• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

dam1941 - Next Gen Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz DAC module

I just found that my dam1921 is using an old version which doesnt support i2s, that's why it doesnt work in my dam yet.

Though I do feel whatever your question is, thread owner as this product's producer could just answer you here too (even same answer for second time, since your second question was answered).

Before my sharing my 1.23 firmware experience, since your were already there, in the umanager. Please try some commands while plugging with a 44.1khz based source wile you are still using firmware 1.21.

1. "?", you will see most commands allowed to run.
2."filters" you will see those filters which are using for your current source. Would you mind to scree shot what your umanager report to you here (just like the screen shot pictures you post )?
3."set filter=soft" then again "filters", "set filter=linear" then again "filters", "set filter=mixed", again "filters", you will see all 4 types of filters' in combination. Could you just post what showed up on your terminal screen here?

Then, if you really would need I2S input, according to DAM1941's official information, there is 1.23 firmware on DAM1941's product page. Just download it.

Get into your same umanager, under#, "download", following using xmodem to send the 1.23 firmware file you download to umanager. As sending file finished, umanager will report you the file was programmed. You may command "update" to update your umanager. Or just command "exit", and power up again, you shall have your firmware 1.23.

Before you "+++" to get into umanager, using broadcast you can use simple short command such as I0~I7, F4~F7, to change input source or filters.

Finally, would you like to get into umanger, and proceed the "set filter=soft", "filters" combination again while plugging a 44.1k source, post your terminal's screen shot here again under 1.23?

Lawrence

Last edited:
May I ask if the 4700uF/10V value chosen for the bigger caps on the board is necessary ?

This elco has an ESR of 17,4mOhm at 1khz measurement frequency.

If I got it right, ripple should not be a factor at all anymore as we are down the road many regs already, no ?

SOoooooo....in theory....what about a nice 40uF MKP from Kemet here...6mOhm ESR...Q-Factor of 675 vs. 1.9 of the original elco...???

I got a collection for the 8 caps as well and will start to play with them just measured them through...KG vs Silmic BP vs. Mundorf BP vs Oscon vs. Kaisei... but all of them are at an ESR around 0,3-0,6 ohm...while the MKPs are in a different league around 0,006 ohm and better.

Wonderful...thanks so much that you share the insides...so, a good spot to replace them with nice MKPs...like the one I just suggested, which has three times lower ESR and will for sure sound much better than any lytics...thanks so much for sharing....this is really fun...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Wonderful...thanks so much that you share the insides...so, a good spot to replace them with nice MKPs...like the one I just suggested, which has three times lower ESR and will for sure sound much better than any lytics...thanks so much for sharing....this is really fun...

Eeh, they sits before the vref regulators, so I believe a large value that gives low impedance at lower freguencies is kinda important. There also sits plenty of ceramics to give low impdance at higher frequencies...

But do as you want, there seems to be a number of people here who believe more in some undefined thing than in electronic engineering....

I believe in my ears to be honest...and I distrust theory...I think theory is great as going in position, but I learned over many years that the sound of the whole PSU makes a big difference...and that goes down to a level where you certainly hear a difference between MKP types in the PsU...let alone lytics or ceramics...

...so which ceramics are in parallel to these caps ? I can start to hunt them, but maybe a hint would be nice...

Regarding the large electrolytics, the best course of action seems to remove them and simply plug the Salas regs into their pads. It looks like when using the J7 connector, the DC passes through the little chokes before it gets to the caps - an entirely unnecessary exercise imho, destroying the effect of a high performance regulator.

I would say one can safely remove every single ceramic cap around this part of the circuit and replace just a few with high performance smd films like ECPU. Perhaps just a single cap by each shift register.

Leaded film caps may or may not sound better, but technically they are pretty useless at decoupling high frequencies due to lead inductance, not to mention the unavoidable connecting wires if they are physically big.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello Soren,

Their seems to be a minor problem with the usb interface and linux. If the dac is connected and power on when i turn on the computer, it works when i'm on linux desktop, but if i'm on the linux desktop and i power on the dac, linux often (maybe 8 time over 10) do not recognize the dac. I need to unplug the usb and plug it again. I guess it's a problem that can be resolve as sometimes it works.

I got similar problem but more problematic with my dac1101, if i start the computer with the dac connnected, linux do not recognize it, i need to unplug and plug again every time.

Ok, I followed your path, Peter and Peter...

355-ACF80-1-FC8-4839-B50-E-E619201-D01-EA — imgbb.com

It is now burning in...buuuuut:

It is already heads and shoulder above the original computer caps. The difference is a big plus on a natural tone and fuller, warmer texture overall. At the same time you get much more micro-details in a percussion or gitarre. It is just much more how these things really sound.

So, this mod is a must for anyone who wants to understand how fantastic Soekris's DAC sound in reality. De-Soldering was a breath with de soldering gun again.

I took the mundorf 15uF/70Vdc with plain/smooth surface, not the raw one...this sounds typically quiet nice in cross-over when MkP are too big or expensive.

I can now parallel bigger brothers of this cap and see how low esr does what while using the same material....or I will try some real mkp next...plus there are those other lytics losted above....

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You forgot to say... "In my system". That fulness could as well be achieved by one or two biquads ;)

//

Ok, I followed your path, Peter and Peter...

355-ACF80-1-FC8-4839-B50-E-E619201-D01-EA — imgbb.com

It is now burning in...buuuuut:

It is already heads and shoulder above the original computer caps. The difference is a big plus on a natural tone and fuller, warmer texture overall. At the same time you get much more micro-details in a percussion or gitarre. It is just much more how these things really sound.

So, this mod is a must for anyone who wants to understand how fantastic Soekris's DAC sound in reality. De-Soldering was a breath with de soldering gun again.

I took the mundorf 15uF/70Vdc with plain/smooth surface, not the raw one...this sounds typically quiet nice in cross-over when MkP are too big or expensive.

I can now parallel bigger brothers of this cap and see how low esr does what while using the same material....or I will try some real mkp next...plus there are those other lytics losted above....

You forgot to say... "In my system". That fulness could as well be achieved by one or two biquads ;)

//

Do you remember hellokitty complaining he could hear no difference between filters on his dac? I recently experienced something similar using the 1941 in its default configuration: hardly any audible difference between filters as everything was masked by its strong sound character. After the simple mods described in this thread filters suddenly became important. The aim is more transparency and neutrality, right? Not some specific sound character.

Reactions: 1 user
That is my philosophy indeed as well. And I am not saying that those Mundorfs are the solution to nirvana. They just show that the DAC has a very high sensitivity on sound quality when you touch these caps. From quiet technical to full, warm and very misically involving...and there are quiet a few ceramics still left as Analog_SA stated...my point: The machine has a very, very high potential...its tuner time now.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Do you remember hellokitty complaining he could hear no difference between filters on his dac? I recently experienced something similar using the 1941 in its default configuration: hardly any audible difference between filters as everything was masked by its strong sound character. After the simple mods described in this thread filters suddenly became important. The aim is more transparency and neutrality, right? Not some specific sound character.

Well if you say so - but I'm not convinced.

//