Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Output transformers for DACs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2020, 01:59 PM   #371
daanve is offline daanve  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
(With exeption of Single ended tube (or other device) pramps - all single ended Gain stages shifting the phase -180deg.)
That sounds funny.
Why would single ended tube preamps not shift phase, and all single ended gain stages shift phase??
Better to make a distinction between current gain and voltage gain stages.
Single ended current gain stages like for example cathode / source / emitter followers do not shift phase.
All single ended voltage gain stages like anode / drain / collector followers shift phase.
Old 5th January 2020, 05:39 AM   #372
Daniel Lin is offline Daniel Lin
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisesik View Post
I/V HAT for Ian's DAC:
Attachment 773788
Attachment 773789
Dear bisesik,

I want to buy I/V hat for Ianís DAC, please PM detailed payment information to me. Thanks!
Old 5th January 2020, 04:07 PM   #373
cbarth is offline cbarth  Norway
diyAudio Member

Has anyone tried transformer output on a dac with digital volume control connected directly to power amplifier or active speakers?
Old 5th January 2020, 04:17 PM   #374
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

I doing this cbarth but Im using Vicol audio R2R volume control. I think they should work similar in principle.
Old 5th January 2020, 04:53 PM   #375
bisesik is offline bisesik  Kazakhstan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarth View Post
Has anyone tried transformer output on a dac with digital volume control connected directly to power amplifier or active speakers?
Of course you can use my transformers this way. There is one only restriction of the amplifier sensitivity vs input impedance. If the input impedance of your amplifier is higher than 4kOhm then you will have no problem to provide 2Vrms of the signal to your amplifier input directly from transformers. If your amplifier have 1kOhm of input impedance, then the output level from the transformers will be 4-5 time less. Again without any sound quality degradation. You can use the direct connection to amplifier anyway.
Old 5th January 2020, 05:03 PM   #376
sq225917 is offline sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 Output transformers for DACs
I've tried this Ian's dac, bisieks transformers and a set of bridged mod86p from tom.c

It's a tiny bit more raw sounding without the pre, not sure if that's good or bad but it does mean running the dac at -30db. I leave the pre in just for source selection convenience
Old 5th January 2020, 05:56 PM   #377
bisesik is offline bisesik  Kazakhstan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
I've tried this Ian's dac, bisieks transformers and a set of bridged mod86p from tom.c

It's a tiny bit more raw sounding without the pre, not sure if that's good or bad but it does mean running the dac at -30db. I leave the pre in just for source selection convenience
In case if the signal after transformers is higher than needed for comfort listening, then it is better to use less value of the resistor after transformers. I suppose that -30dB can be a bit too much for the digital attenuation (due to SNR decreasing compared to analog attenuation). You can leave some amount of digital attenuation possibility. Say, 15dB instead of 30dB. I do not know the input sensetivity of particular amplifier, but to decrease the level gap you will need to use something about 200-500 Ohm after transformers if there was 4k previously. I suppose it will be better in terms of resulting SNR and SQ at least at the DAC side.
Old 6th January 2020, 05:07 AM   #378
clay-speakers is offline clay-speakers  Australia
diyAudio Member

My latest AK4499 prototype DAC using bisesik's transformers uses the output level attenuator in the DAC chip to control output level. This works perfectly & the DAC's transformer output will drive power amps perfectly.
I have been doing this with all my top level DAC's for years now & lots of my customers successfully directly drive their power amps in this manner.
Old 6th January 2020, 08:57 AM   #379
ciccio1112 is offline ciccio1112
diyAudio Member

Hi. Has anyone tried the transformers of Bisesik on the dac DSC and can say an audio level the differences found compared to the chinese output transformers ?? Thank you.
Old 6th January 2020, 11:02 AM   #380
laserscrape is offline laserscrape
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay-speakers View Post
My latest AK4499 prototype DAC using bisesik's transformers uses the output level attenuator in the DAC chip to control output level. This works perfectly & the DAC's transformer output will drive power amps perfectly.
I have been doing this with all my top level DAC's for years now & lots of my customers successfully directly drive their power amps in this manner.
How do you connect output pins for Ak4499?

Output transformers for DACsHide this!Advertise here!