Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

OPA1656: High-Performance CMOS Audio Op Amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2019, 02:45 PM   #11
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyiggy View Post
Hi johnc124,

I'm a little lost in all the new TI references...

It's certainly off topic and I apologize for that but what could be the best oaps candidate (soic8 or dil8) at TI for I/V purpose with dac chip outputting no more than 1mA ?

Are there oaps with non feedback loop for this task in the catalog ? Transconductance ones ?

Many thanks and forget it if the question has no sense here as I have no EE background.
TI have the opa860/opa861 Transconductance amplifiers....
Old 19th March 2019, 04:05 PM   #12
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

Thank you so much for the hints.

I had (indeed) in mind AD844 & OPA861 (not sure the first don't use feedback!) after reading many threads here and there but was asking myself if there were something better with all the launchs from several years now...My very basic undestanding is they were good to be loaded with relativly high impedance outputt of current outputt dac chips while giving at their outputt a good enough low impedance voltage for our hihi purpose... But I'm not able to understand why they were chosed by some because of their non feedback design. I may mistaken as my knowledge is at dust level.

Thanks for that list, I'm to lurking at those oaps.
Old 26th March 2019, 01:05 AM   #13
MikeHartshorne is offline MikeHartshorne  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone - wanted to take the opportunity on this thread to introduce myself, I am the engineer that is assuming John's old role as Audio systems engineer in the precision op. amp. group at Texas Instruments. I also have been an audio enthusiast for quite a while, having tinkered or created several guitar effects/amps. Now that John is ascending the management hierarchy, he may not be able to post as often or may forget some technical details (just kidding, of course!), please let me know any questions about TI's audio amps. I'm also hoping to post the circuits we test here in our lab as they come in, stay tuned.
Old 26th March 2019, 03:06 AM   #14
BrianL is offline BrianL  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh my!
Old 26th March 2019, 03:14 AM   #15
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Mike, pleasure to have you join us.
Old 26th March 2019, 03:16 AM   #16
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc124 View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing what people think of the device, and hopefully
it finds its way into a few projects on here!
Thanks a lot, it looks great. Congratulations on your promotion.
Old 26th March 2019, 05:06 AM   #17
johnc124 is offline johnc124  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHartshorne View Post
Hi everyone - wanted to take the opportunity on this thread to introduce myself, I am the engineer that is assuming John's old role as Audio systems engineer in the precision op. amp. group at Texas Instruments. I also have been an audio enthusiast for quite a while, having tinkered or created several guitar effects/amps. Now that John is ascending the management hierarchy, he may not be able to post as often or may forget some technical details (just kidding, of course!), please let me know any questions about TI's audio amps. I'm also hoping to post the circuits we test here in our lab as they come in, stay tuned.
Welcome to the party Mike.

And don't worry, promotions haven't kept me out of the lab yet...
Old 26th March 2019, 08:56 AM   #18
sottomano is offline sottomano
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
TI have the opa860/opa861 Transconductance amplifiers....
Yeah....if only....these parts would be capable of higher voltages. But limiting it to ±6 or so Volts is very limiting (pun intended).

But, I wanted to say, it is really nice from you John (and TI) that you show up here!
Old 26th March 2019, 08:47 PM   #19
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

One thing I noticed is that the 1/f knee is a fair bit higher than the OPA165x series, which means for a substantial portion of the "critical" audio bandwidth, the latter is probably a bit quieter. Nonetheless, the higher idle current budget does enable some very nice traits and makes for a very nice general purpose opamp across a wide range of network impedances.
Old 26th March 2019, 10:15 PM   #20
johnc124 is offline johnc124  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPH View Post
One thing I noticed is that the 1/f knee is a fair bit higher than the OPA165x series, which means for a substantial portion of the "critical" audio bandwidth, the latter is probably a bit quieter. Nonetheless, the higher idle current budget does enable some very nice traits and makes for a very nice general purpose opamp across a wide range of network impedances.
I would caution you against using the "knee" in the noise curve to compare parts, and the OPA1652 and OPA1656 are a great example of why. Both parts actually have identical 1/f noise. If you pick a point on the 1/f portion of the noise spectral density curve you can see that the two parts are essentially identical. For example, at 10Hz both parts are approximately 35nV/rtHz. The knee in the OPA1656 noise curve is higher because the broadband noise of the OPA1656 is lower (2.9nV/rtHz as opposed to 3.8nV/rtHz).

OPA1656: High-Performance CMOS Audio Op AmpHide this!Advertise here!