• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Neurochrome Modulus-286: 65W (8Ω); 125W (4Ω) @ <-120dB THD Composite Amplifier Module

Those of you who are interested in a Modulus-286 Kit (Limited Edition) should consider placing your order now. The kit is on sale for $999 while supplies last. Once I run out, there will be no more kits.

I'm down to four (4) kits with black front panel and five (5) with "silver" (clear anodized) front panels.

Get yours here: Modulus-286 Kit (Limited Edition)

Tom

Attachments

• MOD286kit_NewChassis_BLK_Front_whiteBG.jpg
    MOD286kit_NewChassis_BLK_Front_whiteBG.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 664
  • MOD286kit_NewChassis_CLR_Front_Lighter.jpg
    MOD286kit_NewChassis_CLR_Front_Lighter.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 670
I occasionally take on custom builds of my amps. I don't advertise this much. Maybe I should... Anyway. One guy wanted a 4-pin XLR on the front of his Modulus-286 Kit (LE) so he could power (inefficient) headphones with it.

I gotta say that drilling into that pretty black anodized front panel was a bit of a harrowing experience. I drilled to 23 mm diameter with a stepped drill and enlarged the hole to 23.6 mm with a file. I protected the panel from scratches with painter's masking tape. The result turned out well, I think.

Tom

Attachments

• MOD286Kit_Black_Custom_Drill.jpg
    MOD286Kit_Black_Custom_Drill.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 369
  • MOD286Kit_Black_Custom_Front.jpg
    MOD286Kit_Black_Custom_Front.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 387
  • MOD286Kit_Black_Custom_Rear.jpg
    MOD286Kit_Black_Custom_Rear.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 353
Picking up on the guitar music theme (Santana etc..) try Gerardo Nunez for some great flamenco.
Luckily, I'm old enough to have seen Santana (early), Clapton, Hendrix, Zoot Horn Rollo,
Paco de Lucia......
As to kits; had fingers (metaphorically) burned by a Linsley Hood kit in 1980, that occillated badly. The Neurochrome is getting high praise on AOS site here in UK.

Unit 28 of 28. First impressions.

Source is the dual Soekris dam1021 in my signature.

I thought the NC400's was excellent until I turned on the neurochrome. After a day of listening back and forth I find the smacking highs and resulting decaying percussion simply doesn't sound as good on the NC400 compared to the 286, clarity of the 286 is very evident. It brings things more in line of the experience I get when running the the HD800's via the Wire BAL-BAL headphone amp.

Just when you thought you reached the limit of the KEF R300 they still have a lot more to give here. Don't get me wrong both amps sound very good but when comparing the two the 286 simply sounds more open and flowing, especially on percussion and anything that has high pitch its more pronounced and with more complex heavy metal material it literally pushes all those instruments through in a much less muddled fashion. Lower volume listening seems to make these differences more pronounced for the 286. Nice!

Despite the reduction in headroom between the amps there doesn't seem to be any difference in power at my average listening levels.

So far most of my listening material for comparison was TOOL Fear Inoculum 96khz release, having played the album to death on the NC400 since its release and now playing it on this amp I can hear significant differences in clarity.

Lastly there maybe some truth behind the Ncore and the output inductor changing the listening experience from one day to the next depending how long you listen, after seeing Bruno explaining why his Purify amps are better it makes you wonder.... infact it was seeing the Purify amp reviews that made me finally bite the bullet on the Neurochrome, after eyeing Tom's amps for a good few years now but I never as I figured my NC400 was good already. I doubted it would ever be an improvement over ncore, until now. I see a lot of people bash class D like mad, refusing to touch it, maybe there is some truth to it?

Very nice amp, well worth the price of admission. Look forward to your future projects.

Attachments

• 20191113_125133.jpg
    20191113_125133.jpg
    677.6 KB · Views: 474