• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

525 DIY - How to build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

it has been a while since for my last log in on the forum, but now I thought to write something here.

I have been working as loudspeaker designer for some years and now my plan is to publish instructions to build loudspeakers world wide. Usually Dayton Audio parts are used on these loudspeakers and those are quite easily achieved every where.

First instructions published are for the 525 DIY, which is a slim floor standing speaker. It works on bass reflex also, but closed enclosure is better in small rooms.

innotolppaa-mallinnettuna-22.3.2018.jpg

Version 15.9.2018 of the instructions can be found here. Relevant information has been removed, but the full instructions can be bought on my web page.

We have some discussion about this loudspeaker on a Finnish forum, but I will tell you information about the development process here also.

Price for 525 DIY

In Finland the price for Dayton Audio parts is a bit higher than for example in US. Aaninen has all the parts for these loudspeakers to offer at price of 750 euros a pair. That is about 840 USD.

I'm sorry, but we don't ship world wide. All the parts can be also purchased from Parts Express and I believe their price is a bit cheaper than ours. There are many other sellers also for the parts.

I think the 65 euros (72,50 USD) is quite a nice price to get the instructions. 24% VAT is included for Finnish economics. Instructions are delivered by email after safe Paypal transaction.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Is the SPL graph on your website measured or simulated?

Do you have directivity measurements that would help us better understand how these speakers behave?

A picture of the implemented speaker would probably also sell better than a computer generated model. I also suggest looking into PayPal buttons. They allow you to click a "Buy Now" or "Add To Cart" button and check out via PayPal. They're more recognizable as options to buy than the form you're currently using. Just a suggestion. You may have to convert your PayPal account to a business account to use the buttons, but that's pretty easy.

Tom

Is the SPL graph on your website measured or simulated?

Do you have directivity measurements that would help us better understand how these speakers behave?

A picture of the implemented speaker would probably also sell better than a computer generated model. I also suggest looking into PayPal buttons. They allow you to click a "Buy Now" or "Add To Cart" button and check out via PayPal. They're more recognizable as options to buy than the form you're currently using. Just a suggestion. You may have to convert your PayPal account to a business account to use the buttons, but that's pretty easy.

Tom

Thanks for your ideas.

The responses on the graphs are simulations based on near field measurements and impedance data. Most important thing to notice on them is that the lanes of the three tweeters aren't shown. That is because of the topology of the tweeters and how they are connected.

First pair of the 525 DIY loudspeakers are in their prototype enclosures which are made of plywood and they look really rough. I don't intend to build better looking ones, not yet.

The plywood loudspeakers are now on a road trip in Finland to anyone who is interested to hear them. They weigh about 22 kg each and the local logistics can move them nicely.

I didn't measure the loudspeakers outside yet and winter is coming in Finland so it might go to next spring. Below are simulated graphs from LspCAD.

Here are the different lanes of the tweeters shown.

vasteet-ja-suodot-13.11.2017.png

Approximation of the total power response by summing the most important off-axis response.

sivuvasteita-ja-niiden-summaa-wmtttmw-13.11.2017.png

Horizontal directivity.

polar-map-vaakasuunnassa-wmtttmw-13.11.2017.png

Vertival directivity.

polar-map-pystysuunnassa-wmtttmw-13.11.2017.png

Notice that these are modeled approximations.

At first I modeled the drivers to know how they could be used. Second step was to build the enclosures based on the first step modeling. After that I assembled the drivers to the enclosures and practically modeled the crossovers with DSP. I am also a dealer for miniDSP products in Finland, so I used nanoAVR HD and an AV-receiver to work with the 6 different crossover ways as stereo.

By the help of the modeling with DSP, I got the real target curves to work with. I also got the impedance data in the enclosure and with all this information I modeled the final passive crossovers.

About the listening experiences, the vertical directivity is quite rough and this makes the loudspeaker quite dark if you listen to them while standing up.

Jussi Hoffrén

I got the Paypal account verified and there is a better way to buy the instructions now.

Here are measurements in my brothers living room which is quite large. Among the dining area it is about 5 meters wide and over 10 meters long. Loudspeakers are positioned on the 5 meters long wall and listening distance is about 3 meters.

Left one:

525-DIY-Nokialla-suljetussa-kotelossa-spectrogram-vasen.png

Right one:

525-DIY-Nokialla-suljetussa-kotelossa-spectrogram-oikea.png

Measurements were made in closed enclosures. There isn't anything extra done to the acoustics in the room.

Price for 525 DIY in Parts Express USA

I checked the total price of the parts for a pair of 525 DIY on Parts Express web shop. It is quite cheaper there than in Finland.

The price seems to include shipping in US and you can get the parts for a pair of speakers in $441,32 today. Binding posts included also, but not the filling wool or cabling.

Quite a bargain, I say.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.