• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

dam1941 - Next Gen Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz DAC module

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Søren,

can you tell if there is a difference in sound quality compared to balanced dam1121s?
Thinking of a next project ;)

The dam1941 and dam1121 have an almost identical R-2R DAC core, the dam1941 have slightly better vref supplies.

The dam1941 have the new filters, although the dam1121 will get the new filters sometime in the future.

The dam1921/dam1941 have the advantage that all the digital interfaces are integrated and so is the user interface and indicators.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Dear Søren

If I use two 1941 boards, can I use it for one channel? I will use it to unbalanced mode by parallely merging it.

No, those are integrated boards. You will be able to parallel the R-2R networks two and two on a dam1941, instead of running it balanced. But I can't see much advantage to it, a dam1941 already have very low distortion and noise....

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,
Does the 1961 buffer adds any gain to the output voltage.
I don't need any more gain.
1.3V is more than enough for my amplifier to drive the speakers very loud.
I use passive B1 buffer preamp.
Thanks
jx

The buffer board have gain, to end up with the standard 2V RMS single ended output.

But you can do whatever you want, use it or not, or change the gain, schematics and BOMs for the accessory boards are up on soekris.dk

You can also reduce the output level with no side effects by a resistor from output to ground, the direct resistor networks output is a voltage source with 625 ohms output impedance....

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
**** NEWS ****

The dam1921-02 and dam1941-12 are now shipping from me. The online shops should get them soon, the soekris.eu shop will already have them tomorrow Friday, so some people might see them Monday....

As said earlier, we also have the set of bare accessory PCBs in stock, those who ordered before today will get the set for free.

I'm working on the manual, we be ready over the weekend.

Sören,

I have a few questions:
  1. If I do not use the display board in the kit, am I then correct that the VCC5D consumption remains 350 mA (can i ignore the 150 mA for the example display)?
  2. How much current does the included output buffer board use?
  3. Is the serial port on the DAM1941 (J8) isolated?

Mine is up and running since last night.

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 919
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 995
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Sören,

I have a few questions:
  1. If I do not use the display board in the kit, am I then correct that the VCC5D consumption remains 350 mA (can i ignore the 150 mA for the example display)?
  2. How much current does the included output buffer board use?
  3. Is the serial port on the DAM1941 (J8) isolated?

1) Yes, the dam1941 itself is 350 mA max, per manual.
2) The only active parts on the buffer board are the opamps, and you can use whatever you want there....
3) No isolation there, the serial port is designed to only be used for settings and firmware upgrades.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Søren,

1.Will you release 1941's uC source code? That may help me to design my display board without another controller.
2.Does XFeed select or Output select can be controlled over the Serial Port?

thanks.

1) Maybe under NDA to OEMs....
2) Probably in next firmware version....

Please note that the dam1941 uC have all code needed for the example user interface, unless you want something fancier, but then, that something fancier probably have its own uC....