Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

OPA1656: High-Performance CMOS Audio Op Amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2020, 11:13 PM   #161
Joachim Gerhard is online now Joachim Gerhard  Germany
diyAudio Member

I build a headphone amplifier prototype with it without buffer. I have not measured it so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A3866EA4-6E19-49B4-829D-B700C8E31E10.jpg (676.5 KB, 224 views)
Old 12th February 2020, 11:21 PM   #162
diyAudio Member

I drive a mechanically modified Meze 99 Classics with it. It played much louder then the Meze can stand. I can easy reach scull resonance and beyond.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1B2170AB-C841-4069-8D25-A7EE36026BDB.png (854.2 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg 2188BA27-30ED-47D1-AA14-AF060C38DE2B.jpg (132.6 KB, 226 views)
Old 12th February 2020, 11:49 PM   #163
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

Azul headphone amp (BAF 2019) uses an OPA1611 + LH0033 composite. It'll deliver 75mA RMS into a 32 ohm load; that is 180 mW which is quite a bit greater than the rated maximum shown in post #162.

But after (sighted) opamp rolling, I discovered I prefer the sonics with LT1122 + LH0033. The late, great George Erdi knew what he was doing when he designed the LT1122.

_
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LT1122_Erdi_LTMagazine.pdf (180.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: pdf Erdi_Low_Noise.pdf (927.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 15th February 2020, 01:03 AM   #164
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
Azul headphone amp (BAF 2019) uses an OPA1611 + LH0033 composite. It'll deliver 75mA RMS into a 32 ohm load; that is 180 mW which is quite a bit greater than the rated maximum shown in post #162.

But after (sighted) opamp rolling, I discovered I prefer the sonics with LT1122 + LH0033. The late, great George Erdi knew what he was doing when he designed the LT1122.

_
I'm not sure what redeeming qualities the LT1122 has these days, from an objective standpoint. It's not particularly fast and it's noisy. It seems like it's blown away in every metric by OPA810 and OPA828.
Old 15th February 2020, 01:24 AM   #165
johnc124 is offline johnc124  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
I build a headphone amplifier prototype with it without buffer. I have not measured it so far.
I love that case. I'm a huge pan of walnut (or other types of wood) side panels.
Old 15th February 2020, 01:52 AM   #166
diyAudio Member

Yes, it is beautiful, made by a local craftsman.
Old 15th February 2020, 02:17 AM   #167
abraxalito is online now abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I'm not sure what redeeming qualities the LT1122 has these days, from an objective standpoint.
Given its age, its cheap on the secondary market. Around $0.30 a pop. AD744 is cheaper still though and at half the supply current.
Old 15th February 2020, 07:09 AM   #168
PoweRex is offline PoweRex  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
I mean, even -60dB of any distortion should not be audible but why sound components different? Are we measuring the wrong thing ? Can sound quality be quantified per se ?
Of course that THD is not so important to the human ear/brain tandem : the last step in the signal reproduction chain is the loudspeaker itself showing more than several percent of THD in the best case ! So how would you be able to distinguish 0.0001% from 0.1% of THD in an amplifier feeding a loudspeaker ? As a comparison, we are much more sensible to IMD and even much more to phase distortion leading to jitter in digital domain (timing errors) and to group delay disorder in analog domain. In fact, we should always consider the time domain for dynamic signals (like music) and not only the harmonic domain for static measurement signals...
Old 16th February 2020, 04:23 PM   #169
HpW is offline HpW
diyAudio Member

Back to the main OPA1656 thread...

Is there any Spice model to simulate the channel cross talk of this dual OP-AMP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc124 View Post
Single OPA1655: They're working on it! Stay tuned.
Do you (TI) plan to provide any metal TO-99 case too?

Hp
Old 16th February 2020, 08:07 PM   #170
johnc124 is offline johnc124  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HpW View Post
Back to the main OPA1656 thread...

Is there any Spice model to simulate the channel cross talk of this dual OP-AMP?

Do you (TI) plan to provide any metal TO-99 case too?

Hp
Spice models almost never include crosstalk and most often the model for the single/dual/quad versions of an op amp are the same unless there is a significant parametric difference between the variants. You could probably duplicate the effects with a passive component network outside of the op amp macromodel.

At audio frequencies I normally see the internal crosstalk of an op amp totally swamped by power supply effects or the impedance of the ground plane on the PCB. On headphone amplifiers its always the shared ground contact in the headphone jack which usually limits crosstalk between the left and right channels to about -70dB. The good thing is that you don't listen to speakers at home with a wall running down the center of your room right up to your face...

It's not really my call, but I can say with almost absolute certainty that there will not be a TO-99 package of this device. The economics of that would not make any sense. The only way I could see that happening is if an outside company wanted to make that product, we'd love to sell them bare die and let them do the packaging.

OPA1656: High-Performance CMOS Audio Op AmpHide this!Advertise here!