• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

dam1941 - Next Gen Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz DAC module

I can confirm that 1.24 beta break remote control function, it was posted some months ago on this thread.
Oh, good to know... So did you find a fix, or just live with not having a remote?

I don't know about the remote issue, let me find my dam1941 and test that...
Thanks! I wonder if it might be quick fix, and perhaps leading to 1.25 beta. Else, perhaps I could revert to the last 'non-beta' version to get the functionality back.

Hmm, I do remember something about swapped channels, but not on what board, so apparently the dam1941....

1.24 was probably to fix that issue.
Ah, I see... So it sounds like if I did revert back to an earlier firmware to get the remote working, it might also bring back the channel swap issue.

Another question that I couldn't find enough info about is regarding the 'mode' setting in uManager. There is the option of 'normal' or 'parallel'. From what I could pick up, 'normal' runs the resistor networks in balanced mode, which would be specifically useful for balanced outputs, and 'parallel' runs each channel's two resister networks with the same phase, summing the two into a single ended output.

Is determining which mode to use as simple as deciding whether one is going to use balanced or SE outputs? In my case, I use SE, so should I switch this to parallel? Or, rather, would this require a topology change in the output stage?

I can see this going two ways... On one hand, since my Jay's Audio DAC offers both balanced and SE, perhaps running in 'parallel' wouldn't be a good idea as the output stage is built around 'normal' mode, where the user has the option of running full balanced outputs if desired. On the other hand, perhaps this isn't an issue, and in fact 'parallel' may offer more precision and a more robust output from the SE outputs... Not sure.

Progress update:

Mr. Hoh of Beatechnik has kindly reached out to help with this. This level of support deserves mention and credit -- so cheers to that, Mr. Hoh! He has provided me with firmware version 1.23, which I will be reverting back to. I recommend that Soekris hosts this fully functional version on their site for people like me who get 'trapped' with having loaded 1.24 beta, but don't have the 1.23 file in order to revert back when they realize they no longer have a remote control.

Might there be a 1.24 'non-beta' version coming which fixes this issue? Or, rather, has development ceased for the dam1941 as it has been replaced by the dam2941?

Before I open the DAC again to revert to 1.23, I want to know about the difference between 'normal' and 'parallel' mode. If there is some advantage for running in 'parallel' when exclusively using the SE outputs, perhaps I should try it (?). Else, since the DAC also has XLR outputs, perhaps it could cause issues to switch to 'parallel' (?). I'm going to wait on the firmware update until I receive some more information about this, in particular.

Hello, two weeks ago I assembled my recently acquired dam2941 board. It is in breadboard state as you can see and it has worked flawlesly from the beginning. I have tried different sources (optical, RCA, USB, even I2S with a Raspberry Pi) Always without problems and with exceptional sound (surprisingly good with the Raspberry via Volumio).

I take this opportunity to thank all the members of the forum. Without them this would not have been possible, especially to members DimDim and Euro21 for his version of ArDAM Lite, and of course to Soren for his creation.

IMG_20240205_093019.jpg
IMG_20240205_093039.jpg
IMG_20240219_170704.jpg
But, recently I'm having a serious problem. After running for a few minutes after turn on, the sound suddenly stops. Sometimes it sounds again after a moment for a while to mute again. If I change the source it tries to sound for a second and then stops again. If I press next track, the same behaviour. This with all avalaible sources. The DAM board led is solid, not blinking at any time, and the screen indicates that it is locked, but there is no sound. So I am totally stuck at the moment.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
UPDATE

I think I now know who was to blame for the DAM malfunction that was driving me crazy. And of course it was ME.
In order to test the Raspberry I had to place the wood that you see in the pictures. That board was somehow resting on the cables of the ArDAM lite to the Tx and Rx in the DAM board. I noticed that, although the arduino program was set to -3dB on the turn on, it always changed to 0dB (the DAM default setting) after a while and that didn't have to happen. Hence the randomness of the behavior. :h_ache:

Maxi

Reactions: 1 user