• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Okto Research dac8 PRO and dac8 Stereo

Well, as it happens I have just received an email from Pavel. Hope he does mind that I share with all of you what seems to be a recognised problem.

The firmware revision 1.34 with the Okto DAC8Pro does not work under linux. OktoResearch team received the information that I sent to them and have just confirmed that. My preliminary data showed that malfunctioning.

Pavel also says there will be a new firmware version in two/three weeks.

Well, as it happens I have just received an email from Pavel. Hope he does mind that I share with all of you what seems to be a recognised problem.

The firmware revision 1.34 with the Okto DAC8Pro does not work under linux. OktoResearch team received the information that I sent to them and have just confirmed that. My preliminary data showed that malfunctioning.

Good to hear there is movement on the issue.

There needs to be some company sponsored "VERSION RELEASE NOTES/KNOWN VERSION ISSUES/WORK AROUNDS/VERSION BUG FIX" list somewhere. Customers could consult it and get their questions answered a lot quicker without having to get the same questions answered numerous times.

As for the new release, the "FLASH KIT" needs to also be released.

You are right about the flashing tool, I do not envision any tech reason they will not get it done easily.

If I were them, though, I would be very worry to allow such a tool in the hands of everyone. Flashing an XMOS is a process that if goes south, can brick your unit. That would require sending the hardware home for a proper flashing. Risky business I see there

cheers

Lindamar,

Any updates on a new "Linux Friendly" flash and flash kit ?

TIA

I am happy to report that I have received a pre-release version of the new 1.4 firmware revision. It seems to work well under linux :) . The official over-the-USB update package will be available at the OktoResearch website soon, according to Pavel.

My system is a Linux machine running HQplayer embedded. It doubles both as a player and as a crossover, with FIR filters (65536 taps) on all channels.

So those are the good news and I wanted to share them with you

I am happy to report that I have received a pre-release version of the new 1.4 firmware revision. It seems to work well under linux :) . The official over-the-USB update package will be available at the OktoResearch website soon, according to Pavel.

My system is a Linux machine running HQplayer embedded. It doubles both as a player and as a crossover, with FIR filters (65536 taps) on all channels.

Glad to hear you are up and running. You have had a long wait.

Hi,

if you are the same person who asked this question on ASR forum, I can confirm that brutefir plugin for Volumio (currently called "DSP plugin for Volumio") supports multichannel DACs, so you can have high-pass and low-pass filtering together with FIR filtering on each channel.

I will be happy to assist you how to configure what you're looking for as I was the one who helped creating this functionality within the plugin, but we never had the chance to test it.

Last edited:
Hey Pavel,

ASR mentioned in their review

Will you release a DAC 8 Pro incl. DSP?

FWIW, OR made a few DSP versions that used the miniDSP nanoSHARC board, but miniDSP deprecated the board in 2019 and is no longer producing it.

Legacy products

I don't know if OR is working on an alternative DSP version.

It would be great if the DAC8 PRO had a mic preamp input so that a single USB clock could be used for both input and output to make accurate FIR filters without random clock drift issues.

I have been trying the Audiolense demo program with a miniDSP USB UMIK-1 and the USB DAC8 PRO. Since both USB devices have their own clocks, there is random clock drifts causing inconsistent time measurements making it unusable for proper time alignment and phase correction calculations.

Last edited:
I did some research and found what you already wrote. Question is if i can order the DAC 8 Pro with RPi and nanoSharc preparation, because here in Germany dealers still have stock of nanosharcs.

/edit
Not new but used nanosharcs

If memory serves, the RPi/nanoSharc version was built around pre-production boards and cases that had different go-innies and go-outies and more interior space.

Maybe Pavel can chime in to what he has up his sleeve and if it is possible with the new production boards.

Old Pre-Production Case:

index.php

index.php

New Production Case (smaller case with extra AES3 inputs):

dac8pro_inside.jpg

Last edited:
I placed my order today and waiting for some answers from Okto. Looks like they changed the I/O board for 4xAES/EBU and theres no room for the RPi anymore. AES/EBU is also fine for inputs, but my Apple TV only have Audio by HDMI. I can get ATV Audio from my Epson Wireless Sender via Toslink, so i need a Toslink - AES/EBU Converter.

I placed my order today and waiting for some answers from Okto. Looks like they changed the I/O board for 4xAES/EBU and theres no room for the RPi anymore. AES/EBU is also fine for inputs, but my Apple TV only have Audio by HDMI. I can get ATV Audio from my Epson Wireless Sender via Toslink, so i need a Toslink - AES/EBU Converter.

Is this what you are looking for ?

http://www.canare.com/UploadedDocuments/110%CE%A9-75%CE%A9%20Digital%20Audio%20Impedance%20Transformers.pdf