• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Output transformers for DACs

Actually this graph is for 9038q2m without my transformers - it is for stock version on 5532 OpAmp output. SMPCB board sounds much worse compared to Ian's DAC (they are simply from different leagues) that is why I suggest it doesn't matter is there hump on SMPCB or no. If I will find the way to make this test on Ian's DAC, then I will post it, but before this happens, this test gives nothing nor about my transformers nither about DAC and getted sound.

hi, there,

on #1 this thread you have es9038q2m out put from your transformers, can you pls do a ' imd vs level ' measurement on that setup.

thanks

Done. I have generated 60 SMPTE files in REW from 0 down to -60dB. After that I played them one by one in foobar player (wasapi) and have fixed every Imd value shown in Spectralab with fixing it in the Excel table. This was done for transformer output and for stock NE5532 OpaAmp output on the SMPCB ES9038Q2M board (SMPte on SMPcb - funny by ear :) )
So, here are the measurements:

SMPTEvsLevel.png

SMPCB_ne5532vsTransformer_IMDvsLevel.jpg

I do not sure that imd measurement in spectralab takes in to account the second signal (7kHz) during measurement...
No, not that ... I'm pretty sure SpectraLab does not take into account the second 7kHz signal when measuring the intermodulation distortion coefficient. That is, this is hardly the correct data. Is there somewhere IMDvsLEVEL measurement specifically for this Chinese SMPCB? Well ... To understand, does my curve for 5532 looks like it should look?

I think that there are some members with ESS9038 and AK4499 that used the bisesik i/v trafos, already.

From what we know, the two these DAC's have a lot of current output, I think 60mA for 9038 and 72.8mA for AK4499, they have a lot of energy!
Could they members to inform us about how the bisesik trafos behavior, specially at the low frequencies.
Of course, if there are some FFT measurements at 0dB level to estimated, if there is a core saturation of trafos, they are will be welcome.

Hi!
I have builded up my DSC board (with PPY Reclocker for BBB) and have tested it on Roon (DSD512) for both types of transformers. Defenitely sounds better with step-up transformer. Think I will find the needed turns ratio very soon :)

Do not rush building my pair ... I can wait until you find the magic number :D . I bet on 1:5 , that is my gut talking though

Haven't you tried HQplayer4 with the new EC modulators ? that is really sweet man. Truly recommended.

Do not rush building my pair... I can wait until you find the magic number :D . I bet on 1:5 , that is my gut talking though

Will send PM to you.

Haven't you tried HQplayer4 with the new EC modulators ? that is really sweet man. Truly recommended.

I am very far from all the subtleties at the moment. Roon is much worse in this regard, do you have experience? HQP3 - not an option? HQP4 only?

HQP4 with ec modulators is better, but it takes a high powered PC to do DSD256. 512 is not possible at all.
FWIW, here are the parts I used to build my hqplayer pc
Audio Stuff - Parts

You can get a demo of the hqp4, and it works for 30 mins at a time. But the problem for me was I needed to put together this PC. I imagine its even more expensive over there. Kind of takes a leap of faith.

I have builded PC for Roon already:
Core i3 9100F (9700K 5 time more expensive than 9100F, so want to strat from this at first)
Gigabyte H370M D3H GSM-CF
8Gb DDR4
SSD M.2 PCIe Plextor, 128GB (PX-128M8SeGN)
Corsair TX650W
CUDA Quadro 600 (This card was purchased many time ago for CAD progrmas but... I saw some "magic" words about CUDA offload for HQP and installed it into chasis :) But still do not know will it bring any sense in efficiency or not?
So, I hope it can allow me to start the show with HQP within few days...

I have builded PC for Roon already:
Core i3 9100F (9700K 5 time more expensive than 9100F, so want to strat from this at first)
Gigabyte H370M D3H GSM-CF
8Gb DDR4
SSD M.2 PCIe Plextor, 128GB (PX-128M8SeGN)
Corsair TX650W
CUDA Quadro 600 (This card was purchased many time ago for CAD progrmas but... I saw some "magic" words about CUDA offload for HQP and installed it into chasis :) But still do not know will it bring any sense in efficiency or not?
So, I hope it can allow me to start the show with HQP within few days...

Core i3 can be ok for a first start with hqplayer, but unfortunately much more grunt is needed to reach top results. Just be aware that even Ryzen 3600X or i9 9900K are not enough for DSD512 using EC modulators...
CUDA is ok for convolution or matrix processing workloads, even for some DSD filters; but sorry it is useless for EC modulators heavy load. Then with your system i would expect no more than DSD128 using EC modulators and xtr-2s filter... or DSD256 using non-EC modulators and xtr-2s or ext2 filter. That's reasonably good sonic result anyway, better than any other player i know of.

Last edited: