Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5A
Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5A
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2019, 11:46 AM   #1081
cdsgames is offline cdsgames  Canada
diyAudio Member

A worthy competitor to Rev from a THD+N and cost ..this is from designer of the Khadas boards . A very good designer using AP test .

Measurements of Soncoz LA-QXD1 Pre-production "Evolution of KTE Board" | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
Old 20th December 2019, 12:33 PM   #1082
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

How does it sound?
Old 20th December 2019, 12:36 PM   #1083
pinnocchio is offline pinnocchio  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yeah, measurements is one thing, how it sounds if another... But thanks for letting us know about it.

Do
Old 20th December 2019, 12:56 PM   #1084
diyAudio Member

Khadas tone board sounds good , in my opinion , but in many blind tests vs Katana SQ, PecanPI , Pimo , Boss and more i2s DACs...it never won

Katana SQ with 2x 5V linear PSU was the most liked... (Katana SQ with 1 SMPS was at the bottom of the list)

Rev is better that Katana SQ with LPS (2x 5V)
Old 20th December 2019, 01:58 PM   #1085
diyAudio Member

One more observation , check THD vs frequency with bandwidth of 90Khz

You can see the signal degrading at 90Khz bandwith (hi frequency noise/H) that should not be audible ..but in my testing I found this hifi noise/H is responsible for what its called "digitalis and fatiguing sound"

In fact I halted Katana DAC because of this particular issue , I could hear "fatiguing " sound and after I fixed the hi frequency it mostly went away

Rev has the same THD+N vs Frequency at 90Khz bandwith and 20Khz bandwidth (almost)...its flat or rather less at 18-20Khz than at 1Khz . (20Khz bandwidth indicates that a 19Khz test tone has no harmonics so THD appears "- infnite"

No digitalis on Rev .

I think that the designer of the Khadas is very competent .
Old 20th December 2019, 02:21 PM   #1086
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree that Revolution DAC is pretty smooth rather than grainy, especially good for a Sabre DAC in that regard.

Did find a couple of other types of issues that I related to cdsgames, don't know how the latest board revision compares.

Amazing how long it has taken and is still taking for people to understand how to best design with ESS DACs. Probably mostly because of the NDA approach ESS has taken, and also because they don't know how to design their own evaluation boards all that well.

Say, what about a Windows driver for Rev.?

Last edited by Markw4; 20th December 2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 20th December 2019, 02:33 PM   #1087
diyAudio Member

Windows driver will be included with Rev
Old 20th December 2019, 02:38 PM   #1088
soundcheck is offline soundcheck  Germany
diyAudio Member

I own a Khadas board. I paid 89 for it. I attached external power (Shanti 3A-out) to the board via GPIO. The RPi4 gets the 1A-out.
I also added an iFi USB filter that I had around. It turns out to be a real nice KISS setup.

I never thought I'd go back to USB after all these DAC-HAT years. ( I have most of the HATs still around). Obviously there was no RPi4 then.
The still rather new PI4 PCI/USB setup is a complete different story compared to the older siblings. Especially on the USB and network side.
I'd really highly recommend a RPi4 for somebody who want to switch back to USB DACs.

Note: I havn't seen what this or that USB bridge does. Above statement relates to stock RPIs only!

I do hope that we'll see some further developments on the HAT market.

And then I also finally modded my Shanti setup. My solution basically addressed all the little issues I had with Shanti:

* turn on/off thumps&suckers
* supercap discharge over attached devices
* joint rail switching
* rail switching timing
* cable length
* plugs, jacks and adapters

How it's done?

It's been done by attaching relays to the DC rails. These relays I control by a ESP8266 module via Wifi (browser/phone apps).
Basically I have remote controlled DC-rail switches now.
That ESP8266 and the relays are powered separately. This way I have 0 impact on the Shanti DC rails by the additional electronics.

To me this setup now gets as close to my idea of the ideal power solution as I can imagine.

Enjoy.
Old 22nd December 2019, 05:43 AM   #1089
pkdick is offline pkdick  France
diyAudio Member

Hello Soundcheck,

Could you describe a bit more precisely the setup you did with your Shanti ? I would like to do the same. Thank you in advance.
Old 22nd December 2019, 08:46 AM   #1090
soundcheck is offline soundcheck  Germany
diyAudio Member

I'm in the process of writing a HowTo. I also opened up a related thread.
The whole subject does not relate to Shanti only. That's why I called it "IoT meets Audio (DIY)"

Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5AHide this!Advertise here!