• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ncore modules in my new amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This isn't strictly DIY, it started life like that and hopefully it can power some DIY projects, especially active speakers in the future.

As a professional speaker builder this journey started a couple of years ago. From time to time customers ask me to include a plate amp in my speakers instead of just binding posts. I've long been a user of Hypex modules for my own projects, starting back with the UCD modules and latterly the NC500 modules so their plate amps were the obvious choice, the latest Fusion models have been awesome!!

Anyway, supplying those modules meant being an OEM and having access to Hypex' OEM only catalogue. The latest N-core modules looked to tempting to not do something for myself with so I set out designing a PCB to do house keeping and to house the connectors, here are the renders of Mk1

5a6ef1ee36ea7_capsnresfront.png.890f1525627aca712f1a6a5aa06cc3a6.png

5a6ef1efb6bc2_MPCUfront.png.385baba473a5e47a7a797b184084f50c.png

5a6ef1f173477_MPCUtop.png.7907d13dfee07343d869597cdafc44d1.png

The modules give feedback about the state of the power, temperature, clipping and DC detection as well as providing for mute and shutdown. I wanted the board to be able to take full advantage of that feed back and I wanted to be able to provide myself with a simple user interface and the ability to populate up to 8 channels with any of the boards in the range. I also wanted to be able to use balanced or single ended without any switches in the signal path. Eventually I decided that all of this could be accomplished using an AtMega 16u microprocessor and some custom software. I designed the board and my lovely brother in law wrote me some software. We managed to provide some extra functionality with a few spare pins too, so the end result had 12V triggers (properly isolated), start-up sequencing and intelligent cooling (isolated again) with some big *** near silent PC fans.

As part of my speaker building business people are always asking what amps to use so I started thinking I should just make these available. Most of the n-core amps out there are either very expensive or lacking in functionality so I wanted to make something available that the DIYer would build themselves if they could buy the OEM modules (which you obviously can't) at the sort of prices that it would cost if you were able to build one for yourself. As I already have a direct sales website and customer base through Mark Audio drivers and flat pack speaker kits that part should be easy enough in the future. The next part of the jigsaw is making sure I can sell enough initially to get the parts in bulk and lower the risk, this is where any idea of a profit would come from - no multi-buy opportunity, no profit involved so no amplifier for sale. With that in mind I decided to make a Kick-starter campaign, If I can get 10 sold by the end of the campaign, I know its a goer moving forward, if not they I'll forget about it. It'll allow me to buy a few bits in bulk and get the certifications, shipping boxes and inserts etc sorted out.

Its a bit cheeky but if any of you have ever wanted a flexible (multi-channel) N-core box at DIY sorts of prices for your speaker projects then head over to the Kick-starter page to have a look at the video and specs etc.

MA-01 the affordable muliti-channel Hypex N-core Amplifier by Stefan Whatcott —Kickstarter
Stefan

Last edited:
A week to go so if you are thinking about backing this project, you've not got long left!

I was asked a few questions over at Kickstarter, so thought I answer them over here as well. If anyone is thinking of getting new amp with N-Cores in any time soon, I've only got till the 11th January to get this over the line at Kickstarter, if I can't i'm afraid it's a dead duck.

If I get a multi-channel version do I need to have a source and speakers into all the channels?
No not at all, you can use an 8 channel amp as a 2 channel amp if you want. There is no need to have either a signal or a speaker plugged into any of the channels.

Are more models available and how can I get one?
• Yes there are, each amplifier has 4 slots which you can populate with any of the following modules.
• 125 W stereo modules (making up to 8 channels across 4 slots)
• 125 W mono modules (making up to 4 channels across 4 slots)
• 250 W stereo modules (making up to 8 channels across 4 slots)
• 250 W mono modules (making up to 4 channels across 4 slots)
• 500 W stereo modules (making up to 6 channels across 3 slots)
• 500 W mono modules (making up to 4 channels across 4 slots)
• 100 W mono tweeter modules
The tweeter modules are powered as daughter boards by the above parent modules, you can use 1 per parent module and a pair takes up one slot in your amplifier.

