• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

dam1941 - Next Gen Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz DAC module

Yes, consumption from UltraBiB for digital supply is much higher then for analog +/- section, and I prepare larger heatsinks for that board, but after trials and first few weeks of longer use, I don’t see that is necessary.
Actual consumption of digital section (with dsp board) never go above 300ma, add about 100ma for shunt and that is all. Of course to avoid excessive unnecessary heat, input Vdc (across C1) must be not so much above 10V (in my case 10,3V), or about 5V higher then Vout.
Good oversized transformers (like Hammond 229C16) also help to keep temp on low side.

Output voltages from UltraBibs are very stable with very very low drift. But is really good to follow Salas advice to go with oversized power resistors with low temp coef and solder them few mm’s above board.

I put output pos-neg jumpers from above but posted picture is old one.

And this is my just finished dam1941, with Salas triplet too and display board (short version, w/o headphone and volume section).
It was pure joy to assembling all during last few weeks and I’m especially proud on my still hands and good eyes to solder tiny smd chips on dsp board.
I set parallel mode in uManager, and wired together + and – pins to use direct unbalanced outputs. I don’t like any CF, transformers, etc.. and connect dam directly to my new toy for next few weeks: dht preamp STC 3A/141A
All working perfectly from the start with nice refined and full integrated sound, from top to bottom. For sure this project is highly recommended from my side, with very good sound for money ratio. Thank you Søren, Salas, Teabag and all others from our DiyAudio community.

Nice building!
Is it necessary to use this perfect regulated PSU for the digital part of the DAC? Or just use 7805? What do you think?

Jan

So if I only use the 7805 to power the digital part, I won't lose the sound quality? I plan to use the superreg from Jan Didden only to power the analog parts

People generally assume that digital is not affected by power supplies or parts choices because it’s “digital”. In my experience, there is no difference between digital and analog: power supply modification or component changes affect the sound quality equally for both.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi Guys,

Probably a silly or obvious question, but I will ask anyway out of an abundance of caution.

Am I correct that a dam1921 can have the output taken directly from resistor ladder to feed a tube preamp without an output buffer?

Attached is the relevant preamp schematic for reference.
View attachment 900870

DAM1921 has 625 Ohm Zout and 1.3V when used single ended. Anything tube behind it is likely detrimental. It does not need gain like 99% of DACs and it has way lower output impedance than 99% of tube stages as well. So what would be the benefit of adding gain and upping output impedance? Exactly: nothing. It would add "tube magic" like higher noise and coloration (certainly with high gain circuits). One can tap oneself on the shoulder that one succeeded to add a tube again in this harsh digital world.

If one persists: with 1.3Veff one one could add a very low gain stage (or buffer). It all depends on the power amplifiers input impedance and gain. Since one can't deny the signal is already produced by "sand" one could consider an opamp stage as a buffer so practically no negative side effects and no added noise/coloration because of absurdly high gain stages. If one uses more than 1 digital or any other modern source (clearly except for old phono stages) and one uses a power/integrated amplifier with normal gain then one does not need gain in the form of a high gain preamp in the very most of cases.

Last edited:
Since one can't deny the signal is already produced by "sand" one could consider an opamp stage

There are just sand switches, nothing to do with the wholesale damage an opamp is capable of.

Imho a single tubed stage is an essential musical ingredient for many systems. It can be in the shape of an active preamp but considering the excellent volume control of the DAM it makes sense to integrate it. Built as it should it will exceed the weight and cost of the DAM by at least a factor of 10 :)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
like higher noise and coloration

Jean-Paul, IMHO you generalize strongly. :-(
At least as much -poorly designed- SS device has "coloration", irritating tone as tube ones.

BTW where are -in this case- noise and "coloration"? :p

Attachments

• #26 preamp Majestic 1 spectrum.jpg
    #26 preamp Majestic 1 spectrum.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 398
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Yes I do but of course it was meant as built in many cases. I see more too high gain tube DIY stuff than I like (in situations where their specifications are not suitable...). Did you see the schematic?

Poor design is poor design whether it is with tubes or without but in the case of tubes many think adding a tube circuit in whatever form makes the DAC a better device. Adding something unnecessary while at the same time degrading technical specifications never has led to improvement. With 2Veff sources a high gain preamp is a thing of the past. With DACs focus should be more on low gain, low noise, low output impedance circuits that can drive any amplifier behind it.

In other words: circuits must be designed for the purpose so with predefined calculated gain and other relevant specifications.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Yes that is the one but with other tubes, no CCS and no TVC behind it :D

When the circuit as attached and discussed is used after the DAC with volume control after the output it there will be "tube magic" indeed.

Attachments

• aikido schematic v4.0.jpg
    aikido schematic v4.0.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 344
Last edited: