• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Wavebourn Edeleweiss-3 power amplifiers, $800 MSRP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Input: 0 dB (0.775V) RCA, 50K stereo
Outputs: low ohm for 4-6 Ohm and high ohm, for 8-12 Ohm load.
Power: minimum 6W for <1% total harmonic distortions.
Soft asymmetric clipping, negative output resistance for damping of woofers.
Bandwidth: 10 Hz-90 KHz -3 dB, from 20 Hz full power.
Available versions with different output tubes:
EL34
5881/6П3С-Е
Raytheon VT127
4П10С
While prototypes are available I can ship them right away. After that, one month leading time for the production.
They are currently wired for 120V, can rewire for 220V in Europe.

Attachments

• IMG_5315.jpg
    IMG_5315.jpg
    787 KB · Views: 498
From a Facebook group:

"Review of the Edelweiss 3 Power Amp by Wavebourn

I first heard of the Edelweiss 3 power amp, by Wavebourn, on the Tube Rollers group, contacted Anatoliy Lisowskiy in person and purchased prototype one sight unseen. This amp has been shown with several different tube configurations. EL34, 5881/6?3?-?,Raytheon VT127, 4?10?. I will speak only on the EL34 version which I have, though by Anatoliy's own admission one of the other configurations might be a bit better. I chose the EL34 because it is a common tube with many choices, both NOS and new manufacture.
Upon unpacking you find the amp is solidly made and is deceptively small in size. Connectors are fine though I did find the female rca's were a tiny bit loose fitting compared to my other equipment but I had no issues with them coming off during the testing. You find 6 and 12 ohm taps for the speaker outputs, a power button that lights up, which I like a lot, and a trim knob to match up to your preamp, which I left wide open during all my testing. The rest of the equipment in the test rig is a custom built i5 Intel computer, USB 2.0 to a PSAudio Gain Cell DAC, then RCA to the Edelweiss. Speakers are the smallest speakers I have ever owned, Celestion Model A compacts (87db), which are placed a mere 36" apart, and my listening position is 27"s from each speaker.This is more like open air headphones than room filling stereo speakers. Yet this setup has yielded some of the finest details and imaging I have ever heard. You take virtually all the room acoustics out of the equation and provide a good baseline for initial performance tests. I had originally planned to test on my 4 Altec Lansing 825 cabinets with a single pair of 511 horns, but they are in need of some repair and will not provide an accurate account of the amps performance. I will say that a very large sound was produced for the 6 watts per channel, with better than average bass response. No, not as big as my SS amp at 155watts/channel like my Crown DC-300a. But smooth clean and controlled with what I did play before giving up on the Altecs as test speakers for now.
It is understandable why many tube amp owners tend towards the smooth jazz musical genre. It is often recorded very well with great stage and imaging. This amp puts Diana Krall right in the room with you with startling accuracy and on her latest album, Turn up the Quiet, they made a 24/192k version available which may be the finest recording I have or have ever had.The precision of the string bass as well as every other sound on it is reproduced excellently by the Edelweiss 3. That being said, many old favorites from the rock genre that have been recorded and processed to death are exposed for what they are by this amp and you find yourself looking for the EQ or other processor to smooth out some of the grit and terrible sound stage. Remember this is all digital source testing, with a very unforgiving DAC that does not lie or color the sound at all. If I had an upgraded cartridge for my Thorens TD125 MKII I would have used it as well for the review. But the very aged Stanton 681EEE is just not up to the task anymore and like the Altecs needs some attention. So digital it is. I am also a big Mozart fan. I love orchestral strings. I also love Rossinni for the same usage of strings as the main melody insrumentation. My test recordings were Deutsche Grammaphon from the early 60's of the Berlin Philharmonic. This amp gets from the lows of the big double bass all the way up to strings so high they put tears in your eyes. As long as you stay within the amps rated power the upper strings are pure and clean. When pushed too hard, even with the soft clipping feature designed into it you can hear a bit of distortion. Oddly enough, you do not hear the same distortion on the upper wind instruments like flute and piccolo. And it's completely masked on rock guitar and electronic music due to it's inherent distortion at the source. You effectively get more useable wattage as headroom in this design which is always welcome on a 6 watt amp.
Being a power amp, there is not much hands on or ergonomics to report. Once placed on your stand/shelf you will probably never touch it again unless tube rolling or other testing. This amp is absolutely silent with no signal present. No hum, buzz or other annoying artifacts at any trim knob setting or input source. I have used an NAD SS preamp, an xDuoo headphone amp/preamp and the Gain Cell DAC and not a peep out of the Edelweiss 3 other than musical content. And remember I am sitting 27"s from the speakers. Nothing hiding anywhere I do not hear.
As far as the tubes go, Anatoliy has made an amp that gets the absolute most out of the tubes and simply does not require some "soon to be gone with the wind" NOS specialty variety of EL34. The JJ's sound great. I also have rolled some new EL34 Mullards, PSVane, and Shuguang 6CA7t's. They all worked very well with only very minor changes in sonic character. Given a choice I would probably pick the Mullards overall, but the differences were so slight as to be unimportant to all but the most discerning listener. I think I would like to hear some of the other tube configurations the Edelweiss 3 offers. This amp is very interesting in that it uses a design of 3 nested feedback circuits to control distortion in such a way that the human ear does not detect it. You would need to speak to Anatoliy directly for the nitty gritty of these design features. He is readily available to discuss his products.
As I have already mentioned ,this amp is a prototype and a few improvements have been made for the newest production. One is the addition of an adjustment circuit for bias which is an adjustable fine tuning of the auto bias on the first model. This gives the user the ability to truly fine tune for virtually any tube you might want to try. I found my Mullards ran a bit too hot in the rolling tests. And I am a believer in bias having quite a bit of sonic effect and can truly help in the long life of the tube when set conservatively.
I think you will find that the Edelweiss 3 puts the "A" in Class A design and exceeded my expectations in this price bracket. I would certainly like to hear this amp on a much more efficient speaker system with a quality 8-12" woofer to take advantage of the designs improved woofer control and bass output over a standard class a design. Check out Wavebourn for more info and tested specs on the Edelweiss 3 and other Wavebourn products. >>> Doug Chandler"

Here is the video where I show a negative feedback. Wavebourn - Edelweiss-3 demo | Facebook

Oops...

Sorry for the typo. I mean, negative output resistance, contrary to the belief that SE amps have high output resistance and not good damping factor. I show that it is better than a SS amps with dozen of output transistors in parallel can provide.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.