• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

OPA1656: High-Performance CMOS Audio Op Amp

I especially enjoyed the change National made from LM (everything) to LME (audio), LMP (precision), LMX (frequency synthesizers), LMK (clocking - which somehow is different from frequency synthesizers), LMV (general purpose opamps), etc. I think it was a good move, even if the transition was a bit rough.

Tom
There were LH right? Hybrid. M is monolithic right? And then LMH monolithic high speed.

My good friend Carl put them on a DIP adapter for me, bass extends low, imaging and detail is very good. One of the best for sure, I like.

Attachments

• nxqvaGH.jpg
    nxqvaGH.jpg
    986.3 KB · Views: 547
Will there also a single chip as OPA1655 available?

And how those compete against the LME49720 :D

Hp

Last week TI put a preliminary datasheet online for the OPA1656, a low noise, very low distortion op amp targeting audio applications and fabricated in a CMOS process.

http://www.ti.com/product/OPA1656

I just checked and the sample button for the prototype devices is now active:

http://www.ti.com/product/OPA1656/samplebuy

I started this project in 2017 with the designer of the OPA1622, and although I had a change in my role at TI before the device was released to market, I'm still very proud of what was accomplished. The goals of the project were fairly straightforward:

1. Start with the OPA1688 architecture which gives very good distortion performance, even with low-impedance loads. Beef up the output

A quick snapshot of the OPA1656 performance specs:
  • 2.9nV/rtHz broadband voltage noise
  • 6 fa/rtHz broadband current noise
  • -131 dB THD+N at 1kHz, 600 ohm load, 3.5Vrms signal, 80-kHz measurement bandwidth
  • 53 MHz gain bandwidth product, 24V/us slew rate
  • >100mA output current
  • 4.0mA typical supply current, 4.5mA max

I'm looking forward to seeing what people think of the device, and hopefully it finds its way into a few projects on here!

Any comment on single opamp ???

±20 V, 100 mA, THD ~-130 dB @ 2 kΩ load. $1-something @ QTY 1k. What's not to like? :)

It looks like this one has the phase kink (lead/lag compensation) towards UGBW as well. That's the only drawback I can see. It makes it a little harder to use this opamp in a composite amp. That's not a show stopper, though. I'll just have to work harder to get around it.

Nice work John (et al.)

Tom

Sorry, I am new to these. I wanted to know why phase kink towards UGBW is a drawback ?

That's good to know; I suspected as much when I saw the 100 mA drive current capability. But I was concerned because the datasheet doesn't show any graphs for distortion with loads < 600Ω, and shows an application note depicting the use of an additional BUF 634 for driving headphones---perhaps this is only necessary for 8/16Ω loads? Also, I noticed that the distortion rises somewhat @ 10-20K Hz when driving the 600Ω load as compared to the 2KΩ load. Is it then good to go for 32Ω phones? If so, it's a pretty amazing feat for a 8-pin SOIC chip, indeed!