• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

dam1941 - Next Gen Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz DAC module

The trace powering display was cut here:

Attachments

• 2DA6F9C4-64E3-488A-A25D-54CCB7F6B006.jpg
    2DA6F9C4-64E3-488A-A25D-54CCB7F6B006.jpg
    976.3 KB · Views: 857
How about just a power switch to cut the display board off when listening?

That is actually a very good suggestion. I just installed a switch that disconnects power from the display board. With a good power supply, the difference is not that much, especially when exactly same components are being used in both display and digital regulators, however with display off, I have a feeling that the sound is less edgy, with more smoothness. I like it with display off, and volume control still works.

Attachments

• 245DCC79-5366-46E8-96C0-81C8BA974BB6.jpg
    245DCC79-5366-46E8-96C0-81C8BA974BB6.jpg
    580.7 KB · Views: 761
I modified dimdim's ardam1021-lite-project (ArDAM1021 Lite Project | Dimdim's Blog) so that it displays input, sample rate, filter, type and volume in one screen. I didn't use the IR receiver of ardam1021-lite but keep original IR and volume control given by dam1941.
I also added an one way isolator so that it isolates the arduino nano with the dam1941. Since the isolator that I have is one way only, I only connects the TX of dam1941 to RX of nano.

Attachments

• IMG-7944.JPG
    IMG-7944.JPG
    943.2 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG-7945.JPG
    IMG-7945.JPG
    823.3 KB · Views: 585
Hi Soren,

When I work on the Arduino nano, I found that there is no message sent from dam1941 when I press "output" and "xfeed" buttons.
Is it possible to add new message code in future firmware release so that we know such button is pressed?

In addition, I have 2 questions:
1. Right now when I press "output" button, it would lower the volume to -30 automatically. Why is it so and what's the purpose of this output button for?
2. Can the volume/filter/input setting be saved? Each time when I power on it automatically reset.

Thanks

Thanks, Peter,

I could see with the multimeter that that trace is the +5 volts trace - and I see that is what you are switching on and off - I am amazed that the rotary controller still works.

And then I decided to look closer at the schematic and see the rotary controller is connected directly to the main board so if one just wants a volume control no need for all of the other stuff at all.

Of course I ordered the parts for the board yesterday and all I need is a rotary controller.

I do not doubt this has been said before though I missed it and thought I would post this in case someone else just wants a volume control.

Take care,

Last edited:
cut the PCB (display board) if headphone out is not needed

I want to make the Dam 1941 DAC as small as possible and I do not need the headphone control.

According to the manual, " if you don’t need the headphones control section you can cut the PCB (display board) at the point where the ground layer ends".

I will lost button S4 and S6 if I cut the display board PCB at the point where the ground layer ends. Does it mean I cannot setup the remote control afterwards via using those button?

Sam

Hi Soren!
Does crossfeed function in serial work?
I can't find status message in TX.
sV0duX5.png

By the way, the default output is line out.But in manual says crossfeed only valid when headphones are selected.
So, could you please add the output select function for serial.

Thanks!!