• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5A

Khadas tone board sounds good , in my opinion , but in many blind tests vs Katana SQ, PecanPI , Pimo , Boss and more i2s DACs...it never won

Katana SQ with 2x 5V linear PSU was the most liked... (Katana SQ with 1 SMPS was at the bottom of the list)

Rev is better that Katana SQ with LPS (2x 5V)

One more observation , check THD vs frequency with bandwidth of 90Khz

You can see the signal degrading at 90Khz bandwith (hi frequency noise/H) that should not be audible ..but in my testing I found this hifi noise/H is responsible for what its called "digitalis and fatiguing sound"

In fact I halted Katana DAC because of this particular issue , I could hear "fatiguing " sound and after I fixed the hi frequency it mostly went away

Rev has the same THD+N vs Frequency at 90Khz bandwith and 20Khz bandwidth (almost)...its flat or rather less at 18-20Khz than at 1Khz . (20Khz bandwidth indicates that a 19Khz test tone has no harmonics so THD appears "- infnite"

No digitalis on Rev .

I think that the designer of the Khadas is very competent .

I agree that Revolution DAC is pretty smooth rather than grainy, especially good for a Sabre DAC in that regard.

Did find a couple of other types of issues that I related to cdsgames, don't know how the latest board revision compares.

Amazing how long it has taken and is still taking for people to understand how to best design with ESS DACs. Probably mostly because of the NDA approach ESS has taken, and also because they don't know how to design their own evaluation boards all that well.

Say, what about a Windows driver for Rev.?

Last edited:
I own a Khadas board. I paid 89€ for it. I attached external power (Shanti 3A-out) to the board via GPIO. The RPi4 gets the 1A-out.
I also added an iFi USB filter that I had around. It turns out to be a real nice KISS setup.

I never thought I'd go back to USB after all these DAC-HAT years. ( I have most of the HATs still around). Obviously there was no RPi4 then.
The still rather new PI4 PCI/USB setup is a complete different story compared to the older siblings. Especially on the USB and network side.
I'd really highly recommend a RPi4 for somebody who want to switch back to USB DACs.

Note: I havn't seen what this or that USB bridge does. Above statement relates to stock RPIs only!

I do hope that we'll see some further developments on the HAT market.

And then I also finally modded my Shanti setup. My solution basically addressed all the little issues I had with Shanti:

* turn on/off thumps&suckers
* supercap discharge over attached devices
* joint rail switching
* rail switching timing
* cable length
* plugs, jacks and adapters

How it's done?

It's been done by attaching relays to the DC rails. These relays I control by a ESP8266 module via Wifi (browser/phone apps).
Basically I have remote controlled DC-rail switches now.
That ESP8266 and the relays are powered separately. This way I have 0 impact on the Shanti DC rails by the additional electronics.

To me this setup now gets as close to my idea of the ideal power solution as I can imagine. :D

Enjoy.

Nirvana as such has passed the thermal test (its still under full load) and we are measuring internal and external temp (stable at max 45C)

Wurth advised (last week) that the schedule for transformers manufacturing is end of March (unfortunately ) due to holidays and some issue with raw materials

I am expecting to have them for sale 2 weeks after receiving transformers. We have all components , PCB in stock (including FCC approval )

Sorry for the delay but in manufacturing , sometimes, scheduling is out of our hands

There is new software that supports the usbridge sig if anyone wants to try it
GentooPlayer

Download link for latest 64 bit version is a few posts down, #453.
I had pops at first, but was able to tweak to fix.
There is also a link at top here
GentooPlayer - Page 21 - Software - Audiophile Style

For a patch that helped some of the others with pops.

Even if you don't have pops, this sw provides lots of options and tweaks, imho its worth taking a look at.

Also the developer is very responsive to posts on that thread.

Randy

Nirvana as such has passed the thermal test (its still under full load) and we are measuring internal and external temp (stable at max 45C)

Wurth advised (last week) that the schedule for transformers manufacturing is end of March (unfortunately ) due to holidays and some issue with raw materials

I am expecting to have them for sale 2 weeks after receiving transformers. We have all components , PCB in stock (including FCC approval )

Sorry for the delay but in manufacturing , sometimes, scheduling is out of our hands

Any decision on price? and tech specs/performance measurements