Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Output transformers for DACs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2019, 01:37 AM   #71
thuanth43 is offline thuanth43  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Do you offer step up input transformers? Ratio 1:10, 500:50k.
Old 15th May 2019, 06:36 PM   #72
bisesik is offline bisesik  Kazakhstan
diyAudio Member

angcl, pair means two units (for stereo), yes
Old 15th May 2019, 06:42 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

thuanth43, not now, sorry
Old 21st May 2019, 01:08 PM   #74
laserscrape is offline laserscrape
diyAudio Member

Can a trafo with a single secondary drive a differential amp input when the primary has a differential input with no ground reference, like with Sabre or AKM?

I can understand the need for 2+2/0.5+0.5 to get a differential output when the primary is referenced to ground (like PCM1792 or single ended DAC), but it seems like you shouldn't need it for the 9038 .

BTW I am using your trafo with TDA1387 NOS DAC at the moment.
The trafo is a much better match for this NOS DAC than the 9038Pro DAC, it sounds better than any delta sigma DAC Ive heard too.
Old 21st May 2019, 03:02 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserscrape View Post
Can a trafo with a single secondary drive a differential amp input when the primary has a differential input with no ground reference, like with Sabre or AKM?

I can understand the need for 2+2/0.5+0.5 to get a differential output when the primary is referenced to ground (like PCM1792 or single ended DAC), but it seems like you shouldn't need it for the 9038 .
There is no relation between both the primary source + coil (no matter if it balanced or single ended signal applied) and the secondary coil\coils, because they are galvanically isolated. I have version 1:2+2 too. If your amplifier can handle sound without ground reference then yes, you can use only one secondary coil.

Quote:
BTW I am using your trafo with TDA1387 NOS DAC at the moment.
The trafo is a much better match for this NOS DAC than the 9038Pro DAC, it sounds better than any delta sigma DAC Ive heard too.
Interesting Is there any additional info regarding signal level and frequency response \ quality on LF when use with 1387? One 1387 chip or parallel circuit?
Old 21st May 2019, 07:10 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisesik View Post
There is no relation between both the primary source + coil (no matter if it balanced or single ended signal applied) and the secondary coil\coils, because they are galvanically isolated. I have version 1:2+2 too. If your amplifier can handle sound without ground reference then yes, you can use only one secondary coil.

Interesting Is there any additional info regarding signal level and frequency response \ quality on LF when use with 1387? One 1387 chip or parallel circuit?
thanks, although I still need to build the 2nd HP amp to use 2 of them in a balanced configuration I can still test 1 amp in 'mono' balanced and see how it works first.

I have only messed around briefly with TDA so far, there was around 8 of them in parallel and output level was much higher than necessary.
Considering the cost you can stack as many of these chips in parallel as you like, but im not noticing much real benefit to it ... others even reported negative effects to SQ for some DACs.
I guess its down to how well the chips are matched.

Last edited by laserscrape; 21st May 2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 22nd May 2019, 04:48 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

Aslong as the DAC and amp ground are connected, the single secondary winding of 1:4 trafo is working properly when connected to the balanced amp input. This is with the primary connected single-ended to TDA1387 aswell.
Old 23rd May 2019, 03:25 AM   #78
diyAudio Member

Do you mean this circuit?
XLR.jpg
Or this?
XLR2.jpg
Old 23rd May 2019, 08:01 AM   #79
diyAudio Member

the first circuit, yes. (plus the I/V resistor)

Output transformers for DACsHide this!Advertise here!