• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

PecanPi -- Next Generation Raspberry Pi DAC and Streamer

So the SRC is used only for volume control and "reclocking" ? Or do you upsample the signal and optimize your DAC for a certain frequency/bitdepth ?
BTW proper reclocking is not just feeding the SRC with a signal full of jitter. The SRC is less jitter dependant than the PCM1794, but it still suffers from the bad i2s signal of the pi. An FPGA impementation WITH flipflops would be the way.
Could you plz write a driver to use the hw volume control directly from the pi. This would make the system more usable, i am not going to stand up and go to the streamer every time i need to change volume. Or didnt you connect the SRC i2c to the Pi ? If you did, i can write the driver by myself, hope its connected.

So the SRC is used only for volume control and "reclocking" ? Or do you upsample the signal and optimize your DAC for a certain frequency/bitdepth ?
BTW proper reclocking is not just feeding the SRC with a signal full of jitter. The SRC is less jitter dependant than the PCM1794, but it still suffers from the bad i2s signal of the pi. An FPGA impementation WITH flipflops would be the way.
Could you plz write a driver to use the hw volume control directly from the pi. This would make the system more usable, i am not going to stand up and go to the streamer every time i need to change volume. Or didnt you connect the SRC i2c to the Pi ? If you did, i can write the driver by myself, hope its connected.

The SRC4193 only does up sampling for 44.1, 88.2 and 176.4khz. It up samples them to 48, 96 and 192 respectively. If the signal is already 48, 96, or 192 than no up sampling is performed.

The SRC4193 actually does an excellent job at removing jitter that is incoming form the Rpi, please look at the jitter and noise spectrum in the attached image. (256k point FFT with 16 averages) This is because it the SRC4193 reclocks everything to the master clock generated by the Crystek oscillator.

Volume control using the knob is optional, and you can still use volume control using what ever software package you decide to use. To this this you turn the knob fully clockwise and the volume control on the SRC4193 will be disabled.

Attachments

• Jitter (XLR).JPG
    Jitter (XLR).JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:
Another great review:
PecanPi DAC/Streamer from Orchard Audio - The Audiophile Man

"I then played Looking for a Home, two guys and two guitars or, more accurately, Kevin Greeninger & Dayan Kai at 24bit/192kHz. The string manipulation from the guitars was impressive as was the silence sitting behind the pair: the contrast set up a soundstage heavy with emotion from this serious song. The sense of clarity was also excellent as the PecanPi took advantage of the superior sound source file while the imagery that set the singers and their instruments on the soundstage was excellent. Even the bass-infused foot stomps from the guys, keeping a beat, were easily heard here. The sense of tonal balance allowed me to increase the gain without having my ears bitten off."

and

"If anything, DSD output (despite the non-native processing) was the most impressive file output across the entire sound test as inherent noise was very low. Small and subtle details were able to flow easily from the rear of the mix and the 3D structure around the stereo image added layers and a busy, almost market square feel to the song which seemed packed with people and instruments. A party atmosphere, if you will. Harmonicas here, acoustic guitars there, an accordion, mandolin, 57 varieties of percussion but throughout the PecanPi allowed this detail to reach the ear unimpeded."

and

"The PecanPi sits within an attractive price point and at that price it offers plenty: impressive sonic abilities being top of the list. Specifically, an attractive blend of dynamic force, rich imagery and layered detail. A bit of a bargain, then."

soundcheck,

If it wasn't clear, here are the final conclusions and to be clear the original problem with channel imbalance the author had was solved with a new modern version of the RPi:

Earlier in the review, I stated this Pecan pi was drier in presentation and I still think that, but when I swapped back to the Allo Boss and played the same tracks, I was really surprised at what happened. The Allo Boss sounded a little pedestrian in comparison. The Pecan has excellent dynamics. Where the PP is vibrant lively and energetic, the Allo Boss wasn’t “as” lively or energetic. Transparency also went the way of the Pecan, in fact, in all areas, the Pecan was a step ahead of the Allo Boss 1.2, except for tonality and channel balance. The Boss is slightly richer in tone which I feel creates a more realistic quality. If I am 100% honest, that is the only slight I can aim at the PP. That said, I believe that it’s a personal preference and couldn’t fault the PP for it’s performance or tone based on that.

The Allo Boss is a bass monster and the PP is happy to oblige with weight and heft when needed. I think the Allo Boss is slightly weightier but it’s no choice for me, the PP won there too. Not for amount of bass but quality of bass. It certainly wasn’t lacking. Fluidity and solidity really give a great foundation to the sound. Excellent instrument separation too. When reverting to the Allo Boss, the brilliance of the PP became apparent by more of an obvious margin. It can create a vivid 3D soundstage and there was never and mush or “busy” sound to it. I was severely impressed by this. In fact, when presented with a tricky track like Rebel yell, it entranced and pulled you in to paying attention, far more than the Boss did.

This unit has provided about 20 hours of listening I have been utterly gob-smacked at times with the clarity, transparency and imaging. It is a great listen and going forward, I can only say, if you are after a reasonably priced Pi setup, I am yet to hear better than this in the digital realm. A well priced, one box solution for streaming that performs superbly. If the niggles I have mentioned above can be sorted out, Leo will do very well out of this product because it sounds fantastic.

