Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Universal Buffer achieving -140 dBc (0.00001 %) THD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2020, 12:43 PM   #71
zgtc is offline zgtc  Europe
diyAudio Member

Also, it's not necessarily $40, a quick search returns REC15E-2412DZ and BPM15-120-Q48N-C for $30
Old 14th January 2020, 07:25 PM   #72
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgtc View Post
Also, it's not necessarily $40, a quick search returns REC15E-2412DZ and BPM15-120-Q48N-C for $30
You may be talking in USD vs the CAD I see on Mouser.

Here's a rough estimate for the total solution cost with the DC/DC converter you mention:
DC/DC Converter: $43.52
AC/DC switching supply: $27.36
TOTAL: $70.88

Here's the estimate for a solution based on the IRM-15-15 (mains input, 15 V output):
IRM-15-15: $13.92/each. Two are needed.
TOTAL: $27.84

So basically, you're willing to pay $43 CAD (= $33 USD) to avoid having to solder an IEC mains connector. I wonder how many would be willing to do that.

The supply I have in mind will be fancier than just two IRM switching bricks.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 12.12.18.png (331.6 KB, 260 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 12.14.30.png (365.5 KB, 260 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 12.12.42.png (336.4 KB, 256 views)
Old 14th January 2020, 07:40 PM   #73
zgtc is offline zgtc  Europe
diyAudio Member

I also gave two other reasons (size and isolation with other PSU's), but sometimes DIY can be none-sense
Not trying to have an argument, (at all, I love your products, from which I own some), just putting more options on the table. You liked the SilentSwitcher options as well, and it's even more expensive than what i'm proposing.
Old 14th January 2020, 08:25 PM   #74
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

I will be using the SilentSwitcher with the Universal Buffer (UB) in a special application (laboratory buffer/amp, SE-Bal and Bal-SE converter) where the only powered module is the UB. I need best possible performance and the ability to take it off the grid. Therefore the SilentSwitcher. Furthermore, I already have it so it free
Old 14th January 2020, 10:34 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I also gave two other reasons (size and isolation with other PSU's), but sometimes DIY can be none-sense
You'd get the same isolation with the IRM switching bricks.

Quote:
Not trying to have an argument, (at all, I love your products, from which I own some), just putting more options on the table. You liked the SilentSwitcher options as well, and it's even more expensive than what i'm proposing.
I'm not trying to start an argument either. I'm sorry if I didn't "like" your solution to the same extent as the use of Jan's SilentSwitchers. There's a difference between "I'm going to use this other product" and "I think you should offer a product based on this...". In the former case, I look at whether the chosen solution is likely to break performance. In case of the SilentSwitcher, that's incredibly doubtful. In the latter case, I have to look at cost, market needs, etc.

I really do value your input. Thank you. It just so turns out that I've already looked at the solution you propose and decided against it due to cost.
Now there are other considerations in play here. Size is another one. The IRMs are pretty big. Add IEC inlet, output regulation, etc. and you're quickly at a 100x160 mm board size. That's definitely "large and in charge" for a preamp.

I'll keep thinking and maybe order some samples.

Tom
Old 15th January 2020, 02:25 AM   #76
diyAudio Member

I've been poking around some more. TDK has some really nice options for isolated DC/DC switchers. They're not cheap, but would make for an insanely compact PCB. That's pretty attractive too. I'll keep thinking.

Tom
Old 15th January 2020, 05:24 AM   #77
acg is online now acg  Australia
diyAudio Member

Tom, for what it is worth, for my purposes and in my situation, I don't really care how small something is or even how inexpensive it may be. I may be unusual, but I find the idea of making something small just because you can is abhorrent unless there are zero tradeoffs performance wise.

When you've had a chance to re-measure these buffers with say 12dB gain I'll make an order. The power supplies may even be interesting depending on where you end up with the design. An IR input selector board would be great...

Ians LiFePO4 battery power supplies would probably be nice as a power supply in a preamp with these buffers...there are a couple spare in the cupboard. Also, I have a high quality autoformer volume control here that would be worth trying out between your buffer and the amplifiers.

Anthony
Old 15th January 2020, 06:33 AM   #78
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acg View Post
Tom, for what it is worth, for my purposes and in my situation, I don't really care how small something is or even how inexpensive it may be. I may be unusual, but I find the idea of making something small just because you can is abhorrent unless there are zero tradeoffs performance wise.
I agree with that. It's exceptionally rare that I optimize for only one variable.

I've found a DC/DC converter that happens to be incredibly tiny and able to supply plenty of power. It'll provide lower output ripple and noise than the Mean Well IRM-series. Also - and importantly - it switches at very high switching frequency (400-500 kHz), which makes effective post-filtering relatively easy to accomplish. The only drawback is cost ($35 USD).

OTOH, the small size would make it possible for me to offer the PCB for not that much money, so the total solution cost may end up being roughly the same as my original solution with the Mean Well IRM-series.

Tom
Old 15th January 2020, 06:54 AM   #79
acg is online now acg  Australia
diyAudio Member

Tom, are there any tradeoffs regarding RFI/EMI with these switching power technologies? My 0.2mV cart/phono may appreciate lower emissions.
Old 15th January 2020, 07:07 AM   #80
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acg View Post
Tom, are there any tradeoffs regarding RFI/EMI with these switching power technologies? My 0.2mV cart/phono may appreciate lower emissions.
Not to my knowledge. I bet you get vastly more interference from your wifi network and cell phone. Many switchers are designed such that they can be used in the telecom industry. Thus, they tend to be significantly more quiet than a typical linear supply.

Tom

Universal Buffer achieving -140 dBc (0.00001 %) THDHide this!Advertise here!