I’ll list some of the configurations in the rewards I think will be most popular, if you need a different configuration or the rewards are sold out already you can message me using the Kickstarter message system and I can add you configuration to the rewards section for you to
pledge to.

Alternatively, some of the configurations listed in the rewards will not have all the slots populated so feel free to order the closest to your needs and we can add your extra modules later.

Some manufacturers provide the ability to change the op-amps in the input stage of the amplifiers to change or ‘improve’ the sound, do you?

These latest N-Core modules have got a buffer already built in, Bruno Putzney (N-Core designer) is one of the most talented audio designers on the planet so I’m pretty sure he’s got this well sorted in these modules. Most of these off-board buffers use op-amps which must exist in a circuit that is designed and optimised for that op-amp. Op-amp 'rolling' should be discouraged, as putting a supposedly high performing op-amp into a circuit not designed for it can cause oscillations in the circuit that will cause non-linearity further down the line. I don’t provide this functionality, I want to make amplifiers that are unconditionally stable into all loads.

Can I have a black instead of silver front panel?

Yes you can! I'll contact all the backers at the end to find out your preferences.

Can I have a back panel with Neutrik speakon connectors instead of the binding posts?

My original answer was yes but you will have to pay the extra costs involved. I've been back to my case supplier and actually I can do this alternative back panel at no extra cost. The answer is now an unequivocal YES! This is great news for those of you who keep your equipment in a rack or just prefer these great connectors. I'll contact all the backers at the end to find out your preferences.

I was asked why a potential backer shouldn't just buy a Nord or Apollon amplifier or one of the other similar looking NC boxes out there.

There are 2 big differences. Firstly it is very flexible, it allows a user to return to base to have modules added or swapped without having to completely rebuild the whole amplifier. The ability to cater for every configuration is built into both the case and the control board. This ability for the control board and the case to cater for this means that each build is not only a custom build but at the same time it is able to be built with production line ease. The problem with most 'custom' builds is that they end up looking a little DIY in their execution. I wanted to get away from that feeling while still being able to offer full customisation.

The second major point of difference is the control board, it allows the amplifier modules to communicate to the user things like DC detection, temperature, clip, error shutdown etc. It controls start-up sequence to stop fuses blowing on power up and 12V triggers can be implemented as standard. It also provides for intelligent cooling which neither of the others do. Class D amps are obviously very efficient but pulling 6 x 500 Watts from the mains still potentially generates a lot of heat if those amps are being pushed to those limits. In this design a pair of large and essentially silent fans can be pressed into service should things get a little warm, under most domestic listening circumstances or course they don't. Even the very high end Ncore based offerings don't offer well thought out cooling.

As you noticed Apollon and Nord also use the same off the shelf cases in an effort to keep the costs down so a similar look is inevitable as is the question you pose. I'm pretty happy that my version is much more flexible and offers greater functionality to the user at similar prices though.

Stefan

The stereo 500 watt amplifier looks like a screaming deal at $1300 when you price out a pair of NC400 modules at 325 Euros each and a single SMPS1200A400 or SMPS600N400 power supply at 180 Euros, for a total of 830 Euros or about $950 US. That's before the case, connectors, AC inlet, switching, and wiring, mind you, all of which could run two or three hundred easily. Soon as my question to KJF is answered I'm in.

I'll repeat it here for grins & giggles:
You mentioned the back panel could have Neutriks. My plan has each channel sporting two 4-pole Neutriks wired in parallel for subwoofers and one 8-pole Neutrik for the low-mid/upper-mid/tweeter section to avoid inadvertent misconnection (nothing like waving goodbye to a dome as it goes sailing across the room). If having those drilled would be difficult I could always install them myself on a blank back panel since I've the necessary hole punches.

This also implies eight channels of amplification: would it be possible to have a setup of 500/250/250/250? 250 watts for each tweeter is silly, admittedly, but they will have hefty series resistors to more or less simulate a constant current source.​

I'll answer this here so everyone can see the answer.

Firstly the back panel.

The 2 and 4 pole connectors are both D size Neutrik connectors so your 4 pole will go in no trouble. I'd leave the connectors out so you can put your own in to wire those however you want. Standard holes that are not populated will be blanked with the standard speakon blanking panel.

