• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

PhiDAC hex kits with pre-built filters

Hi, I am interested in Kit for PhiDAC hex mainboard with 7th order filter pre-built and tested, with spdif(optical and/or rca) i2s module, shipping to Serbia.
If it is not to much trouble for you, please calculate same configuration but with 3th order filter instead of 7th order filter.
I would pay by PayPal, even it is more costly.
By your opinion, what is better choice regarding more clean high frequencies, 7th order filter or 3th order filter?
Thanks!

Hi there - thanks for your interest. Looks like shipping to Serbia's a fair bit more expensive than Malaysia (but it is a lot further away) - we've been quoted 155RMB by DHL.

On S/PDIF interface boards there's a choice - I'm a fan of AK4113 and here's a board which uses that chip : SPDIF????AK4113???,I2S??,?????,?????-???. There are options with CS8414 and DIR9001 if you lean towards those devices.

A 7th order kit plus S/PDIF board as above shipped to Serbia transacted via PayPal would come to 114euro in total. With the 3rd order filter it comes to 73euro.

In my estimation the high frequencies are cleaner with the 7th order filter.

Hi everyone, so I've received my board of PhiDAC hex with 7th order filter few days back, brought it to life today - and simply given it is a pleasure to listen to! Richard is comminicating better than most profi manufacturers and shops, all went supersmooth and result.. just WOW! thanks mate! You've made me happy :)

Hi there - thanks for your interest. Looks like shipping to Serbia's a fair bit more expensive than Malaysia (but it is a lot further away) - we've been quoted 155RMB by DHL.

On S/PDIF interface boards there's a choice - I'm a fan of AK4113 and here's a board which uses that chip : SPDIF????AK4113???,I2S??,?????,?????-???. There are options with CS8414 and DIR9001 if you lean towards those devices.

A 7th order kit plus S/PDIF board as above shipped to Serbia transacted via PayPal would come to 114euro in total. With the 3rd order filter it comes to 73euro.

In my estimation the high frequencies are cleaner with the 7th order filter.

Thank you very much, Is it ok to PM you over the weekend about details?
Most probably I will order 7th order kit plus S/PDIF board you proposed (with AK4113)?

Hello Richard,
my dac kit arrived today in perfect shape.
Thanks
Guglielmo

Attachments

• phidackit.jpg
    phidackit.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 679
Joined 2014
Paid Member
.....I agree feedback is very important to honing a design - but its not the quantity of feedback, rather its quality that matters....

Excellent point Abraxalito!
eBay feedback is rarely constructive and certainly not going to better your design. But, you will get complaints about damage/not working items from buyers that have nefarious thoughts in mind.

ebay, amazon feedbacks are rarely about designs. they are about the seller's efficiency and responsiveness to various sales transactions and logistics arrangements. this platform here - in diyaudio, has far more meaningful feedback one can get regarding design improvements.

Thanks for your interest :) The 7th order filter gives a subjectively lower noise floor and piano sounds more realistic on it. Technically the 3rd order filter isn't as steep, allows more image frequencies through but has less ringing than the 7th order.

If i have money for only one type of filter, which one would u recommend - i am listening to vocals most of the time, with tube amps.

@Vunce, @commstech - agreed. Taobao is pretty much the same - when I've relayed design feedback to sellers via my wife (as I don't know enough Chinese) they've not been interested in that kind of feedback.

@commstech - what kind of vocals? If multitracked perhaps the 3rd order is good enough. I will be doing a test for a prospective customer between 3rd and 7th order filters, he's sent me a link to the music he likes and we are going to have a listen to see if there's a difference between filters. If you send/give me a link to your sample music I'll do the same for you.

Last edited:
I will be doing a test for a prospective customer between 3rd and 7th order filters, he's sent me a link to the music he likes and we are going to have a listen to see if there's a difference between filters.

We (me and my wife) did a comparative listen last night on some Hindi singing tracks. How it turned out was the 7th order filter gave a more 'ethereal' presentation such that voices and instruments seemed to float in space and appear out of nowhere. Easier to get lost in the music with 7th order, very 3D - in contrast, with the 3rd order, voices had a slight HF 'edginess' to them and piano notes didn't sound as pristine. Sometimes there were slight artifacts around the notes and there wasn't as much overall ambience.

This customer especially liked 'edginess' or 'crispiness' on voices so based on our comparison opted for the 3rd order filter. We did the comparison on HD6XX using two paralleled PhiAMP SE classA headphone amps : PhiAMP SE ClassA headphone amp

Last edited: