Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

dam1941 - Next Gen Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz DAC module
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2019, 05:59 PM   #221
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
euro21, thank you for the explanation, never occurred to me the chip may be running at its limits.
Why all this speculation ? There is plenty of space in the FPGA, it's just a question of implementing, and not the least, testing.
Old 22nd January 2019, 07:47 PM   #222
euro21 is offline euro21  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Thanks Blitz.
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM   #223
odessamarin is offline odessamarin  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default dam1941 - Bryston

Dear all,

I am long time reader and now happy to be a part of diyaudio community.
So Hello!
After some DAC experiments (listening Chord Mojo, Hugo, HugoTT, Hugo 2, Qutest, Bryston BDA-1) I decide to try R2R technology.
My crazy idea is to use very good analog stage and Power supply part of my Bryston BDA-1. Somehow, I plan to isolate a bit outdated digital part of Brystone and use it to power dan1941 board and also to use Bryston famous fully discrete output analog stage. There is aslo a lot of space to put dam1941 inside. Please take a look my scheme and photos... and tell me if this is crazzy idea and i better go to assembled dac, but obviously less fun there )
I am no an electronic engineer but can solder and like it.
Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAC1.jpg (186.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 20181215_130544.jpg (892.5 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 20181215_130600.jpg (991.9 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 20181215_130531.jpg (758.4 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 20181215_130553.jpg (988.6 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Bryston1.jpg (26.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg BDA-1.jpg (54.8 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by odessamarin; Yesterday at 10:06 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM   #224
analog_sa is online now analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odessamarin View Post
and tell me if this is crazzy idea
Confirmed. It is a crazy idea

But no reason why it won't work.

I personally do not see much value in the PS, or the output stage, but the casing is certainly nice. The question is how many additional holes will be needed and how will this reflect upon the cosmetics.

You will need +-5v for the analogue supplies as well, which perhaps means an additional set of regulators.

The DAM does not necessarily need an active output stage. I would expect the Bryston stage to reduce the transparency without adding much value in the case of an active preamp and reasonably short cables. If you intend to go directly to a power amp or headphones and use the digital VC, then the output stage seems like a good idea.

And lastly: would i do it? No way.

Last edited by analog_sa; Yesterday at 10:43 AM.
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM   #225
odessamarin is offline odessamarin  Italy
diyAudio Member

@analog_sa

Thank you for reply and comments.
Yes, I plan to use Brystone BHA-1 balanced connected as an amplifier after DAC. And i know this headphone amp can work well as preamp also. From what you point out, dam1941 in this setup can be used without any problem directly and no need of any additional bufer o analog out stage? is it correct? It will even do pathway more simple and clear. And if is true, then my ides will only benefit for PS section which is not that interesting. And I also forget about analog 5V source for dam1941. Seems what I though is not that sexy anymore (
Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM   #226
diyAudio Member

The Bryston's +15V/-15V PSU almost unusable for 1941 DAC (+5V, +5V, -5V).
BTW 78xx, 79xx regulators are very mediocre ones compared to low noise, low impedance PSU devices (LT304x, shunt regulators, Jung superreg etc.).

1941 output voltage is enough high, no need amplification (and output impedance is enough low to drive anything).

I would (I'm in the implementation phase of my 1941 DAC) use only an isolating device, the high impedance 1:1 transformer (to minimising ICs in signal path) -Cinemag 15/15B, Jensen JT-11-P-1 or similar).
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM   #227
nashbap is offline nashbap  United States
diyAudio Member

I would (I'm in the implementation phase of my 1941 DAC) use only an isolating device, the high impedance 1:1 transformer (to minimising ICs in signal path) -Cinemag 15/15B, Jensen JT-11-P-1 or similar).[/QUOTE]

Do you mean transformers after the unbuffered XLR outputs and just before your preamp? If so why?

Thanks.
nash
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM   #228
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashbap View Post
Do you mean transformers after the unbuffered XLR outputs and just before your preamp?
Yes.
I'm a "conservative", hate to use any chip pin as output to potentially unknown device without protection. Static charging, spikes etc. from another device can ruin it output pin.
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM   #229
nashbap is offline nashbap  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro21 View Post
Yes.
I'm a "conservative", hate to use any chip pin as output to potentially unknown device without protection. Static charging, spikes etc. from another device can ruin it output pin.

OK
Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM   #230
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro21 View Post
Yes.
You don't need to worry too much for the dams, the direct output have 10K resistors to each chip output, so it can take a lot of abuse....

If you want to be safe, put a low capacitance TVS across the outputs, you don't need transformers, unless you want the sound colored....

dam1941 - Next Gen Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz DAC moduleHide this!Advertise here!