• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

dam1941 - Next Gen Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz DAC module

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thank you Soren,

How it will happen in the following case:
The source is a Windows PC with JRiver player which outputs 6 channels thru PCIe card with 3 AES outputs (3x2 channels). There are a DRC (Digital Room Correction) FIR filter applied for all 6 channels.
If one connect 3 DAM1941 (3x2 channels)(AES input),
will it work correctly (sync/clock wise) ?

Yes, the dam1941's will automagically track....

Does anyone know how to get DSD to work?

When i send in DOP i see the dac locking to DSD, i hear the music but I also hear a lot of static noise.

When sending in native DSD the DAC gets no lock at all...

I am using picoreplayer on a Pi 3 connected to the soekris using USB.
Already tried all different -D settings for squeezelite but to no avail.

Also, what does the dam need, 32bitLE words?

Fixed up my prototype=) This sound really good - my best dac so far (competition is a dacmagic, buffalo 3se with resistor+trafo iv and opus).

IMHO a very good and easy to set up dac for the price, excited to test some output stages!

THANKS Soekris!

Attachments

• DSC_6824.jpg
    DSC_6824.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 843
very cool torb, did you use boot it up and plug music in?

I'm closing in on finishes for my DAM1921...I don't have anything to talk serially to it yet.

do you have a raspberry pi?
it is easy to talk with the dam1941 using minicom

You need only 3 wires:
Code:
J9(DAM)          RPI (GPIO)
--------------------------------
GND Pin 1         GND  Pin 6
RXD Pin 9         TXD  Pin 8
TXD Pin 10        RXD  Pin 10
Install a Raspbian, login via SSH, then install minicom.
Important: the serial port console login needs to be disabled.
Then reboot the Pi.

Use minicom to enter the serial commands directly with your keyboard.

Code:
sudo minicom -b 115200 -o -D /dev/ttyAMA0
Now you can use all the serial commands
eg.
V0 +ENTER Key ...sets the Volume Level to 0 dB
I4 + ENTER Key ...sets The Input to the TOSLINK Input

greetz
tonno

Last edited:
Yup, plug and play=)

Cheers mate

do you have a raspberry pi?
it is easy to talk with the dam1941 using minicom

You need only 3 wires:
Code:
J9(DAM)          RPI (GPIO)
--------------------------------
GND Pin 1         GND  Pin 6
RXD Pin 9         TXD  Pin 8
TXD Pin 10        RXD  Pin 10
Install a Raspbian, login via SSH, then install minicom.
Important: the serial port console login needs to be disabled.
Then reboot the Pi.

Use minicom to enter the serial commands directly with your keyboard.

Code:
sudo minicom -b 115200 -o -D /dev/ttyAMA0
Now you can use all the serial commands
eg.
V0 +ENTER Key ...sets the Volume Level to 0 dB
I4 + ENTER Key ...sets The Input to the TOSLINK Input

greetz
tonno
Much appreciated!

On Saturday January 5, 2019 my dam1921 made music. Package had arrived from Mod House Audio December 14th. I would have been listening at least a week earlier but a nasty case of influenza brought progress to a halt.

I am presently configured with dam1921 powered by the linear supply that is part of Søren’s optional accessories PCB set. Analog outputs unbuffered taken from J13.

Be warned on the power supply PCBA the heatsinks for the three TO-220 regulators are electrically grounded. Two of the three regulators have tabs not at ground so insulating heat transfer pads and mounting screws are required.

Operationally I am very impressed with the dam1921. As of this writing I have only used it with a Windows 10 + JRiver media PC. When the dam1921 is powered on a green LED flashes a few times then stays on steady, I presume signaling successful boot of firmware. The USB 2.0 Microsoft driver immediately found and identified the dam1921. It has connected without incident at first connection and all subsequent reboots. USB hardware and firmware give every indication of being stable, unlike some of my other DACs from other manufacturers that send one into plug-and-pray mode all too often.

Sound quality of the dam1921 easily exceeds my expectations. Tonal colors are very saturated and individual elements of the sound are separated and clearly delineated from each other. Leading edges of transients are very clean with an extra ‘snap’ that renders piano, percussion, and bass instruments with an unusual clarity vs typical HiFi DACs. Bass sounds ‘faster’ and deeper. Complex arrangements are teased apart as individual instruments and the musicians playing them are reproduced with more unique less homogenized voices. The high frequencies are capable of great transparency and when the source material allows amazing delicacy with an almost ethereal reproduction of high percussions’ filigreed detail.

Well done Søren!

I know this is 1941 specific, but the 1021 thread is a bit dead these days and the dac's very much sound the same when modded. The fast bass response is one of the best things I've experienced on my dual-mono build of 1021's, you are right on the mark about everything described. Organic is also another word I like to use, being able to pick out each and every instrument and know directly where its coming from has basically turned music into an enjoyable form of art. I next plan to solder a 320uf capacitor directly over each shift registers to the decoupling cap pins, will be an interesting experiment, to see if I can get the ripple down even further. Total added capacitance to be ~6520uf per vref. A 6.6mm lead spacing surface mount cap will fit over and still fit under my stacked boards.

I have powered up my dam1921 today, the light flashes but I don't a have source yet; so I guess that is why it never steadied. A schiit eitr arrives later this week (only SPDIF); I have a DigiOne at work...will evaluate if a DigiOne signature is next on the list. I really wanted to fit everything in one box, but no dice so I'll have 3 interconnects.

I scratch built the Soekris PS with a flatpack Triad tranny; super easy and few components.

I have a great class A pre/head-amp I'll be taking the raw output to...very excited, hence this post into the discussion with no impression.

I am trying to integrate my 1941, but their is one or two thing that i don't understand.

The buffer board is suppose to be simple, with J1 to J3 to be the output of the opamp, and J2 the Single Ended out. But what about the +8db boost and phone / line switch and led from the control board ?

I don't think these two function are implemented in the buff board, so populate the phone / line switch and led are useless right now ?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I am trying to integrate my 1941, but their is one or two thing that i don't understand.

The buffer board is suppose to be simple, with J1 to J3 to be the output of the opamp, and J2 the Single Ended out. But what about the +8db boost and phone / line switch and led from the control board ?

I don't think these two function are implemented in the buff board, so populate the phone / line switch and led are useless right now ?

The buffer board is just a basic one without headphone amplifer (see schematics for the details). The headphone part of the display board is all in one side, actually designed to be broken of or sawed of if not needed.