Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

PecanPi -- Next Generation Raspberry Pi DAC and Streamer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2019, 05:31 PM   #31
poseidonsvoice is offline poseidonsvoice  United States
diyAudio Member

soundcheck,

If it wasn't clear, here are the final conclusions and to be clear the original problem with channel imbalance the author had was solved with a new modern version of the RPi:

Quote:
Earlier in the review, I stated this Pecan pi was drier in presentation and I still think that, but when I swapped back to the Allo Boss and played the same tracks, I was really surprised at what happened. The Allo Boss sounded a little pedestrian in comparison. The Pecan has excellent dynamics. Where the PP is vibrant lively and energetic, the Allo Boss wasnít ďasĒ lively or energetic. Transparency also went the way of the Pecan, in fact, in all areas, the Pecan was a step ahead of the Allo Boss 1.2, except for tonality and channel balance. The Boss is slightly richer in tone which I feel creates a more realistic quality. If I am 100% honest, that is the only slight I can aim at the PP. That said, I believe that itís a personal preference and couldnít fault the PP for itís performance or tone based on that.

The Allo Boss is a bass monster and the PP is happy to oblige with weight and heft when needed. I think the Allo Boss is slightly weightier but itís no choice for me, the PP won there too. Not for amount of bass but quality of bass. It certainly wasnít lacking. Fluidity and solidity really give a great foundation to the sound. Excellent instrument separation too. When reverting to the Allo Boss, the brilliance of the PP became apparent by more of an obvious margin. It can create a vivid 3D soundstage and there was never and mush or ďbusyĒ sound to it. I was severely impressed by this. In fact, when presented with a tricky track like Rebel yell, it entranced and pulled you in to paying attention, far more than the Boss did.

This unit has provided about 20 hours of listening I have been utterly gob-smacked at times with the clarity, transparency and imaging. It is a great listen and going forward, I can only say, if you are after a reasonably priced Pi setup, I am yet to hear better than this in the digital realm. A well priced, one box solution for streaming that performs superbly. If the niggles I have mentioned above can be sorted out, Leo will do very well out of this product because it sounds fantastic.
With excellent measurements to boot I think Leo has a winner.

Best,
Anand.
Old 14th May 2019, 05:33 PM   #32
stellarelephant is offline stellarelephant  United States
diyAudio Member

No doubt. ApplePi was superior to Boss in my system.
Old 14th May 2019, 06:01 PM   #33
soundcheck is offline soundcheck  Germany
diyAudio Member

1. The Boss @65$ would a different league anyhow
2. The Katana or Ians 9038 DAC would be the ones to be challenged

3. Winning against a Squeezebox Touch - as stated in another review - is not what I'd call relevant - at least to me.

What I read from that PP vs. Boss review:

Code:
The Boss is slightly richer in tone which I feel creates a more realistic quality...
Code:
The Allo Boss is a bass monster...
That tells me something.

And yep. It's just the 65$ Boss. Run the Boss properly set - please no ""audiophile"" Volumio - feeding properly upsampled 384/352k8 material to bypass the internal DSP and an isolator HAT the game probably gets even closer.

However. I do not doubt that you developed a quality product.

Good luck with your product.

Enjoy.
Old 14th May 2019, 06:07 PM   #34
orchardaudio is offline orchardaudio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post

What I read from that PP vs. Boss review:

Code:
The Boss is slightly richer in tone which I feel creates a more realistic quality...
Code:
The Allo Boss is a bass monster...
That tells me something.

And yep. It's just the 65$ Boss. Run the Boss properly set - please no ""audiophile"" Volumio - feeding properly upsampled 384/352k8 material to bypass the internal DSP and an isolator HAT the game probably gets even closer.

Enjoy.
Those two were his initial impressions and if you read the summary he elaborates and essentially takes back those two statements.

Also the way he has his Boss configured with dual linear PSUs and other items the total cost is much higher than $65:
Code:
Great point Jim. I spent around £300 getting the Boss to its level 
and for a few extra quid (whilst on preorder) the PecanPi is a step ahead.

Last edited by orchardaudio; 14th May 2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 14th May 2019, 06:36 PM   #35
LinuxGeek is offline LinuxGeek  Germany
diyAudio Member

The BOSS is a PCM5122. This DAC is nice for very simple setups, but it lacks any kind of stage and the instruments are seperated very bad. It is not important which kind of PSU, PCM5122 still stays a very cheap and easy to implement DAC that is not meant for highend...
Old 15th May 2019, 07:31 AM   #36
soundcheck is offline soundcheck  Germany
diyAudio Member

I actually intended to let it go.

