• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Okto Research dac8 PRO and dac8 Stereo

That is great news!!
Are these inputs directed directly to the DAC, or to the USB soundcard?
There is room for changes in our design, but our current intention is that it would be connected to the DAC only. Do you consider it important for a lot of users to be able to use the unit as an AES/EBU>USB interface too? I remember you mentioned using the computer for some DSP stuff earlier... however, we have a dedicated product containing a DSP (DAC8 DSP)... also that DSP computer could serve as a playback source too, avoinding the AES/EBU alltogether.

Another question.
The specificartion states "8x XLR balanced, 3.4V RMS differential (or per request)"
What are the available output voltages?
Up to 15.8Vrms theoretically, 15V rms with some safe margin. I've added that to the website too.

Okto research, are you aware of the ”ESS hump” mid-level IMD that seems to plauge a lot of ESS implementations, and did you adress it in some way in this design?
Okto Research converters does not suffer from that. The THD+N or IMD vs. output voltage measurement yelds almost a straight line with a very slight bend towards full-scale (due to the THD component).

Pavel

Last edited:
Thumbs up!
This requestable output voltage is very nice :) Could it even be different output voltage per channel? For example if I would want 2V on 4 channels and 9V on 4 channels? (I am using different kinds of amps for the woofers and the horns in my active 4-way speakers)

Last edited:
There is room for changes in our design, but our current intention is that it would be connected to the DAC only. Do you consider it important for a lot of users to be able to use the unit as an AES/EBU>USB interface too? I remember you mentioned using the computer for some DSP stuff earlier... however, we have a dedicated product containing a DSP (DAC8 DSP)... also that DSP computer could serve as a playback source too, avoinding the AES/EBU alltogether.
I would love to have the option to route the AES intput to the USB soundcad indeed!
I am currently working on a correction+streaming solution (rePhaseR) that requires some power and a x86 architecture...

Regarding these AES inputs, I suppose they all need to share the same clock? Or is there some sort of ASRC like in the UDIO8?
Lucid did something clever in the 88192, where you could choose to either sync to the first AES input (all inputs needed to be on the same clock), or to set an ASRC on each input individually.
http://www.symetrix.co/repository/88192_ug.pdf

Up to 15.8Vrms theoretically, 15V rms with some safe margin. I've added that to the website too.
25.7dBu!! That is some crazy level :D
Is there any drawback regarding THD, etc?
How do you set this level? Do you need to change SMD resistors, or would there be a way to calibrate it using a screwdriver or something?...

Out of curiosity, why did you settle on 3.4Vrms as a default instead of the more common 4Vrms for domestic devices?

Thumbs up!
This requestable output voltage is very nice :) Could it even be different output voltage per channel? For example if I would want 2V on 4 channels and 9V on 4 channels? (I am using different kinds of amps for the woofers and the horns in my active 4-way speakers)

It could be done, it may however, become inconvenient if you decided to change your amps in the future.

There are menu settings for individual attenuation of each channel (relative to the master volume). It is of course at the expense of dynamic range (which is 125dBA full-scale), but it is much more convenient.

I would love to have the option to route the AES intput to the USB soundcad indeed!
I am currently working on a correction+streaming solution (rePhaseR) that requires some power and a x86 architecture...

Still, you could use the DSP computer as a playback source too (or a DLNA endpoint, Roon endpoint, whatever).

Regarding these AES inputs, I suppose they all need to share the same clock? Or is there some sort of ASRC like in the UDIO8?

We decided to make the inputs run on the same clock, synced to the first one. It seems as a cleanest, simplest solution to us.

25.7dBu!! That is some crazy level :D
Is there any drawback regarding THD, etc?
How do you set this level? Do you need to change SMD resistors, or would there be a way to calibrate it using a screwdriver or something?...

There will definitely some THD penalty at the top end. I believe the sweet spot is between 3 and 8Vrms.

The analog gain of each channel is set with a pair of a very precise, thin-film resistors. It is thus not possible to adjust it in a simple way.

Out of curiosity, why did you settle on 3.4Vrms as a default instead of the more common 4Vrms for domestic devices?

No particular reason. Over time, we may settle on 4Vrms or other value that customers will be most interested in as a default.

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

:)
Nice results for sure!

Two feature requests (as I plan on being a customer soon :D) :
- could it be possible to route any of the 4 stereo pairs to the headphone output via the menu? That would be very useful for checking outputs in an active crossover scenario (or even a 7.1 one for that matter).

