just 'Jerry rigged' it up a while ago to prove to myself I could get it working with the i2s board I had....and yes I could! Didn't doubt the DAC but was a first foray into i2s for me. Had some sub par psu so I need to get it properly set up. Hopefully soon! Too many projects....not enough time!

Joined 2018
Paid Member
So I'm getting a rig going hopefully this weekend. Test voltages all good. Using Salas Ubib for the 20v, set just over. Will check for any drift this evening.
Using an 18v tap for Ubib. 9v tap for the Chinese LT1963 that I shall use to pre reg the digital receiver. So 5v5 into that. Then 2 LT3o42 Chinese purple regs st 3v3 for the 2 rails in the receiver. Basically WM8804 and the receiver and crystal . I used some ferrites to isolate the 2. Dont really know or understand what I'm doing!

Hopefully a listening test this weekend. Happy new year all!