Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5A
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2019, 10:39 AM   #221
cdsgames is offline cdsgames  Canada
diyAudio Member

Shanti orders were sent today from EU

The packing is not ideal (but still good) until we get the new boxes for it

Enjoy :-)
Old Today, 12:12 AM   #222
Greg Stewart is offline Greg Stewart  United States
diyAudio Member

Allo Shanti first impressions...

I've had a couple of Shanti here for a few days. They've been sitting on my worktable powered to get some run-time until I could spend the time to get one connected.

My initial impressions, even before having listened to one, were very positive:

- Solidly constructed, very substantial unit.

- Aluminum case, which I prefer for audio gear over steel.

- Some level of vibration control built-in with compliant mounting of circuit board to the case while the transformer is bolted.

- Substantial raw DC filtering, with roughly 33000uF on the 3A output.

- Engineered multiple-stage regulation and filtration, remeniscent of what we see on Allo's DAC and digital component boards.

- Grounding post for easy grounding of the case and transformer frame.

- C-L-C AC filtering using a common mode choke (I use a similar one on all of my pure digital power supplies).

The units are somewhat larger than I expected, so before I could install one I needed to determine where best to place it in my downstairs setup where a somewhat modified and tweaked Katana is currently running. While I came up with five options, I took the easy way out and put it in the location that required the least amount of re-arranging (though it is now sitting where I normally place a phono stage, so it won't stay there).

Three of my placement options would allow a very short cable run to the two flying 5V input leads (DAC board/Isolator output side, Microprocessor board) I have on my Katana. The other locations, including the one I'm currently using, need about 2' leads. Since I have to adapt to the connectors I use anyway, I just cut the leads and soldered on a pair of the female mating connectors. When I try it in the closer positions, if I feel there aren't any negative impacts of the closer placement, I'll replace the installed wire leads with shorter ones using somewhat larger-gauge wire.

AND while I will test it with the stock AC cable, right now I have a much shorter and heavier one (not an audiophile cable, but 1/2 of a 12 gauge Wan Lung AC cable that Parasound used to ship with some of their gear). AND I'm using an AMR upgrade fuse (pulled from the power supplies I normally use in this position). Anti-vibration footers and damping weights are from Herbie's Audio Lab.

I installed it with the 3A output powering the DAC board/Isolator output and the 1A output powering the Microprocessor board.

The rest of the setup and Katana mods/tweaks are as described in this thread:

Getting the best out of Allo.com's new Katana DAC...

It's in and playing. With only a couple of days worth of on-time without a load and less than a couple of hours with a load, I don't want to make any detailed comparisons and assessments. BUT my initial impression is that I'm getting sound quality that is not much different than what I got with my standard DIY'd supplies for the Katana. You can see some details of my supplies in post #4 of the thread above, though the supplies I use in this setup are somewhat different in using slightly more expensive transformers and one of MPAudio's MS-HPULN for each 5V supply instead of 1/2 of a MD-HPULN as I did orginially. These two DIY'd 5V supplies have a combined component cost of roughly $700USD. So EVEN if I ultimately prefer my DIY'd supplies over the Shanti, that the Shanti is even close (I won't say better or worse at this point... ask me again in 2-3 weeks of playing time) is a huge win for Allo at 1/4 the cost in a ready-to use format.

Great work Allo!

More after a couple of weeks.

Greg in Mississippi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG8103 small.jpg (498.9 KB, 31 views)

Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5AHide this!Advertise here!