• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ZOUDIO AIO4CH: 4-channel amplifier with DSP and Bluetooth

Noviygera, Yes you can configure it however you want. I currently have the zoudio running a pair of component speakers (mid and tweet with passive crossover) on the A&B channel, while C & D channel are bridged running a 4ohm 12'' subwoofer. It works great !

The best part is you can setup your highpass for the components and run the sub at whatever frequency you want. And you still have all your EQ settings and time delays if you want them :)

Luke: Will the new amp have any outputs in order to run an external Sub amp?

Or can the bluetooth connect to multiple amps to allow more channels ??

Last edited:
Is it possible to get airplay 2 so that I can use in whole house audio we are an Apple family and airplay 2 is very convinient

Pretty sure you'd need the right Airport Express module to interface to the Apple system. It would be an analog signal coming out of the AE and into the amp.

The AE also does optical Toslink, which would keep the connection digital. Perhaps you could use something like DIR9001 module coaxial / fiber optic reception SPDIF to I2S output 24bit 96khz | eBay to convert to I2S.

Then, get an I2S connection going into the amp. I did it with the old amp version - not with that specific module, but a USB to I2S. Unsure if the new one supports I2S - without major surgery - which could be risky.

I believe nothing outside of Apple's own product line will work with airplay 2, just out of the box. Can an Apple phone be an airplay 2 target? You could connect that to the new Zoudio via bluetooth...

Power Supply also via USB-C possible, so one cable plug&play? I guess 100W is max. for USB-C.

The amp wants a much higher value for its main power supply that the 5V I assume USB-C provides, so, no - that's not going to work. I'm using ~20V.

However...from the internet -

"For example, USB Type-C alone can support up to 5 volts at 3 amps (15 W), while USB Type-C with USB PD allows the ecosystem to support several power levels up to a maximum of 20 volts at 5 amps (100 W)."

What audio streamer source is there that provides "USB Type-C with USB PD"? That'd be interesting to know. Is someone going to be making a 20V, 5A power supply that you connect a USB cable to, then a second cable to a device that runs off 20V? Just curious what they were thinking...

What audio streamer source is there that provides "USB Type-C with USB PD"? That'd be interesting to know. Is someone going to be making a 20V, 5A power supply that you connect a USB cable to, then a second cable to a device that runs off 20V? Just curious what they were thinking...

This RPi Hat, with Merus MA12070 amp chip, can be powered by USB C PD, up to 20V, 100W

High-quality-hifi-digital-ClassD-power-amplifier-module-merus-ma12070-2x80w.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

It could be poweed, for example, by this:

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Hyphen-X-Charging-Laptops-Compatible/dp/B08X42DRMR/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=usb+c+pd&qid=1634798510&sr=8-3

As a note of appreciation...

That little Merus hat looks pretty cool, but I see the MA12070 chip doesnt have DSP. One would think they'd make it so you could stack 'em to the ceiling - or until the Pi's little PIO pins run out of drive. Separate amp for each driver in a 2-3-4 way - still have to use passive XO.

I think the HiFiberry amp's TAS chip has the DSP ability, but HiFiBerry didnt bother with either a stackable arrangement or a way to do the filter programming from the pi. Must be really hard to implement in a usable way.

It's really nice to be listening to a two way system with DSP XO, rather than dreaming about what you could do if this, then that. Thanks, Lutkeveld for all your hard work that continues to result in my enjoyment. Here's to your future success with these designs!

Guess that makes me a fan. (as if anyone couldnt tell from my sig...)

Hello all,

I have been playing with the amp for some time now and I have few questions :

- How does the dynamic EQ work ? How do I know where is the limit between high and low volume ? Is it dependent on start volume and max volume ? Peripheral volume (phone volume) ? Gain you apply with the rotary encoder ? I would be great if this feature was tunable.

- I have a buzz sound from 30Hz to 90Hz at any gain, but only when the box is sealed (with passive radiator). Could it be amplifier related ? (It is present even on battery power.)

Thanks ! And I am looking forward to see the new amplifier.

...which means that if you have your satellites on channel A and B, you can only give them both the same input (left OR right OR mono). No individual settings, so A=left, B= right is not possible.

But in a couple of weeks, with an upcoming version of the configuration tool, it will be possible to set all input mixer channels invididually at the cost of not being able to use crossover/delays (equalizer is still available) due to limited DSP power.

Will this be possible with the new version?
In other words, having A=left, B=right with C and D bridged mono?

Ok. I've found the Notches etc below the initial 4 filters on the drop down menu. Doh.

There is a high pitch whine/hiss when the amp is in standby. This goes away when music starts playing via Bluetooth. It starts again about five seconds after the music is stopped. There is a faint crack and a flash on one of the LEDs on the mini-usb programming board, then the hissing starts. Any ideas?

Thanks

@illnastyimpreza
The new bluetooth chipset has a daisy chain function, but it's not functional at launch.
As firmware development progresses, the goal is to enable it.

@tigerananad
You could hook that up via the aux port.

@ the usb-c discussion.
The USB-C port is only meant for reprogramming.
It does not supply power to the amplifier outputs.
Two TAS5825M's is just outside the power budget for USB-C.
Who knows in the future with smaller amp chips...

@jjasniew
Thank you for the kind words!

@jimmydan
Dynamic EQ is based on actual volume, not rotary
It slowly mixes out the low level EQ starting at -30dB
and fully replaces it with the high level EQ around -10dB.

@defo
Yes

@dublin78
As jimmydan points out, it's probably related to the amplifier switching over to aux.
What kind of power supply are you using?

AIO438 available for pre-order!

The pre-order page of the AIO438 just went live!
ZOUDIO AIO438 - Z O U D I O

A small recap of the improvements over the AIO4CH:
The AIO438 is based around the same amplifier chip as the AIO4CH but adds a list of improvements:
1) Upgrade to BT5.0
Improves the sound quality, range and power consumption.

2) Onboard antenna
Ideal for compact installations. Connecting an external antenna is still possible.

3) Onboard USB-C port
So the board can be reprogrammed without the need for external programmers.

4) Improved configuration tool
Easier to use with faster upload speed and a more robust data transfer protocol. The beta version has been send out quite some time ago, and the feedback is good. Currently it is released with a limited feature set. The version with a full feature set will be released together with the AIO438.

The amplifier will be released with the same functionality as the AIO4CH minus the TrueWirelessStereo function.

For those interested, there will be a developer software package available, which allows developers to access the firmware of the bluetooth module. There are multiple features that are nice to have (USB soundcard, SPDIF, TWS), but too time intensive to include at the release date. Hopefully with the help of other community members we can expand the functionality over time and release the updates to other users. If you want access to this package, leave a note in your order at checkout.

The amplifier will start to ship on the 14th of januari in order of payment.
Again, have a look for yourself on the productpage:
ZOUDIO AIO438 - Z O U D I O