With excellent measurements to boot I think Leo has a winner.

Best,
Anand.

1. The Boss @65$ would a different league anyhow
2. The Katana or Ians 9038 DAC would be the ones to be challenged

3. Winning against a Squeezebox Touch - as stated in another review - is not what I'd call relevant - at least to me.

What I read from that PP vs. Boss review:

Code:
The Boss is slightly richer in tone which I feel creates a more realistic quality...

Code:
The Allo Boss is a bass monster...

That tells me something.

And yep. It's just the 65$ Boss. Run the Boss properly set - please no ""audiophile"" Volumio - feeding properly upsampled 384/352k8 material to bypass the internal DSP and an isolator HAT the game probably gets even closer.

However. I do not doubt that you developed a quality product.

Good luck with your product.

Enjoy.

What I read from that PP vs. Boss review:

Code:
The Boss is slightly richer in tone which I feel creates a more realistic quality...

Code:
The Allo Boss is a bass monster...

That tells me something.

And yep. It's just the 65$ Boss. Run the Boss properly set - please no ""audiophile"" Volumio - feeding properly upsampled 384/352k8 material to bypass the internal DSP and an isolator HAT the game probably gets even closer.

Enjoy.

Those two were his initial impressions and if you read the summary he elaborates and essentially takes back those two statements.

Also the way he has his Boss configured with dual linear PSUs and other items the total cost is much higher than $65:
Code:
Great point Jim. I spent around £300 getting the Boss to its level 
and for a few extra quid (whilst on preorder) the PecanPi is a step ahead.

Last edited:
I actually intended to let it go.

However. It starts getting funny.
I didn't realize at first all this is potentially supposed to be a self-flattery campaign thread for backers only. :rolleyes:

Fact is, the PP DAC is listed at 299$. Just the DAC board! That's a factor 433% over the Boss board (2015/16?). It's even more expensive then the Allo Katana(2018).
A Squeezebox Touch - the other "nice reference" - was taken out of sales around 2011, if I recall it correctly. Of course the SBT was never intended to be "UltraFi". We also shouldn't forget. Logitech was providing their own software. No they were not 100% piggybacking on other peoples endless and highly valuable hours of FoC SW work to get their device going.

Now feeling intrigued to understand what's happening here, I looked up the PP web page:

:spin: Ah. OK. Got it.

My favorites:

Ultra-high fidelity, plug and play, ready to go, wireless high resolution music streamer Ultra-high fidelity, plug and play, ready to go, wireless high resolution music streamer.

1. Ultra High fidelity? :eek: Wow. A standard opamp output and an of-the-shelf DAC...
The backers will love it. And all that at a 25% discount right now. Folks. Hurry up! It might be your last chance!

2. Plug'n play !?!? I'm wondering if DIY-Audio is really the right place to start marketing your fully finished UltraFi product.

Some more good ones to be found on that page:

Studio-quality sound can be enjoyed in a home environment. Enjoy pure music without any coloration from the electronics. Hear the music exactly the way it was heard in the studio, and exactly the way the artists intended.

The studios didn't have your UltraFi device. How in the world could they hear what you or your potential customers hear while mixing the tracks!?!? :D
What studios are u talking about !?!?

"No colorations.." It's still a chain of electronics after all. You have no clue
what chain people will have running and for sure you can't make promises about what they gonna hear.

"...the artists intended..."

In other words it could sound like this:

""Dear backers.
While listening to this out-of-a-different-world 299$ device,
you'll meet the performing artist, his art, his intentions, his devotion. You'll never get closer again. Don't miss it. Buy now to believe (at 25% less) !""

PecanPi Steamer's high precision and high resolution gives you the best sound experience for any audio playback..

"The best sound, for any audio playback..." (emoji: take-a-deep-breath) and all that at 299 (at 25% off right now - please hurry!)

Wow and Wow.
Havn't read such a , not sure how to call it , for quite some time.

And all that is really sad. Because I think the DAC is probably not that bad after all.

Orchard Audio. Don't forget. You put yourself into that corner! Don't blame me for lifting the mirror. Cut it down a little, revise your marketing strategy, and try to understand the meaning behind "being humble" - at least a tiny bit.

Good luck.

@soundcheck,

Why is it that you feel compelled to ridicule the efforts of the posters/vendors on this forum?
You have already been politely asked, by others, to cease and desist with this behaviour on other products and posts on this forum and I will not mention them here to save any embarrassment.

I have ordered a Pecan Pi. Wonder what does that make me in view of your critical observations on the product testing and reviews?
My money, my time...

...Dear backers.
While listening to this out-of-a-different-world 299$ device,
you'll meet the performing artist, his art, his intentions, his devotion. You'll never get closer again. Don't miss it. Buy now to believe (at 25% less) !""

ROFL! Brilliant! :D

@soundcheck,
Why is it that you feel compelled to ridicule the efforts of the posters/vendors on this forum?

soundcheck explained it pretty well in his post, and I see nothing wrong with that post. I feel he did a pretty good attempt at translating some of the funny advertising language!

In fact, for me, the "ridicule issue" is the other way round. I feel ridiculed from reading such advertisement language. "Translations" such as those proposed by soundcheck are entertaining to me, not ridiculing. Yes, I might be a nerd.