Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Output transformers for DACs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2020, 07:30 AM   #471
bisesik is offline bisesik  Kazakhstan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flikoman View Post
0.3Vrms? That is pretty low. ...
I would like to point one conceptual addition. I have addressed it a few times earlier. Again. The lower will be the i/v resistor seen by any (pure) current-type DAC, like AD1862/65, PCM63/1702/04 the better sound you will get as their output switches works worse when the voltage, converted from output current on the i/v resistor (impedance) is applied to them. Thus anybody should decide what is the sensetivity threshold in his own audiosystem is after DAC?.. I hear that in my system, the values upper than 20 Ohm of the seen impedance become affects on SQ much. It doesn't mean that this value is suitable for any other system (even <10 Ohm are known), but 20 Ohm is a quite common point of practice. Further, 1 mA*20 Ohm= 0.02V. To get 2V it is needed to use turns ratio of 1000! Just unreal to do within the needed FR. Moreover the input impedance of the next stage should be 2MOhms BTW for that. Going down to earth for trying with the widely existing practice of 47kOhm input impedance. The turns ratio for the targeted 20 Ohm impedance seen by DAC, should be ~1:50. The voltage (without internal losses) should be 1 V in this case. I am still trying to make such a ratio, but 22 is achieved for now.

The OpAmp approach is another story, DAC see around zero voltage across its output, but the targeted signal through its feedbacks... Meat grinder...
Old 27th September 2020, 10:33 PM   #472
potstip is offline potstip  Turkey
diyAudio Member

Hello Ivan;

In 4493 there are couple of output voltage/gain options. Is it matters?

Note 14. The analog output voltage with 0dBFS input signal when GC[2:0] bits = “000” is calculated by the following formula:
AOUTL/R (typ. @0dB) = (AOUT+) - (AOUT-) = 2.8Vpp * (VREFHL/R - VREFLL/R)/5.
This expression is equivalent to 5.6Vpp and is differential and irrespective of ground reference or the Vcom bias voltage.
Note 15. The analog output voltage with 0dBFS input signal when GC[2:0] bits = “100” is calculated by the following formula:
AOUTL/R (typ. @0dB) = (AOUT+) - (AOUT-) = 3.75Vpp * (VREFHL/R - VREFLL/R)/5.
This expression is equivalent to 7.5Vpp and is differential and irrespective of ground reference or the Vcom bias voltage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg out.jpg (203.0 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by potstip; 27th September 2020 at 10:36 PM.
Old 28th September 2020, 07:26 AM   #473
diyAudio Member

Hello Erkan. In terms of 4493 SQ itself I don't know, I am not use AK4493 and can not comment. In terms of transformer parameters - it doesn't matter, you will get the same signal level after transformer as before it.
Old 28th September 2020, 08:46 PM   #474
clay-speakers is offline clay-speakers  Australia
diyAudio Member

I use the AK4493 in a few different DAC's I manufacture & it works very well with a 1:1 transformer which Ivan can supply. For the record his transformers sound excellent.
Using the AK4493 in hardware mode a 0dB signal will give you 2v rms out - perfect!
With the chip in software mode you also have higher output level option which gives 2.65v rms out.
Old 4th October 2020, 07:14 AM   #475
tubo is offline tubo  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Hi Ivan,

I would like to order a pair for my D3 tda1541 dac.. pm sent

Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 12:47 PM   #476
diyAudio Member

Hi tubo,
The most funny (on the edge of hysteria) is that Ryan still waiting when his pair of transformers will come to him. Unexpectedly huge delays with Australia airmail/customs/politic rules/etc. More than 2 months on the way
Old 4th October 2020, 01:11 PM   #477
diyAudio Member

Hi Ivan,

Thst is very unfortunate. Will it be possible to ship to great britain? Or fedex to usa if thats an option?

Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 06:59 AM   #478
Patjr is offline Patjr
diyAudio Member

Hi Ivan,
FedEx package arrived yesterday.

So it left you on the 9th and was delivered here in South Australia on the 16th.
Expensive but quick.
Haven't had time for a good sit down listen with a glass of wine yet, but first impressions have put a smile on my face. Thank you for your efforts.
Old 21st October 2020, 05:21 PM   #479
diyAudio Member

Hi Ivan,

I received my package today.. thank you very much
  Reply to this post

Output transformers for DACsHide this!Advertise here!