• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Okto Research dac8 PRO and dac8 Stereo

What are you gaining by using the Minidsp U-DIO8? Wouldn't the direct USB be better? I assume that the USB on the DAC8 Pro board can handle 8 channels of audio, but it is not stated in the literature.

Got myself confused - Minidsp U-DIO8 doesn't do crossover duties, so that's not the way forward.

I would like to use MiniDSP as Linkwitz's original active crossover was created in MiniDSP, however MiniDSP don't offer anything with USB out. Looks like I'll be going direct USB to Okto 8 via Roon or JRiver convolution (Which I have no experience in!).

Got myself confused - Minidsp U-DIO8 doesn't do crossover duties, so that's not the way forward.

I would like to use MiniDSP as Linkwitz's original active crossover was created in MiniDSP, however MiniDSP don't offer anything with USB out. Looks like I'll be going direct USB to Okto 8 via Roon or JRiver convolution (Which I have no experience in!).
Acourate or Audiolense would be the way to go if you're going to use convolution.

Of course you can just use the filters in JRiver or Roon for free -- I've used the JRiver filters for an active crossover and I know it has Linkwitz-Riley filters (not sure off the top of my head what he used in the LX521). They work well and are free, but Acourate and Audiolense are far more powerful. You could always start with JRiver (or Roon -- I've never tired the filters in that) and then move on to Acourate or Audiolens later.

You can also use the Acourate convolver, which would allow you to put the XO after all of your audio sources so that you could choose from multiple sources. The alternative to that would be to use the WDM input on JRiver, but I've found that approach less than ideal.

In any case, I think these are better solutions than the MiniDSP would have been and doing it in JRiver is pretty easy.

I might well do USB direct, just depends if I can get convolver sorted or get someone to provide me with pre mapped files. The default crossover for LX521 was created in MiniDSP, hence U-DI08 is an option

Many thanks - seems as though Acourate convolver is the way to go.

If you can get access to the raw numbers for whatever cascade of filters is used per passband to form the target acoustic slope it should be simple fill in the same numbers into DSP engine of Jriver and get you up running. Should it be you only can get access to biquads or electric curves on a visual graph then its possible use free VituixCAD plus free Rephase to decode that stuff and create the raw filter numbers to fill into Jriver DSP engine. Should you prefer run them cascades of filters into the covolution engine of Jriver instead of the realtime DSP engine then set the filter numbers into free Rephase and output a "64 bits IEEE (wav)" impulse response file to load into Jriver covolution engine. Should you need help to for example decode biquads or electric curves on a graph give me a note via PM.

Using the Acourate route will guess give a pretty big workload before system is setup correctly and probably end be bit differently from how the original was configured, but what do i now just guessing here : )

If you can get access to the raw numbers for whatever cascade of filters is used per passband to form the target acoustic slope it should be simple fill in the same numbers into DSP engine of Jriver and get you up running. Should it be you only can get access to biquads or electric curves on a visual graph then its possible use free VituixCAD plus free Rephase to decode that stuff and create the raw filter numbers to fill into Jriver DSP engine. Should you prefer run them cascades of filters into the covolution engine of Jriver instead of the realtime DSP engine then set the filter numbers into free Rephase and output a "64 bits IEEE (wav)" impulse response file to load into Jriver covolution engine. Should you need help to for example decode biquads or electric curves on a graph give me a note via PM.

Using the Acourate route will guess give a pretty big workload before system is setup correctly and probably end be bit differently from how the original was configured, but what do i now just guessing here : )
Yep, Acourate is extremely powerful, but you don't need Acourate to generate crossover filters. Acourate is also a difficult program to master, but there are turnkey guides to doing crossovers, amazing customer support, and it's incredibly powerful in other regards. Audiolense is easier to use than Acourate, but apparently has some limitations and less customer support.

Is Okto Research still in business?

Is Okto Research still in business? I sent them an email a couple of days ago and have yet to hear a response. I was going to purchase their standard DAC8 since I eventually want to go surround sound but I had some questions about their stereo model and the lack of communication, the radio silence is worrisome. I definitely don’t want to get caught stuck with an unwarrantied product in my hands.

The DAC is 32-bit. I would assume it is in the digital domain, same as the master volume control.

This is what I guessed too. Shame, It doesn't have to be continuously variable, just selectable like in the ADI-2. I have HF compression drivers on an active system and analogue attenuation is preferable to reduce noise. (The ADI-2 is the first DAC I've owned that is practically silent!)
ADI-2 is superb but as I'm running active I need multiple units and the DAC 8 would be a neat solution!

This is what I guessed too. Shame, It doesn't have to be continuously variable, just selectable like in the ADI-2. I have HF compression drivers on an active system and analogue attenuation is preferable to reduce noise. (The ADI-2 is the first DAC I've owned that is practically silent!)
ADI-2 is superb but as I'm running active I need multiple units and the DAC 8 would be a neat solution!

At a time different output levels at initial order negotiations was user selectable up to a certain limit, if that still is the flexible case then you could calculate a optium lower level if those compression drivers are sensitive and then adjust the rest per digital channel, also guess adaptation is as simple as few SMD 0,1 or 1% resistors per channel so not so hard get resistor value numbers from Okto and diy or let a pro tecnician resolder those two channels down the road should it be prefered they output same level as the other six ones.