• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

PhiDAC hex kits with pre-built filters

George,

I think thats a picture of a older board. I have a V3 board
on my JLS board I left pin5(A1) and pin6(A6) alone.. didnt use.

On V3 board there is 20 pin header

pin 11 (BCLK_I2S) > clk
pin 13(DATA_I2S) >data
pin 15(LR_CLK_I2S) > ws
gnd >gnd

jumpers on B1 and B2

Rich
Hi Rich,

I picked up a JLSounds v3 USB module and have a question. In the documentation for a setup using I2S to the dac using the onboard clocks it mentions jumpers on B1 and B3, not B2. You mention B2, is this a typo ?

Thanks,

Paul

Another PhiDac hex works.

20210124_152012.jpg

20210124_152042.jpg

The sound is great. :) What is the PHASE switch for? I still want to buy a wifi module for I2s. Can you advise me on the specific type available from Aliexpress? And how to solve USB or WIFI switching?
Well thank you.

View attachment 914707

View attachment 914708

The sound is great. :) What is the PHASE switch for? I still want to buy a wifi module for I2s. Can you advise me on the specific type available from Aliexpress? And how to solve USB or WIFI switching?
Well thank you.

I'm not sure about wifi-I2S but I intend to use this in my build.

W-Input – Compact digital input board – nihtila.com

The product is available on TINDIE. It has a host of inputs and even space for further expansion if you want to add more inputs.

The board also comes with an I2S passthrough incase you intend to connect another I2S board through this one (like a USB receiver). You should also manage to use that I2S passthrough if you intend to use a direct I2S input.

Good luck.

Hi Richard,

I was playing around today and listened to a Khadas tone board dac (es9038q2m) on the same system as the Phihex dac. The Khadas dac sounds clean, but has those glassy artificial highs that I have observed in other ESS dacs that I've owned. Also had a flatter, smaller sound stage, in general a much less involving experience. The phihex was clearly the preferred dac. The tone board goes back in the spare parts drawer. I'm forward to you phidecca incarnation.

Hi Ed,

Its really a matter of what you consider a DAC's job to be. If you want as neutral as possible a DAC to deliver to you the recording with fewest alterations then the 7th order filter would be your choice. OTOH if you like your DAC to add a little flavouring - particularly noticeable on vocals which become slightly more HF-emphasized - then the 3rd order filter is the one for you.

After reading the thread I got the conclusion that the 7th order filter was overall better (maybe my english comprenhension made me miss something). Now I get it's not better or worse, It's different.
Once the dac is assembled, t's easy to change one filter for the other in aim to compare the sound
In my personal case, I already have a "transparent or accurate dac" (khadas tone board), so I think what I'm looking for it's the 3th order filter flavour. A comparison video would be very useful.

I assume te better way to connect the source is through I2s . The use of interfaces as I2s/usb or I2s/spdif ,could it alter the source signal in a negative way? (please correct me if Im wrong).

So If I connect the Phideca dac through I2s to a Rapsberry Pi running moodeaudio or volumio, Do those softwares recognise the dac properly?

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks in advance!