• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

PhiDAC hex kits with pre-built filters

Joined 2002
Paid Member
You are welcome TNT.

Now the same tests on the DAC with the 3rd order filter installed.
(again, spikes at 1st attachment are measurement glitches, there is no real distortion peaking)

George

Attachments

• distortion vs frequency at -2dBFS input.jpg
    distortion vs frequency at -2dBFS input.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 412
  • distortion vs input level (997Hz).jpg
    distortion vs input level (997Hz).jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 408
  • level dependent gain.jpg
    level dependent gain.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 406
  • settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 409
This one is my TDA8932 amp : Transformer-fed TDA8932 25W/8R mono amp kits

Its designed for speakers but I've prototyped it with headphones (HD6XX, 300 ohm) and it sounds great with them. If you buy a stereo pair you need to take the output from only one phase as the amp's bridged. This means take the +ve output and feed that through a cap to your headphone +ve. The headphone's GND goes to power supply GND. The cap should be a 2200uF electrolytic 25V.

Another Phidac sings. I threw a bunch of spare parts that I had lying around on a board to test the DAC. I used an older spdif receiver from Twisted Pear to feed the dac. I needed to select a 16 bit word length by setting AIDCONF0 and AIFCONF1 to (-) on the tristate switches to get it to work with this dac. I only had to chance to listen to it briefly on my garage system but it sounds very promising. I did a very short comparison to a modified Chinese 9038Q2M DAC that I had hooked up out there (you know the one everone was modding last year). The two dacs do sound different from each other. The 9038Q2M sounds warmer/thicker, seems not quite as detailed, probably due to the higher noise floor. Musical notes on the Phidac like piano and guitar have more prolonged decay, sound more realistic, the overall impression is it has greater detail. The highs aren't rolled off like in some NOS dacs that I've tried, sounds much better than a budget NOS TDA1387 board that I had tried out. My next step is to put it into a decent case with decent power supplies and USB input to try it out in my good systems.

Attachments

• Phidac protoboard.jpg
    Phidac protoboard.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 368
  • Phidac lives.jpg
    Phidac lives.jpg
    879.1 KB · Views: 373
Existing customers of PhiDAC hex don't need to buy a whole new DAC in order to upgrade. Seeing as the plug-in filters are not changing, the one(s) you have already will be good for PhiDeca DAC too. So then only a new baseboard will be required if you want to move up to the next generation DAC.

You should just have launched a fully-made product via kickstarter. ...such a small fraction of enthusiasts will go near soldering.

I see your signature regarding ASR, after testing their so-called top DACs/amps I came back here after buying a cheap as chips aliX 1387 DAC -what have I been missing..it completely hoses the DS DACs..so liquid and analogue and I know its not even a corrected design like the above DAC you have.

Jaxhouse, I currently have a SMSL Sanskrit MkII here on loan from another DIYA member. An example of a modern DAC which ticks all the boxes for objective performance with noise and distortion measurements and thus something that many would expect to sound phenomenal according to its ASR review. Yes, I tried it with multiple transports, and upsampling up to 768KHz. And yet...TDA1387 even in a basic implementation, absolutely stomps it in terms of subjective sound quality.