- Making 4Vrms the default output would probably be a good choice, to match existing DACs. This can also be an important point for subjective reviewers, as a higher level usually translate into a "better" subjective feeling...

Last edited:
What a pleasure read ASR review that pushes to limits of analyzer, first class work there : )

Myself is in same boat as pos and Rajapuk and would love one input to USB sound card so that OS will se 1 stereo input and 8 channels of output, pos request AES input but will also be nice one could optional order ADC in front there. To explain usecase here or lets say dream usecase in this objective DAC8 wonder is have JRiver as multiway speaker DSP locked at 192kHz, JRiver engine is running 64bit deep and it looks into a 32bit deep ASIO USB interface, then one can massage a high performance accoustic passband way up above 20kHz because DSP is at locked relative high rate and if input is ADC then its up to DAC that feed system to be true to native track material rates and filters. Know there is some pro interfaces out there but they lack consumer or configurable voltage levels and also who has seen a independant review reveal objective graphs.

By the way sleep well in Prague tonigh : )

Attachments

• 1000.png
    1000.png
    217.3 KB · Views: 737
Best thing would be to have the option to route the 8 inputs together either to the USB soundcard or directly to the DAC.
That way you could even have a software source selector by selecting a given AES3 stereo input in your crossover software (that is something I am currently using a lot in my rePhaseR crossover implementation with the UDIO8).

Hello everyone!

- could it be possible to route any of the 4 stereo pairs to the headphone output via the menu? That would be very useful for checking outputs in an active crossover scenario (or even a 7.1 one for that matter).
Unfortunately, no. The headphone amplifier is hardwired to CH1&2.

- Making 4Vrms the default output would probably be a good choice, to match existing DACs. This can also be an important point for subjective reviewers, as a higher level usually translate into a "better" subjective feeling...
We decided to make 4Vrms the default value.

There could be a pair of removable rack ears that the end user could choose to install.
And there will! Just need to update the website.

By the way sleep well in Prague tonigh : )
I actually had a few sleepless nights. But thanks :).

My requests: 4Vrms output, black faceplate and model name on the face would be nice too.
We decided to make an option for black faceplate! Please specify that (and the voltage) in the order note. No model name on face panel, though. Making them identical for all models is helping us to keep the cost down.

Very interesting products, congrats!
Any chance of SE as well as XLR outputs for stereo version?
No, sorry. Using SE signal paths between multiple devices does inevitably degrade the real-word performance since any electromagnetic interference will cause a current to flow through the shield conductor (creating a voltage drop), which in case of SE also happens to be one signal lead.

Is the IR input speaking with the Raspberry pi inside, or is it for the DAC board only? Im thinking like play/pause and skip commands :)
The IR is for DAC only. You still have to use a smartphone/tablet to choose songs etc.

Unfortunately I need more power than what a Rpi can offer.
How about Intel NUC or other x86 options?

Spoiler alert.... . Stellar review @audioscience review. Congratulations!
Thanks!

Myself is in same boat as pos and Rajapuk and would love one input to USB sound card so that OS will se 1 stereo input and 8 channels of output, pos request AES input but will also be nice one could optional order ADC in front there.

Best thing would be to have the option to route the 8 inputs together either to the USB soundcard or directly to the DAC.
The timeline to finalize the design is quickly approaching. I cannot promise on that. The intention with DAC8 is to make a very good D/A converter, not a universal interface.

I would love to see 1kHz THD measurements for the different output level options (3.4V to 15V, lets say 3.4V, 4V, 7V, 10V, 12V, 15V).
We will try to obtain them when there is some spare time. As I mentioned, not much difference expected until the top end.

Kindest regards,
Pavel

Unfortunately, no. The headphone amplifier is hardwired to CH1&2.
That is quite understandable.

How about Intel NUC or other x86 options?
Yes, that is the kind of platform I am using (Intel J4205). Are you planning on integrating something like that in a DAC8? Not sure that would be a god idea as these platforms are evolving/obsolescing much faster than DAC technologies.

The timeline to finalize the design is quickly approaching. I cannot promise on that. The intention with DAC8 is to make a very good D/A converter, not a universal interface.
(about an AES in to USB path)
I understand, but that mean I will have to use a second USB soudcard to handle inputs... Any hope of seeing a firmware update addressing this in the future?

We will try to obtain them when there is some spare time. As I mentioned, not much difference expected until the top end.
Nice, thank you.
I think 7Vrms/19.1dBu would be a good option, and help preserve a bit more of that tremendous dynamic range downstream.

When you say "top end" I suppose you mean V, not Hz?