The 8 pole is a little more difficult. As you have seen on the Kickstarter page I can supply either the standard binding post or Neutrik back panel as a standard at no cost difference. I can't supply non standard (even blank would be considered non standard) at the basic cost. The whole point of the project was to be able to provide a certain degree of flexibility using standard machining. There are 2 things that can be done here though, either I can get a panel machined as a custom job and charge you outside of the kickstarter for a custom rear panel, I'm more than happy to do this at cost, it'll only take me a few minutes to draw the panel so just the custom CNC and printing program to pay for - I'm not sure of the exact cost at this time. Second option is for you to bastardise a standard rear panel. You could populate some of the holes with your 4 pole connectors, and then using the afore-mentioned punches that you have, make 2 of the holes bigger. There is enough room to do this so long as you don't pick 2 holes next to each other like in the photo below.

g-size-neutrik.png

For the second question, no not quite, the dual 500 w module is quite a beast of a thing and although there are 4 'slots' the 500 modules take up more than a slot, it's possible to go for 500/500/500 or 250/250/250/250, if you went for the small 100w tweeter modules (which maybe isn't enough for your application?) you could go 500/250/250/2x100. If you really need the 500 for bass and the 250 for the tweeter you'd have to go for 2 boxes loaded with 500/250 modules each.

I hope that all makes sense!! Any questions just ask :D

Some extra cost for a weird back panel is no problem at all; balking at that would be picking at nits when I'd already be in for well over a thousand quid :p

In any event, I remembered a couple of UcD400s are gathering dust from a previous project so I'll cobble up those for the woofer section and grab a 6 channel unit for the mid/mid/highs. The chassis looks like a 2U 400 mm deep Pesante from diyaudiostore, is that correct?

Stefan, is your control board compatible with Hypex nc400 / SMPS600, do you know?
Controlling fans etc for that setup would be interesting to some, maybe.

I've looked into this and the short answer is yes, the longer answer is no :)

The pinouts are completely different with only standby being of any use. There is DC detection provided on the NC400 but only to control the SMPS600. Of course that could be intercepted for user display but would need an addition to my board to do so. There is no temperature detection or clip provided by the NC400 so you'd basically be using my board just to do standby which can be just as easily accomplished with a latching push button and the aux supply of the SMPS.

Some extra cost for a weird back panel is no problem at all; balking at that would be picking at nits when I'd already be in for well over a thousand quid :p

In any event, I remembered a couple of UcD400s are gathering dust from a previous project so I'll cobble up those for the woofer section and grab a 6 channel unit for the mid/mid/highs. The chassis looks like a 2U 400 mm deep Pesante from diyaudiostore, is that correct?

That's great news, thanks.

The case is similar, It's a customised version of the slimline case which are actually manufactured by Modushop in Italy. It's 450mm wide and 350mm deep. OK, I'll be asking all backers about the rear panel choices when production time arrives and will get a price sorted out for you as soon as I get round to the ordering of my cases.

I've looked into this and the short answer is yes, the longer answer is no :)

The pinouts are completely different with only standby being of any use. There is DC detection provided on the NC400 but only to control the SMPS600. Of course that could be intercepted for user display but would need an addition to my board to do so. There is no temperature detection or clip provided by the NC400 so you'd basically be using my board just to do standby which can be just as easily accomplished with a latching push button and the aux supply of the SMPS.

Ok. Thanks for checking.

I'm just going to finish these builds and then I'll get them on the website. I've got all of the components in stock now for all configurations and next week will finish the builds off.

I have actually been taking direct orders from Customers for these as well so if you drop me a PM or email me at admin (at) KJFaudio (dot) Com or PM me here with your requirements, I can do the same prices as the KS campaign for you or if you need something custom I'll quote you. I'll then invoice you direct.

There have been some small changes to the exterior. Customers decided when surveyed that they preferred not to have any milling on the front so they now just have a badge. We alos gave customers the opportunity to have 19 inch rack fronts and/or neutrik speakon connectors at the back for no extra cost to widen the catch net, so pick whatever you want.

Stefan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.