Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5A
Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5A
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2019, 10:54 AM   #71
matthiasw is offline matthiasw  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsgames View Post
One PSU for the whole DAC.
My question:

Is it possible to power with the 3Amp rail of Shanti the new USBridge Sig and with the 1.5Amp rail of Shanti the 5V USB Vbus output to Revolution?

Thanks

Matt

Last edited by matthiasw; 30th May 2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 30th May 2019, 11:21 AM   #72
cdsgames is offline cdsgames  Canada
diyAudio Member

Revolution has a DC connector (thats better than USB power connector), so yes with Shanti you could power both independently
Old 30th May 2019, 11:22 AM   #73
marudo is offline marudo  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well under 200$ for US/Canada/Asia (add taxes of 20% to EU)
8 layer PCB as per most of our new designs , all DPLLs are off in the DAC IC.

Opamp (1612) running in class A. ( as discussed with Mark)

wow.. an easter egg in shanti.. Im excited for new USbridge!

Cdsgames, will this be compatible with any future software updates of volumio, allo dietpi et al..
my usbridge is stuck with outdated software update..
Old 30th May 2019, 11:28 AM   #74
diyAudio Member

Usbridge Sig aka Audiophile SBC has a RPI compute module so same CPU , any soft will run on both

However there is a driver for our network chip that has to be installed, we will talk to all players and try to update the driver in the players...if we are not able to upstream it to Rasbian (and we are trying)

In fact the main reason we chose RPI was access to the latest kernel (unlike our last USBridge that had good hardware specs and bad kernel support). In the race to hardware specs , most forget (include me) that what you are using mostly the OS and RPI is ..very good at that.

Right now they are at kernel 5.0

Last edited by cdsgames; 30th May 2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 30th May 2019, 11:44 AM   #75
diyAudio Member

@cdsgames

Any thoughts about SQ of Katana vs Revolution when both compared as combo with the new USBridge Sig and Shanti?

Thanks

Matt

Last edited by matthiasw; 30th May 2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 30th May 2019, 12:03 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

@cdsgames

Can Revolution be used as a pure USB DAC, that means only USB Vbus powered without additional PS?

Thanks

Matt
Old 30th May 2019, 12:08 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

I think that Katana with the right PSUs (and yes you need dual rails psu to extract the best) is unbeatable . Dont forget that Katana can be used on a USbridge Sig as well...

Revolution was made for people that don't have time or inclinations to "play"

One PSU asks for trade offs . Still the monolitic opamps are very good and consume 1/10 of what Katana analog stage does so one 5V is enough.

As for the dual rail..thats the crucial part .

We learned from Katana , the development never stopped. I have tried many ideas and found something that worked well (filter)

Same was applied to Revolution , giving some very clean rails. But its not enough (low noise) impedance is very important . Any time someone uses a LPS on Katana opamp stage they are adding "low noise" and low impedance then sound is enhanced.

So we are just fallowing on that path.
Old 30th May 2019, 12:16 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthiasw View Post
@cdsgames

Can Revolution be used as a pure USB DAC, that means only USB Vbus powered without additional PS?

Thanks

Matt

Thats a good question Mark

The answer is NO. Anytime you add a USB source , your GND must be shared with the source since USB are not really fully differential they need the gnd as a reference . If you share gnd with your source *be it a laptop , streamer etc) you can create a loop and introduce noise

So I did something rather (I think) clever. I am taking the USB power (and gnd) and filter it using CMC and pi filters and terminate it outside the board (power is not connected to our main board).So your source gnd is shared but filtered and power draw is about 5ma

Now if I want to take power from the source , the whole filter becomes very big and unmanageable (I tried)

So Revolution needs a power source (dc barrel)
Old 30th May 2019, 12:29 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So Revolution needs a power source (dc barrel)
IIUC, that does not matter because USBridge Sig / Revolution / Shanti offer a complete streaming solution.

Matt
Old 30th May 2019, 12:34 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

I am still reviwing that part of the design , I know lots of people want a pure USB dac

Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5AHide this!Advertise here!