However. It starts getting funny.
I didn't realize at first all this is potentially supposed to be a self-flattery campaign thread for backers only.

Fact is, the PP DAC is listed at 299$. Just the DAC board! That's a factor 433% over the Boss board (2015/16?). It's even more expensive then the Allo Katana(2018).
A Squeezebox Touch - the other "nice reference" - was taken out of sales around 2011, if I recall it correctly. Of course the SBT was never intended to be "UltraFi". We also shouldn't forget. Logitech was providing their own software. No they were not 100% piggybacking on other peoples endless and highly valuable hours of FoC SW work to get their device going.

Now feeling intrigued to understand what's happening here, I looked up the PP web page:

Ah. OK. Got it.

My favorites:

Quote:
Ultra-high fidelity, plug and play, ready to go, wireless high resolution music streamer Ultra-high fidelity, plug and play, ready to go, wireless high resolution music streamer.
1. Ultra High fidelity? Wow. A standard opamp output and an of-the-shelf DAC...
The backers will love it. And all that at a 25% discount right now. Folks. Hurry up! It might be your last chance!

2. Plug'n play !?!? I'm wondering if DIY-Audio is really the right place to start marketing your fully finished UltraFi product.

Some more good ones to be found on that page:

Quote:
Studio-quality sound can be enjoyed in a home environment. Enjoy pure music without any coloration from the electronics. Hear the music exactly the way it was heard in the studio, and exactly the way the artists intended.
The studios didn't have your UltraFi device. How in the world could they hear what you or your potential customers hear while mixing the tracks!?!?
What studios are u talking about !?!?

"No colorations.." It's still a chain of electronics after all. You have no clue
what chain people will have running and for sure you can't make promises about what they gonna hear.

"...the artists intended..."

In other words it could sound like this:

""Dear backers.
While listening to this out-of-a-different-world 299$ device,
you'll meet the performing artist, his art, his intentions, his devotion. You'll never get closer again. Don't miss it. Buy now to believe (at 25% less) !""

Quote:
PecanPi Steamer's high precision and high resolution gives you the best sound experience for any audio playback..
"The best sound, for any audio playback..." (emoji: take-a-deep-breath) and all that at 299 (at 25% off right now - please hurry!)

Wow and Wow.
Havn't read such a , not sure how to call it , for quite some time.

And all that is really sad. Because I think the DAC is probably not that bad after all.

Orchard Audio. Don't forget. You put yourself into that corner! Don't blame me for lifting the mirror. Cut it down a little, revise your marketing strategy, and try to understand the meaning behind "being humble" - at least a tiny bit.

Good luck.
Old 15th May 2019, 06:35 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Preorder pricing end on May 31st.

When you preorder you are entered into a raffle to win my company’s next product - pair of 100W monoblock amps.

Shop | Orchard Audio
Old 15th May 2019, 10:03 PM   #38
ktham is offline ktham  Canada
diyAudio Member

@soundcheck,

Why is it that you feel compelled to ridicule the efforts of the posters/vendors on this forum?
You have already been politely asked, by others, to cease and desist with this behaviour on other products and posts on this forum and I will not mention them here to save any embarrassment.

I have ordered a Pecan Pi. Wonder what does that make me in view of your critical observations on the product testing and reviews?
My money, my time...
Old 16th May 2019, 09:44 AM   #39
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
...Dear backers.
While listening to this out-of-a-different-world 299$ device,
you'll meet the performing artist, his art, his intentions, his devotion. You'll never get closer again. Don't miss it. Buy now to believe (at 25% less) !""
ROFL! Brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktham View Post
@soundcheck,
Why is it that you feel compelled to ridicule the efforts of the posters/vendors on this forum?
soundcheck explained it pretty well in his post, and I see nothing wrong with that post. I feel he did a pretty good attempt at translating some of the funny advertising language!

In fact, for me, the "ridicule issue" is the other way round. I feel ridiculed from reading such advertisement language. "Translations" such as those proposed by soundcheck are entertaining to me, not ridiculing. Yes, I might be a nerd.
Old 16th May 2019, 05:42 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchardaudio View Post
When you preorder you are entered into a raffle to win my companyís next product - pair of 100W monoblock amps.
Preliminary Amp Specs:
* SNR: ~120dB
* THD: <0.0008%
* Frequency Response: DC - >25kHz
* Power: 100W into 8Ω
* Fully Balanced Input and Output

PecanPi -- Next Generation Raspberry Pi DAC and StreamerHide this!Advertise here!