• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Purifi 1ET400A / Hypex NC500 Input Buffer

I don’t have a problem paying you in advance Tom, it’s the awful current exchange rate that puts me off.

I understand. I should have the assembly quote for Rev. 2.0 tomorrow. By then I'll know whether it'll be necessary to raise prices.

It is very nice to look at and hold it in the hands ;-) Even though the prototype boards I had were "Neurochrome prototype green" and not "Neurochrome blue".

Yeah. Green is lower cost. It also makes it easy to tell the prototypes from the production versions. :)

The flexibility will appease DIYers, and paranoid people like me can easily have double regulation for the most sensitive part of the 1ET400a (modulators and comparators)!

That was indeed the plan. Thanks for sharing your build pictures, by the way. It looks like a quite nice build.

The connector pinouts are the same, except that the Purifi does not signal CLIP, so it is unused there.

There are a few other differences. I think I counted five differences. I've worked around them in the design to ensure that the Buffer is plug-n-play both with the Purifi 1ET400A and the Hypex NC500. The prominent difference, as you point out, is that the Hypex NC500 provides a CLIP signal, which the Purifi 1ET400A does not.

Tom

The 10-pin ribbon cable is easy: You can put multiple connectors on the same cable. For the 6-pin power cable, you'd need to fashion a harness that connects from the one 6-pin connector on the SMPS1200 to the Buffers.

Tom
Thanks for the response. What is the type of that 6-pin harness. It seems the one on your module is identical to the one on the Hypex PSU, but I don't see any reference to the harness type (other than that it is a 6-connector harness).
Thanks.

closed account
Joined 2007
Tom,
Forgive me if this has already been explained, but how do two of your buffers connects to a single Hypex 1200A400? Is there a special cable from the PSU, or is there a jumper between your modules that can carry power one to the other?
Thanks,
Ron

You can either purchase two cable connection kits (from Hypex or Purifi) and splice them together, or even make your own. It is not difficult, since I managed to do it myself with the JST connectors as specified in the Purifi documentation. See here: Purifi 1ET400A / Hypex NC500 Input Buffer

I strongly recommend using the pre-crimped leads. You can find them by typing "JST VL" into Digikey's search bar. That should give you this: Jumper Wires, Pre-Crimped Leads | Cable Assemblies | DigiKey

I would buy the 30 cm / 12" ones and cut them in half. If you buy 12 of them, it should be fairly trivial to make an Y harness of an appropriate length.

You can also buy the harness from Hypex.

Tom

closed account
Joined 2007
I strongly recommend using the pre-crimped leads. You can find them by typing "JST VL" into Digikey's search bar. That should give you this: Jumper Wires, Pre-Crimped Leads | Cable Assemblies | DigiKey

WAT, THE BASTARDS! Pre-crimped leads exist? I had to crimp the whole dozen (well I actually only need 10, since the two grounds are connected on the FE02 and also on your boards, and I have only a single ground common to +VP and -VP) myself. Not difficult at all, but still annoying. I am easily annoyed :)

WAT, THE BASTARDS! Pre-crimped leads exist?

Heh... Yeah... :) In fact, I generally avoid connectors where I can't get pre-crimped leads.

I had to crimp the whole dozen (well I actually only need 10, since the two grounds are connected on the FE02 and also on your boards, and I have only a single ground common to +VP and -VP) myself. Not difficult at all, but still annoying. I am easily annoyed :)

I have a pretty decent ratcheting crimp tool and have crimped many leads in the past. However, I always have to make do with what I have. The crimping die is never the exact one recommended by the manufacturer, so I double up with a dab of solder, which sorta blows the point of crimping in the first place. Blowing $400 on a die that matches the connector is just not in my budget, so I've come to rely on the pre-crimped leads.

Some of the leads are made by the manufacturer of the connector (Molex MegaFit, for example). Others, I think Digikey actually makes in-house.

Tom

closed account
Joined 2007
Beautiful work! How would you configure a mono, based on your experience now?

In that case for a mono amplifier, I would use
- a Ghent case or similar
- 1 1ET400A module
- 1 Hypex SMPS1200A400
- 1 Neurochrome Hypex/Purifi input buffer
- little daughterboard on the buffer for power supply with hypex regulators. These are fed from +-Vaud.

Alternative to the SMPS1200A400: the SMPS600A400 should be fine but you need a little buck converter on VDR to bring it from 17.5 to 15V over the -VP of the main supply. Put a little capacitor (47nF?) after the buck converter. This way you save quite a bit of money.

For the first time in Neurochrome history, I am able to lower - yes! lower (as in: make smaller) - my prices. I can only do that for the first batch of Purifi/Hypex Buffers, though.

Here's the deal: My PCB manufacturer screwed up and delivered the boards with hot-air levelled solder coating rather than the immersion gold finish I'd specified. As the boards were not as specified, the boards were free to me, and I will pass those savings onto you.
Naturally, the gold makes no difference electrically, but gold plating is expected in the audio market, and my assembly house appreciates the gold finish, as it's easier to clean before assembly. Gold plating aside, the boards are perfectly fine, and it would be a shame to let them go to waste. So the first build of Purifi/Hypex Buffers will use the solder-plated boards.
Furthermore, I shopped around a bit for the JST connectors and found that Future Electronics had them for a rather small fraction of what Digikey charges. I'll pass the savings there onto you.

Thus, the prices for the first batch will be:
QTY 2+: $125/each
QTY 3+: $119/each
QTY 5+: $109/each
QTY 10+: $99/each

Once the first batch has sold, you can expect the prices to go up by $15-20. The exact amount will depend on the USD/CAD exchange rate at the time, parts cost, etc.

Those who have placed their preorders already will soon see a refund of the excess amount paid.

I expect to have the Buffers in stock and shipping by the middle of next week (probably May 6th).

Tom

I wait with great anticipation for my boards!

I expect to ship today (or tomorrow at the very latest).

Fresh from the assembly house. Arrived yesterday afternoon:
PuriPex_R2p0_ASSY.jpg

I'm working feverishly on getting the documentation completed. I need to test a few boards before I can start to ship.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Just brought a input buffer for my Purifi 1ET400A amplifier. May I ask some technical questions on input buffer?

From manual, pinout of J2 is compatible to pinout of J4 of SMPS1200A400. If I user external voltage regulator (brought the PCB) on input buffer, should I configure J4 and J4 of SMPS1200A400 to provide unregulated voltage to the input buffer?

Eric