Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Updating a classic: BUF634A
Updating a classic: BUF634A
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2019, 01:32 PM   #11
johnc124 is offline johnc124  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Sounds like a cool project Jan, I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

I agree on BUF634 being neglected. I was pretty excited to have the opportunity to refresh that device on a modern process and if the market traction is good I have some ideas for follow-on devices in this space.
__________________
Product Line Manager - Texas Instruments High Speed Amplifiers
OPA2834: Low-Distortion, Wide-bandwidth, 170uA per channel http://www.ti.com/product/OPA2834
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2019, 03:02 PM   #12
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Connecticut
Updating a classic: BUF634A
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc124 View Post
Sounds like a cool project Jan, I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

I agree on BUF634 being neglected. I was pretty excited to have the opportunity to refresh that device on a modern process and if the market traction is good I have some ideas for follow-on devices in this space.
In the original BUF634 datasheet there was noticeable peaking in the frequency response in the wide bandwidth mode, even with no capacitive load. Is the new version similar or better in that regard? Just wondering if it can get away without a series output resistor in the same situations the original could for the most part.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2019, 03:20 PM   #13
johnc124 is offline johnc124  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
In the original BUF634 datasheet there was noticeable peaking in the frequency response in the wide bandwidth mode, even with no capacitive load. Is the new version similar or better in that regard? Just wondering if it can get away without a series output resistor in the same situations the original could for the most part.
I would still expect some peaking in the frequency response in high bandwidth mode. Since this is an emitter follower output, high impedance or inductive loads tend to cause peaking rather than capacitive loads.

With regards to your second question, if the original didn't require a series output resistor, I would not expect the new one to.
__________________
Product Line Manager - Texas Instruments High Speed Amplifiers
OPA2834: Low-Distortion, Wide-bandwidth, 170uA per channel http://www.ti.com/product/OPA2834
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 01:18 PM   #14
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
jan.didden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Westende Resort, BE coast
John, when do you think samples would be available at TI?

Jan
__________________
Cable: a potential source of trouble interconnecting two other potential sources of trouble - Erik Margan
Linear Audio pubs and articles . The SilentSwitcher now at diyaudio store SilentSwitcher. Keeping in touch with SY.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 01:51 PM   #15
johnc124 is offline johnc124  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
John, when do you think samples would be available at TI?

Jan
Jan, you should be able to get samples of the XBUF634A right now

http://www.ti.com/product/BUF634A/samplebuy

Please let me know if you are having trouble and I will look into it.

The "X" in XBUF634A just indicates that these are pre-release devices. There will be no change to the production release device coming in a month or two.
__________________
Product Line Manager - Texas Instruments High Speed Amplifiers
OPA2834: Low-Distortion, Wide-bandwidth, 170uA per channel http://www.ti.com/product/OPA2834
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 03:58 PM   #16
Idiosyncrasy is offline Idiosyncrasy  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
That's good news John! I'm just waiting for PCB delivery on a composite with an AD797 (sorry...) and a BUF634, both SOIC, on a standard DIL08 footprint/socket.
Hi Jan, have you posted a schematic on the forum by any chance?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 06:59 PM   #17
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
jan.didden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Westende Resort, BE coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiosyncrasy View Post
Hi Jan, have you posted a schematic on the forum by any chance?
No, not yet, still need to see that it works as advertised (it did on the breadboard, but you never know ... ;-)

Jan
__________________
Cable: a potential source of trouble interconnecting two other potential sources of trouble - Erik Margan
Linear Audio pubs and articles . The SilentSwitcher now at diyaudio store SilentSwitcher. Keeping in touch with SY.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 07:00 PM   #18
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
jan.didden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Westende Resort, BE coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc124 View Post
Jan, you should be able to get samples of the XBUF634A right now

http://www.ti.com/product/BUF634A/samplebuy

Please let me know if you are having trouble and I will look into it.

The "X" in XBUF634A just indicates that these are pre-release devices. There will be no change to the production release device coming in a month or two.
Yes, worked, did have to sign the 'don't complain - it's a preproduction' thing. Fine with me! I'm sure it will be fully functional.

Jan
__________________
Cable: a potential source of trouble interconnecting two other potential sources of trouble - Erik Margan
Linear Audio pubs and articles . The SilentSwitcher now at diyaudio store SilentSwitcher. Keeping in touch with SY.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 05:53 PM   #19
johnc124 is offline johnc124  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
Yes, worked, did have to sign the 'don't complain - it's a preproduction' thing. Fine with me! I'm sure it will be fully functional.

Jan
We'll try to make sure there is silicon in the package before we ship it
__________________
Product Line Manager - Texas Instruments High Speed Amplifiers
OPA2834: Low-Distortion, Wide-bandwidth, 170uA per channel http://www.ti.com/product/OPA2834
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 06:00 PM   #20
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
jan.didden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Westende Resort, BE coast
Cool!
__________________
Cable: a potential source of trouble interconnecting two other potential sources of trouble - Erik Margan
Linear Audio pubs and articles . The SilentSwitcher now at diyaudio store SilentSwitcher. Keeping in touch with SY.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Updating a classic: BUF634AHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audio Nirvana Classic 12 and Classic 15: how new are these? chazdrumzalot Full Range 84 15th June 2019 12:28 PM
Stop Your PC updating to W10 Zero D The Lounge 16 16th December 2015 11:48 PM
need some advice on updating this one paba Tubes / Valves 5 10th March 2015 12:35 AM
updating crossover resistors, but which ones? ringo_the_hifi Multi-Way 5 16th August 2012 09:31 PM
Updating Onkyo DX-706? Henrik Digital Source 39 21st May 2012 08:13 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 14.29%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2019 diyAudio
Wiki