• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5A

Higher order harmonics sound increasingly worse as the order increases. 3rd order is still very low order and can add a sense of increased clarity if used at very low levels. It will however also produce some audible IMD which can become objectionable pretty quickly if too much.

Last edited:
You know, if it is easy to A/B two HD settings, and or easy to turn HD on/off simply, then perhaps Revolution could become the dac of choice for training people how to hear distortion, and for distortion perception testing. Not exactly the listening enjoyment use cdsgames envisions, but it could turn out to be an important application for the dac and result in more units sold.

Thx you jonjon77 , I agree with your assessment .

Mark at -121 to -124 db distortion is consider inaudible by majority of articles I have read

PLease also note that we are at the floor of our AP machine , I expect an improvement of 1 to 2 db on a better AP machine .

In the end its not significant , but I think that most people will enjoy the euphonics aspect of Rev much more than perfect THD . We had the same experience with Katana THD vs SQ. Main difference was H2 and H3 :)

I also think that most people dont realize how "great sound with 3D stage" has some strong H2 harmonics associated to it.

In any case , I am playing at the moment with H2 and I am amazed how it changes the sound (at rather lowish levels)

I believe that some H3 harmonic component might be further beneficial (less than H2 levels)

New Revolution PCB is under testing .

ps. I think that we got rather better results than datasheet of es9038 (thd+h at -120) , our THD is -124.5 on one channel . We are employing a new trick on MCLK :)

The ultimate test of musicality might be to do a blind test between Revolution DAC with 2nd harmonic added VS same vocal track played on a VPI Scout turntable with a tube preamp outputting to the same Amp.
See if the vocal from the DAC is as smooth, Airy and natural sounding as from the VPI.

Nirvana is a SMPS with very low noise (almost as good as Shanti) but no supercaps on output.

Its a cheaper solution that can give great results .

Still I consider Shanti to be a better (slightly) solution .

I would love to use it to power the RPi in my DigiOne Signature. Do you have some pictures of the board and case for us? How is it compared to the iFi, which has a very high common mode noise?

Hi Sanjeev

I think that most analog solution are better sounding because of the harmonics content (and probably some other reasons) working synergistic

Revolution hasH2/H3 harmonic adjustable . Will it sound as good as a turntable with a tube amp ? I doubt it.

However , for any digital source , Revolution sounds "ok" ( with H2/H3 harmonic compensated SQ) and if you think that THD numbers matter than we deliver one of the best measured DAC above most toppings/smsl (especially in the price range)

1.2 ver Revolution PCB feedback of THD version has been "better than Katana SQ with 2-3 5V PSUs"

We improved further on this PCB (ver 1.3) and introduced SQ mode . I am able to see and understand the MCLK noise and how it affects the DAC output . I dare to say that our MCLKs have been very good (from Kali onwards) but Revolution last PCB is way above anything we did before

We are looking not only at jitter but phase noise and RF (hundreds of Mhz)

Last edited:
cdsgames maybe you should take a look at TIM of revolution DAC according to Miska developer of HQplayer it's also another factor in perceived SQ which most people don't take measurements of:
index.php

The four high peaks are part of the test tone. Rest of the lower level peaks shouldn't be there.

Rev has better THD than Katana yes. In fact , if you take away the N part of THD , since N is not that important or audible at that lavel) , Rev is one of the best DACs in the world

I am not really sure who has THD of -121 to -124, ,maybe the new Topping AKM4499 ?

Feedback on Katana with 2-3 5V PSU (sitting on RPI stock) vs Rev with 1 Shanti (thats how we tested Rev) has been rather unanimous . Rev sounds better

Rev vs Katana modified (sitting on Usbridge Sig) or Katana with linear PSU for analog stage or vs AKM4499 with good linear PSUs, Rev sounds worst .

Now we have improved tech on Ver 1.3 but so far I have only one tester (me and our engineer team , that are not audiophiles)

Due to my track record and the reality that I don't have golden years , I will make no comment

I will say that based on articles that I presented , a slightly less THD (since H2 is increased) seems to have enough evidence to show that it outputs a more pleasing sound (closer to tube) with only a small sacrifice on "pure THD"

Its nice though to be able to chose THD or SQ in software .

Nirvana has a way to earth the DC ground and we designed it to remove any current leakage

Noise wise its better than 1uV (ifi stated spec) and of course it goes up to 2.9A so more than enough power for even rpi4

OK thanks! Than this will be the power supply to run my RPI...would be a waste of money to use an LPS - but maybe the Shanti is also an option, as it is reasonable priced...

Rev has better THD than Katana yes. In fact , if you take away the N part of THD , since N is not that important or audible at that lavel) , Rev is one of the best DACs in the world

I am not really sure who has THD of -121 to -124, ,maybe the new Topping AKM4499 ?

Feedback on Katana with 2-3 5V PSU (sitting on RPI stock) vs Rev with 1 Shanti (thats how we tested Rev) has been rather unanimous . Rev sounds better

Rev vs Katana modified (sitting on Usbridge Sig) or Katana with linear PSU for analog stage or vs AKM4499 with good linear PSUs, Rev sounds worst .

should we expect an AKM4499 dac from you? :)

Nirvana testing completed , it lives up to our expectations, temp os casing is stable at 41-42C at full load with ambient of 23-24C

AKM4499 , I need first to validate some theories . You will not get from us a carbon copy of datasheet (that I think is the wrong way of taking advantage of that wonderful fat current output )