• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

OPA1656: High-Performance CMOS Audio Op Amp

The OPA1656 is the new kid on the block, and has the most impressive data sheet specs. HOWEVER......the OPA1642 draws about HALF the current, its gain bandwidth is about 1/5th, has nearly equal specs, and is about 25% less costly. The lower current draw, bandwidth, and cost make it perhaps the better choice for retrofitting into older circuits.

Stupid question from newbie, have twelve OPA2134 in my amplifiers in dip8 container. Can I just swap it on OPA1656 with just a dip8-soicd switch? The system with active crossovers, so one channel of amp amplifiers some frequency range, each channel have 3 OPA2134, one for gain, and other 2 I dont know. I even thought to use for highs (6khz+) according to specs OPA2156 :D. I very like those amps (2 x 4 channels), but I dont like tube sound they provide, I have scanspeaks as drivers and dont need more "tube" warm sound.

So I have heard about replacement by OPA627, and OPA637, have some originals from ti . com, but I think they will be "tuby" too. So what I need to do to make them work or can you recommend opa1656 as replacement for OPA2134? Some photos:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Bottom one is NE5532, I guess for active filtering, not used because I use DSP and bypassing signals.

Using adapter boards for fast opamps is usually asking for trouble. Are there any recommendations how to do it right (assuming you want to replace a DIP8 opamp with the OPA1656) ?
Where do you place the caps (which size) ?

I believe the main problem in using adpters is when you are plugging a fast DIP-8 opamp into a socket. So the contact between pins and sockets might be capacitive, particularly after some time.

Perhaps something to try is to "slightly solder" the input and output pins to the socket. Using just the minimum solder necessary to bypass the contact, but still allow removing it.

Just thinking.

Here's what I did on a slightly different opamp, SMD-to-DIP adapter
Thank you, but in this case you have supply and GND on the small PCB. My problem is how to handle DIP 8.

carlmart said:
I believe the main problem in using adpters is when you are plugging a fast DIP-8 opamp into a socket. So the contact between pins and sockets might be capacitive, particularly after some time.
My idea : don't use the socket, put the small PCB on the main PCB and make the connection by soldering the 8 individual pins (easy to desolder). But there is still the problem of the caps being quite far away.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The main possible problem is that an adapter increases parasitic capacitance between pins. In particular, any capacitance from the inverting input to other pins or ground can cause oscillations.
The good news is that in audio, impedance levels are relatively low so parasitics need to be larger to have a bad effect, and most audio opamps are not really high speed. I would not classify the OPA1656 as a high speed amp in this context. I routinely use OPA1656 and related on adapters without any issues.

The idea to put a supply decoupling SMD cap on the back side of the adapter is a good one.

Jan

OPA1656 rolling

I tried in all cases to bypass the rails with a 0.1F X7R on the backside with the shortest possible lead length. I had no oscillations or instability with the OPA1656. (or the 2156)
The opamp has good phase margin and seems quite tolerant of sub-optimal layout.
I used 10 or 12 in my preamp rolling project - never a problem with the 1656.

The preamp design however was another story - The Carver C-2 has tone control designed by a moron. The Doug Self inspired redesign works as it should.