Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Neurochrome HP-2 ultra-low distortion headphone amplifier
Neurochrome HP-2 ultra-low distortion headphone amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #61
ItsAllInMyHead is offline ItsAllInMyHead  United States
diyAudio Member

@noviygera & @mbrenna -

I try to only post what I'm personally certain of, even if I'm not sure if it will apply to others. I am always terribly reluctant to post any kinds of small details regarding comparisons between amps for a few reasons... some serious and some a bit tongue in cheek.

1) How do you know I'm not deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other?
2) Unless you care about the same headphones, my impressions likely won't matter very much. I have found that certain headphones and amp combinations work better for me than others (within reason) and likely will for you as well. What I hear from one set of headphones in all likelihood will not apply to others. The HD800S sound the best on one amp (to me) and the HD820 sound better on another (to me). IEMs are really only best-suited to 2 of the amps IMO. The Meze's were fine with all but the Crack.
3) If you care about what tubes I used in the Crack or the Lyr, what OpAmps I used in the WHAMMY, what cables I use etc, or believe those things are meaningful to helping a person choose an amp over another, then my impression won't matter. OH... he only had a stock Tung-Sol in the Lyr.... THAT's why he didn't love it the best
4) We may care about different things in our music.
5) I often use digital EQ, so ...
6) I am a horrible critical listener and didn't take a lot of notes.
7) When I read others' impressions online using the same gear, I often don't agree.

With that said, if anyone would like to know something specific that I can answer - I'll be absolutely transparent with my impressions. Feel free to PM me or ask in the forum if you'd like me to listen to one of your favorite songs between a few amps. I may give it a shot, and I'd get to learn some new music perhaps. What I won't attempt to do is use audiophile terms like "warm ... gooey... flat... dry... tingly.... " etc. to try and describe differences. If I hear a difference... then I'll try to describe it the best I can in terms we all may know. I love listening, I don't like "critical" listening all that much, but I can do my best. If you have particular things you look for in the songs, that's helpful. Don't ask me if someone sounds like they do live or if the guitar sounds exactly like your PRS driven through an old DeVille ... I won't know.

Some other things that were meaningful to me that weren't mentioned.

I love all the amps. I am keeping all the amps.

Tidbits -
1) Lyr 3 does not work well at all for me with IEMs even on low gain. Since I like IEMs and use them a bit - that was a large factor for that use. Still an awesome amp, IMO.
2) ACP+ brings what I might consider the most engaging or "toe-tapping" presentation, but something I can't quite put my finger on... just was missing.
3) I love the WHAMMY. It was the most steady on my desk for a long time. I still may swap back and forth more. I feel like the HP-2 reveals a bit more detail / provides more information... if that makes sense.
4) The Crack is an excellent amp, but it's a PITA for me on a work desktop, and it really only shines with the Senns. It is IMO, the most "forgiving" of all the amps. It's also an amp that reveals changes in tubes, so ... my Crack and many others are likely very different and won't sound the same.

All of this should be taken with a dump truck load of salt. When people describe "Night and Day" differences, I usually hear subtle changes that might waver a bit over time. I like the HP-2 quite a bit, but with the exception of some of the amps' performance with low impedance HPs or IEMs - all the differences are pretty subtle to me.

Neurochrome HP-2 ultra-low distortion headphone amplifierHide this!Advertise here!